follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
Stevemode

Drives: "Baby Gurl" of FBM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Uploading the pictures to the site has been the easiest way for me. I really want to see too!

All fixed!

For the last couple years the only forum I posted pictures on was the jr dragster website where the owners didn't allow forum hosting so I just got used to 3rd party hosting. Here I am asking the I.T. guy at work to buy me a domain and hosting. lol. Man, big thanks for pointing this out.

IG: Stevemode62
Stevemode is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevemode For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #16
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,125 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemode View Post
All fixed!

For the last couple years the only forum I posted pictures on was the jr dragster website where the owners didn't allow forum hosting so I just got used to 3rd party hosting. Here I am asking the I.T. guy at work to buy me a domain and hosting. lol. Man, big thanks for pointing this out.
Glad to help!

Also I was curious why you went with the non-vvti 2j? I don't know too much about those motors but is just simpler to deal with or such?

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #17
Stevemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Glad to help!

Also I was curious why you went with the non-vvti 2j? I don't know too much about those motors but is just simpler to deal with or such?

Honestly I just asked LJ at FBM which one I should get and he told me to get the non-vvti. I don't know if he prefers it for simplicity of not dealing with the vvti or if it's another reason. I've learned to just take his advice and not ask questions. lol

Old 10-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #18
Stevemode

It's the little after work projects I think I enjoy most about this build. This week was more ride height checking (shock stroke/spring length) of the rear suspension as my MH street tires are the same size as the slicks I have. Also added ARP studs all around. I'm not sure why ARP lists three different lengths for FRS studs. I ordered their mid length (part number 100-7728) and other than the front nub of the stud the thread length is the same as the stock stud. I put those on the front, and their longest 100-7729 on the rear. I'll be running an open ended lug nut so more thread engagement is better, but I read the stock studs have issues. This may only be an issue the road racing cars have had but it was a cheap insurance policy.

Pulling the studs into the hub seemed like an great way to damage the threads or the lug nuts so I pressed them in with the vise. Of course the new harbor freight press is in the corner leaking oil... Probably could have still got it done but went to the vise anyway.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #19
Stevemode

The build is moving along with the addition of Outlaw axles from GForce Engineering. They currently make their Renegade and Outlaw axles for the stock diff 86 but I had to wait a bit for the new axles for 8.8 conversion. The difference between the Renegade and Outlaw versions was the alloy used for the CV joints. Even though I'm only planning on 750hp I went with the Outlaw axles because I've learned over the years to always upgrade right off the bat. Learned that the expensive way in my Honda years...

With the axles I *think* the bottom side of the car is complete, but of course there will likely be something that I'm forgetting.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Stevemode For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #20
Stevemode

The 850hp Full Blown intercooler was a bit too large to mount with the stock front bumper support, so a new support bar was constructed. This will still need to be finish welded but I think there's just enough room to fit the intercooler, A/C Condenser, and radiator. Initial test fit is tight, but I should be able to move things around to all work together.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevemode For This Useful Post:
DustinS (12-28-2019), Irace86.2.0 (12-29-2019), Kiske (12-28-2019)