follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #29
QueenBRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ Dark Grey Metallic
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright so today I installed the Racecomp Engineering SuperStreet-1 coilovers. The installation was a breeze, and initial impressions are amazing. Not that these are marketed towards that stance life, but as I was adjusting the ride height, I was surprised by how low these can go. I eventually settled on 1 1/2 finger gap all around and set the dampeners to 1 click away from full soft.

Initial impressions based on a 2 mile shake down around the block:

Near full soft, the ride feels very similar to the stock Sachs dampeners with stock springs. Not bouncy at all, but composed and precise as it handles low speed and high speed varying road conditions.

Next, I set the rebound to the middle dampening setting, and noticed the ride was similar to the RCE yellows paired with the Sachs dampeners, but VASTLY improved. The chassis just felt firmer, more composed and was very responsive under mid to high speed road conditions. The car was not upset or unsettled at all at this setting.

I’m going today to Chewerks, in City of Industry to get the car properly aligned. Once I get the alignment, I’ll have better impressions and a more thorough report on how they handle. In addition, I’ll be going to autocross in two weeks, so I’ll be adjusting the rebound, to see how the car feels and reacts to the adjustments.

TLDR:

Overall, I think for track and spirited driving, the middle setting of rebound is where it is at. Racecomp Engineering took all their years of experience, took everything they liked about how the Yellow springs felt, got together with KW and created a coilover with valving which totally changed my mind on what coilovers are capable of. If you’re on the fence, buy them and know you’re buying a product which is quality. Anyways, I hope my words will give everyone here some better insight on this awesome product.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ss-88SRBk[/ame]
QueenBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to QueenBRZ For This Useful Post:
jkamelo (01-01-2021), Racecomp Engineering (10-22-2018), RL_BRZ (04-22-2019), Shark_Bait88 (10-21-2018), SorryTires (10-28-2018), Teseo (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #30
QueenBRZ

Okay update time. I went to Chewerks yesterday to get my car aligned and dialed in. Check out the photo for the exact specs. I wanted a daily driver friendly setup, with the option to track and canyon carve. I feel our settings right now meet that balance.

DAILY DRIVING:
As for daily driving, as I said yesterday, I set the car all around 1 click away from full soft. Initial impressions are IMPRESSIVE. The car handles low speed and mid speed bumps so well now. The car feels softer than the OEM sachs dampeners. At this setting, the ride quality is not jarring at all; the vehicle is composed and sporty. The best comparison I can think of is a GOLF GTI (Sporty handling, with European quality ride comfort). The car soaks up the bumps while maintain a quality ride. THIS IS THE SETTING I RECOMMEND FOR DAILY duties.

At that time, I went to my local canyon, Glendora Mountain Road, to test how the coilovers reacted to various settings.
DISCLAIMER: My testing is still a work in progress, but I’m fiddling with how the car reacts to different rebound adjustments.

Canyon Carving settings I liked:
Next, I set the car to the middle-rebound setting all around and found the ride quality to be similar to the Sachs Dampeners with the RCE yellow lowering springs, but with several improved differences. The chassis and response were firmer and more direct. Where the Yellow springs would jar and rebound harshly when exposed to bumps, the Superstreet-1 coilovers would react to the road settings and deliver an improved, more precise feeling. I struggle to find the right words, but my butt dyno could feel a difference. The chassis felt more sport tuned and confidence inspiring.

Next I adjusted the rear rebound to about 2-3 clicks from full soft and kept the front at the middle rebound setting.

This setting really did make the car come alive. The chassis felt more composed, direct, and was not startled or affected by mid corner bumps or undulations of the road. In addition, the grip limit of my tires seemed to improve. Since the 86 platform is tail happy, adjusting the rear to softer rebound really did allow me to get a little bit more out of coilovers.

There is much more that can be said about these coilovers, and I'll have more words in the coming days as I take it to another auto cross event. But for now, the coilovers have exceeded my expectations. Racecomp Engineering really did set the bar high for the competition. Their research takes all the guess work out of the equation for the consumer. If you buy these coilovers, know you're buying a product from a proven company with representatives who are active in the community and willing to help. Also, as my testing is showing me, the adjustability of the rebound really does make a difference with how the car feels and handles. I definitely recommend these for anyone wanting to take their car to the next level.

Last edited by QueenBRZ; 10-22-2018 at 06:07 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to QueenBRZ For This Useful Post:
bhmax (10-22-2018), jkamelo (01-01-2021), norcalpb (10-22-2018), notout86 (10-24-2018), Racecomp Engineering (10-23-2018), SorryTires (10-28-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #31
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Nice write up Queen. Did you purchase these or were you provided them for review? As someone whose never really bothered with coilovers, if i did, i would definitely have RCE at the top of my list.

Wonder how long they last before rebuild?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 PM   #32
QueenBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Nice write up Queen. Did you purchase these or were you provided them for review? As someone whose never really bothered with coilovers, if i did, i would definitely have RCE at the top of my list.

Wonder how long they last before rebuild?
I purchased these and all the items I put on my car. These coil overs are a quality product manufactured by KW to Racecomp’s specifications. I’d assume they would easily be rebuildable. I can’t speak on the longevity but I’d assume it would be quite the high amount of miles.

Even if you aren’t interested in coil overs I’d recommend lowering springs as a good performance upgrade. Definitely a worthwhile addition
The Following User Says Thank You to QueenBRZ For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #33
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
We did make sure @QueenBRZ got one of the very first sets (and I had to wait an extra week for my set!!! ) but we don't really give people parts for free.

I've personally been really impressed with her enthusiasm and vision for her car, but also the commitment to learning about driving, the technical side of her car, and doing the work herself. It's very cool to see from anyone and honestly pretty refreshing.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
venturaII (01-18-2019)
Old 10-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #34
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Andrew, how does this suspension kit compare to B6 bilstein/Tarmac spring combo?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #35
R2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How do these compare to the Tein Flex A series with regards to stroke length and suitability for track use on RE-71r's?
R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #36
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBRZ View Post
I purchased these and all the items I put on my car. These coil overs are a quality product manufactured by KW to Racecomp’s specifications. I’d assume they would easily be rebuildable. I can’t speak on the longevity but I’d assume it would be quite the high amount of miles.

Even if you aren’t interested in coil overs I’d recommend lowering springs as a good performance upgrade. Definitely a worthwhile addition
Cool...

I have tried just lowering springs and never liked how they rode, the damping just never felt right to me. Rather have slightly overdamped stock shocks than slightly underdamped stock shocks. I am kind of wanting to try coilovers but for my mostly highway commute it seems overkill (though i do drive aggressively on fun windy roads).

How are the top mounts in terms of NVH, Queen? Going over speedbumps, entering driveways, everyday "street" driving stuff?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #37
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm with you, Decep. I'd rather have a bit too much damping than too little. That's why I prefer the B16s over the T2s.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #38
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm with you, Decep. I'd rather have a bit too much damping than too little. That's why I prefer the B16s over the T2s.
The T2s have a lot more damping capability than the B16s. Like, a lot more. I'm glad you like the B16s as they have their own feel and are easier to tune to your liking.

- Andrew
Pat (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #39
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2 View Post
How do these compare to the Tein Flex A series with regards to stroke length and suitability for track use on RE-71r's?
No first hand experience with the Flex As. I'm sure the hbs helps but I'm not sure if there's anything reasonably priced with more bump travel than these SS1s at a 1 inch drop. A big part of that is the front lowering camber plate, but also KW have a good amount of travel.

As for track use with RE-71rs, they'll work great! I still recommend T2s for more serious track work but the SS1s are simple, fast, and fun.

- Andrew
Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #40
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Andrew, how does this suspension kit compare to B6 bilstein/Tarmac spring combo?
Better ride, less roll, and adjustable.

- Andrew
norcalpb (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #41
QueenBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Cool...

I have tried just lowering springs and never liked how they rode, the damping just never felt right to me. Rather have slightly overdamped stock shocks than slightly underdamped stock shocks. I am kind of wanting to try coilovers but for my mostly highway commute it seems overkill (though i do drive aggressively on fun windy roads).

How are the top mounts in terms of NVH, Queen? Going over speedbumps, entering driveways, everyday "street" driving stuff?
I haven’t noticed any increase in NVH at all. The car is quiet and well behaved, but comes alive when pushed
The Following User Says Thank You to QueenBRZ For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-28-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #42
2Wavy

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For what applications would you recommend the RCE T2s and what applications would you recommend the SS1? I have a daily driver that I autocross 10 times or so a year and plan on tracking soon, which one would be better for me?
2Wavy is offline   Reply With Quote