follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #197
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
@Hawk77FT I read that post last night, and I know it's already been mentioned, but I/we really appreciate you taking the time to express everything. That literally made my week. I woke up this morning, and it was snowing AGAIN, doesn't bother me though! I have a residual smile on my face
@eikond Hey, you're a moderator over on the vert forum aren't you! I used to be very active on the KA forum back in the day
@chanomatik We won't forget about you, promise!
@wheelhaus I really like that phrase "me too" engineering. We're not interested in selling something that you can already buy, and I really love when people recognize that. "Me too" engineering is really easy, and probably is easy to make money on, but brings literally nothing worth having to the table.
@2point0 It's guys with attitudes like yours that get me excited to come on the forum and show you what we're working on. You already know how valuable input from folks like you is to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
I like this bar and would upgrade from my SRT bar for this...SRT is similar (single solid piece [flat metal stock mounting tabs welded to the tube], hollow steel tube design, less than $100) but is too close to the AC line and has slight bends in it. I don't think I'll mind the weight increase for better rigidity and clearance of AC line...
The mounting strategy of that bar always threw up a flag to me, as you've mentioned. No doubt though, it makes it very easy to produce. However, just the same, we will be limited on clearance for the AC line.

The only way to add clearance is to raise the bar up higher. To accomplish this, you need to make the brackets taller. However, when the brackets get taller, they become a longer lever arm, and all the sudden the bending loads going into them are becoming much larger. You're already limited in how thick you can make the brackets due to the stud length, so the only option would be to increase the size of the gussets bracing the bracket, which you really can't in an elegant or effective way. So the design solution I've been leaning towards would maximize the strength of the brackets by making clearance to the sound generator number one priority, and keeping the height of the brackets down to minimize the effective length of the lever arm. The sacrifice is not being able to clearance the AC line. We'll either implement a clip, or sheath, etc to protect the line from damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazBRZ View Post
Just in case you couldn't tell. I'm in when the list starts. I'm in for basically anything you guys come up with
Really? Next thing we're coming out with is Tacos!!! Hard Shell of course. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLlPjcu1doq3gTUTGQvulSQgbZd_QcI aIP***Mhu505nxr6pBszQ[/IMG]
I see what you did there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat 86 View Post
I am in I have everything u guys make for the fr-s so why not. Thanks for all the great stuff. What's next lol
You tell us! Any ideas?

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
2point0 (05-01-2013), chanomatik (05-01-2013), Hawk77FT (05-01-2013), RazBRZ (05-02-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #198
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
@eikond Hey, you're a moderator over on the vert forum aren't you! I used to be very active on the KA forum back in the day
Yes sir! I was the original vert forum moderator "over there". After a couple years I was asked to be an admin for the forum as a whole and I've been doing that ever since. Despite not currently having any Nissans in my driveway I'm still plugged in big-time into the forum.

I loved that forum.. still have a soft spot in my heart for the 240sx convertible. One of these days I'll get another one and use it as a weekend cruiser.

To make the world a little smaller.. I'm originally from your neck of the wood as well. I grew up in Eau Claire, WI.. Not far from MPLS.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #199
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Screw the sound generator! Bar should come with a plug for the intake.

Ok, I know it's not for everyone, but I am so glad I removed that piece of crap. I've had the rear seat down all week, enjoying the sound of my Nameless axleback.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #200
mottor

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Rock on! I don't wanna put the cart in front of the horse or anything here, but now is about the time when we'd start scheduling time in the next few months to begin our next FT86 project, so if you fellas have any killer ideas, feel free to share! (If they're super duper killer, give me a call instead. ).

Matt
Engineering
Do you guys have a direction you're hoping to go for your next project? Rear strut tower bar would be nice if you think there's improvement to be made. I mentioned headers before just because it seems to be a place to make a HUGE improvement on the car, and there aren't that many vendors offering them yet.

Rear camber seems to be a continuous issue for many of us and there are only a few good solutions thus far. You have LCAs, which tend to be expensive. I've also heard that some of these can negatively affect toe as well. Then I've read where some people are using camber bolts shaved down and placed where the LCA connects to the frame. I'd personally prefer not to modify a part to make it work.

We have intakes and sway bar options aplenty, though I don't recall any of them being head and shoulders above the rest.. There are a couple of short shifter kits, and a couple of options for pulley kits, though I'm not sure how much improvement could be made on others' designs.

I'll keep brainstorming. If anyone else likes any of these ideas they can second it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mottor For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #201
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottor View Post
Use tapatalk or tapatalk 2 and just login to the forum through the app. It gets me by when I don't have access to my PC.
Hey! Don't try to take responsibility away from these guys! They should be watchin' my back! hahaha

Nah, that's a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #202
SonnyBRZ

Drives: 15 WRX 6mt (DD), 13 BRZ Sports Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely interested and ready to pay deposit.

SonnyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #203
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
[MENTION=13868]The mounting strategy of that bar always threw up a flag to me, as you've mentioned. No doubt though, it makes it very easy to produce. However, just the same, we will be limited on clearance for the AC line.

The only way to add clearance is to raise the bar up higher. To accomplish this, you need to make the brackets taller. However, when the brackets get taller, they become a longer lever arm, and all the sudden the bending loads going into them are becoming much larger. You're already limited in how thick you can make the brackets due to the stud length, so the only option would be to increase the size of the gussets bracing the bracket, which you really can't in an elegant or effective way. So the design solution I've been leaning towards would maximize the strength of the brackets by making clearance to the sound generator number one priority, and keeping the height of the brackets down to minimize the effective length of the lever arm. The sacrifice is not being able to clearance the AC line. We'll either implement a clip, or sheath, etc to protect the line from damage.

Chase
Engineering
SRT bar is low and fits best under the AC line, though the line pretty much rests directly on top of it. The Grimspeed bar appears to at least fit better above the AC line with more space, plus a better, more rigid design. Prototype looks pretty much how I'd want it.

What is this sound generator you speak of...ohhhh, you mean the worthless piece I got rid of and cleaned up the engine bay by removing when I made a custom intake system?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #204
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sounds good! We'll add you to the 'interested' list when the time comes. Thanks for the support! We think you'll enjoy the upgrade.

Matt
Engineering
Matt,

Add me to your list too.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #205
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
It got me thinking, since I will be buying this strut bar unless final testing goes pear shaped which seems unlikely, why not all the chassis reinforcement parts as well? i.e. rear strut, members/fenders/pillars bracing- the whole package..
Will you guys be looking into this?

The best thing is that we would be able to see the testing results which I don't think anyone has provided so far in that segment.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #206
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Hypothesis:
One needs to upgrade the suspension and bushes before the benefit of a tower brace becomes apparent. That is, there is more flex in the bushes than in the chassis and until that is eliminated the benefit of the tower brace won't be noticeable.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 05-06-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #207
DIE1000DEATHS
TechNINJA

Drives: Whiteout MT, 87 Mustang, 09 RUCKUS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottor View Post
Do you guys have a direction you're hoping to go for your next project? Rear strut tower bar would be nice if you think there's improvement to be made. I mentioned headers before just because it seems to be a place to make a HUGE improvement on the car, and there aren't that many vendors offering them yet.

Rear camber seems to be a continuous issue for many of us and there are only a few good solutions thus far. You have LCAs, which tend to be expensive. I've also heard that some of these can negatively affect toe as well. Then I've read where some people are using camber bolts shaved down and placed where the LCA connects to the frame. I'd personally prefer not to modify a part to make it work.

We have intakes and sway bar options aplenty, though I don't recall any of them being head and shoulders above the rest.. There are a couple of short shifter kits, and a couple of options for pulley kits, though I'm not sure how much improvement could be made on others' designs.

I'll keep brainstorming. If anyone else likes any of these ideas they can second it.
Get the H&R TC212 camber bolts and you won't have to modify anything. They'll fit and work fine in the rear LCA.
DIE1000DEATHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #208
Sgt.Beardface
OMOH O2

Drives: Midget Women Crazy!!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can I please get on the interested list as well? Although I'd really like a definitely list. Thanks much!

-Chuck

I calls her Mrs. Lohan LIKE A SIR!!
Sgt.Beardface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #209
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
It got me thinking, since I will be buying this strut bar unless final testing goes pear shaped which seems unlikely, why not all the chassis reinforcement parts as well? i.e. rear strut, members/fenders/pillars bracing- the whole package..
Will you guys be looking into this?

The best thing is that we would be able to see the testing results which I don't think anyone has provided so far in that segment.
That I really can't say yet, because I don't know. We have a product design schedule here, and we design for more than just the twins. We also don't stack too much on our plate at one time, otherwise the chances of missing an important detail or missing a deadline, etc becomes that much greater.

With that said, we have been talking, and anywhere where we can identify room for improvement we're willing to do some testing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Hypothesis:
One needs to upgrade the suspension and bushes before the benefit of a tower brace becomes apparent. That is, there is more flex in the bushes than in the chassis and until that is eliminated the benefit of the tower brace won't be noticeable.

Your thoughts?
Capn, excellent question. I am a man of science, and my bullcrap meter is precisely calibrated. There is a reason I've never put a strut tower brace on any of my personal cars, and that's because I didn't believe in their potential benefit. Now, if I had ever seen any empirical evidence contrary to that claim, I might have purchased one. ESPECIALLY when we're talking about a brand new car, not some tired worn out chassis.

So I wanted in on this project bad. Then we started testing and I changed my mind. After I had prototyped our test bar, I had left it on the car in the shop. Unbeknownst to me, an employee here had driven the car briefly, and came to me the next day and told me the car felt a lot tighter, just driving through the pot holes and terrible pavement in an area by the shop, he was not even driving the car hard. I thought to myself: "no way."

Then Matt and I set up our test rig to measure deflection between the towers, and he drove while I rode passenger. We did back to back runs in the same areas, doing the same tests, within 10 minutes of each other. We immediately could tell the difference, and I mean WE. We hadn't even measured our data and we were already extremely excited. Even just riding passenger, I noticed how less harsh the car is going through potholes and irregularities in the road. Matt, as the driver, kept saying it was "a night and day difference."

So to answer your question I would have to say that you can absolutely tell a difference, mostly in consistency but also in decreasing NVH. With that said, the values of deflection we're seeing for the strut towers relative to each other probably equate to a fraction of a degree of camber change, so it's not like it's completely changing the car's handling characteristics. However, we are seeing the values of deflection oscillating between tension and compression in long sweeping turns, and since in a turn the strut towers will tend to deflect in the same direction, its clear that minimizing that oscillation adds a much more consistent feel and loading to the tires.

So I'd just like to reword your question a little bit into an answer. Yes, to us (your experience may vary) you can tell a difference between having a strut brace and not having a strut brace on an otherwise stock (we have coilovers) vehicle. However, when you start to modifying other parts of the suspension, such as changing to stiffer bushings, additional bracing, etc the need for a brace between the two strut towers will grow, as you will see even more deflection at this point as you minimize compliance and deflection in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Beardface View Post
Can I please get on the interested list as well? Although I'd really like a definitely list. Thanks much!

-Chuck
Don't worry, we won't miss anyone!

It's Monday again, and I know you're all excited for it As far as I see it, we're a week closer to making this strut tower brace a reality!

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
2point0 (05-06-2013), Captain Snooze (05-06-2013), kwood9000 (05-06-2013), RazBRZ (05-07-2013), Sgt.Beardface (05-06-2013), SkAsphalt (05-07-2013), tripjammer (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #210
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I've tried to be strong. My will has been sapped. Resistance is futile.
Put me on the list.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (05-07-2013)