follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Dean

Drives: 2006 corvette z06
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks like a supercar....

They're acting like it is a super car, and it has the ingredients to become an affordable sports car. BUT, a 2 liter 200 horsepower engine will not cut it. I have been lurking these forums for a while and I had no intentions on making an account until I read that "sources say it'll do 0-60 in 7 seconds." that's the deal breaker for me. So this car will probably cost about 25k, and what exactly are you paying for? A nice body and a few shiny led lights? What are you going to do when you're at a car show with this thing? I'd be so embarrassed to lift the hood up. Another thing, when I take this thing to Sebring I'm not going to be able to live with myself after spending 24k on a car that struggles to pull up to 120 mph. Call me a horsepower or torque freak, but that's a waste of money. You know they're rating the horsepower at the flywheel too, imagine what it's putting to wheels! That's just my two cents but I'd hate to see anybody get ripped off so badly.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
They're acting like it is a super car, and it has the ingredients to become an affordable sports car. BUT, a 2 liter 200 horsepower engine will not cut it. I have been lurking these forums for a while and I had no intentions on making an account until I read that "sources say it'll do 0-60 in 7 seconds." that's the deal breaker for me. So this car will probably cost about 25k, and what exactly are you paying for? A nice body and a few shiny led lights? What are you going to do when you're at a car show with this thing? I'd be so embarrassed to lift the hood up. Another thing, when I take this thing to Sebring I'm not going to be able to live with myself after spending 24k on a car that struggles to pull up to 120 mph. Call me a horsepower or torque freak, but that's a waste of money. You know they're rating the horsepower at the flywheel too, imagine what it's putting to wheels! That's just my two cents but I'd hate to see anybody get ripped off so badly.

Bla bla bla bla.... we have heard it all before.

This car's soul and design is not to be a straight line/drag race/light to light car. It is meant for the curves. The car is going to be light (hopefully well under 2700lbs), fun to drive, great handling, and go back to its original roots of the AE86. If it doesn't sound like a car you will like there are other options for you; Mustang/Charger/Camaro/Genesis Coupe...etc. No need to come here and tell us what the car will be.

And by the way, you know power to weight ratio means more than peak hp, right? Always easier to add hp, much harder to subtract weight.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You have a corvette, why are you here?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Ban hammer. plus 0-60 is not everything. What if the car can do 14.6 in the quarter mile? that would be better than the Gensis Coupe and funner to drive than a Mustang or Camaro anyday
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
They're acting like its a sports car, with superb handling and agility. Why? Because it will have both, if they keep it light weight. The low center of gravity + the FMR (Front-Midship mount-Rear drive, its not an actual FR) + light weight = an absurd cornering beast....which is what they've been acting like it will be.

Oh it LOOKS like a supercar because its a freekin' concept car. Concept.

$25k, for the umpteenth millionth time, is not an official MSRP.

Here, look at it this way...are you the kind of the guy to spend $25k on a sport package Miata? No? Then fetter off and keep your z06. Should've kept lurking.

Not sure what I'd do at a car show with my FR-S...probably cause it won't see one. It'll be at the track with me behind the wheel, doing circles around 'real mens cars'.

Watch out though guys, we're getting ripped off.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
You have a corvette, why are you here?
Because when i saw the car, i had to have it. And when i read what engine it had, i was shocked. All that engine space, such a waste.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Don't feed the troll.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
Don't feed the troll.
I have to. I'm...compelled.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
They're acting like its a sports car, with superb handling and agility. Why? Because it will have both, if they keep it light weight. The low center of gravity + the FMR (Front-Midship mount-Rear drive, its not an actual FR) + light weight = an absurd cornering beast....which is what they've been acting like it will be.

Oh it LOOKS like a supercar because its a freekin' concept car. Concept.

$25k, for the umpteenth millionth time, is not an official MSRP.

Here, look at it this way...are you the kind of the guy to spend $25k on a sport package Miata? No? Then fetter off and keep your z06. Should've kept lurking.

Not sure what I'd do at a car show with my FR-S...probably cause it won't see one. It'll be at the track with me behind the wheel, doing circles around 'real mens cars'.

Watch out though guys, we're getting ripped off.
From what i've heard on this forum this is what the car will look like except for a few minor changes. why not be civil and have a regular conversation instead of being offensive? You're so mature
Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
Dean

How am i trolling? this car looks amazing, i want it so badly, but 200 horsepower is weak. an s2k comes stock with more for gods sake
Old 05-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Bla bla bla bla.... we have heard it all before.

This car's soul and design is not to be a straight line/drag race/light to light car. It is meant for the curves. The car is going to be light (hopefully well under 2700lbs), fun to drive, great handling, and go back to its original roots of the AE86. If it doesn't sound like a car you will like there are other options for you; Mustang/Charger/Camaro/Genesis Coupe...etc. No need to come here and tell us what the car will be.

And by the way, you know power to weight ratio means more than peak hp, right? Always easier to add hp, much harder to subtract weight.
This car is going to weigh much more than 2700 pounds, thats a fact. The power to weight ratio is isn't that great considering its probably only going to have 170 to the wheels
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
I have to. I'm...compelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
This car is going to weigh much more than 2700 pounds, thats a fact. The power to weight ratio is isn't that great considering its probably only going to have 170 to the wheels
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post

The lotus elise/exige is a lightweight, good handling sports car, and if my memory is correct it weighs about 1800 pounds, maybe a little more. thats probably about a thousand less than the ft-86 and the base lotus, lowest of the low, has 189 horsepower. Maybe that'll get through to some of the thicker skulls here.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
NikostC
JDM Enthusiast

Drives: Scion tC
Lotus=$

Closed Thread