follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #2647
kowalski

Drives: 2016 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi there,

First post on the forum. I thought I would share some thoughts and experience with the speedfactory UEL catted header. I had those installed two weeks ago. My BRZ has a 3 inch Perrin resonated exhaust (no noticeable loss, quiet yet gorgeous sound when downshifting), K&N air flter and is now running with a custom stage 2 91 octane UEL tune form @shiv for the headers. I contacted him recently and he was more than helpful sending the custom tune (thx man). Before that I run the headers with stage 1 93 oct tune. No problems at all. No CEL. Nice throttle feel all allong 2.200 - 3.500 rpm (aprox). Front and overpipe are stock. Things to consider if you go the speefcatory86 catted header:

A) You will IMMEDIATELY feel the difference in the torque deep. It is almost gone (but still a little bit there, though it is a HUGE improvement)
B) Your exhaust note will vary. I lost the gorgeous sound of downshifting which I really loved. Bassy - deep sound. God I miss it. Instead, you have a nice rumbly sound when reving above 3000 rpm. It is also a little bit louder, but not much. Meaning if you rev hard on a tunnel you will be noticed, but otherwise is ok.
C) Exhaust note will also vary with new tunes. It did when I jumped from 93 stage 1 to the custom tune shiv sent me for 91.
D) In my setup, headers sound a little raspy - metallic. I do not like that sound as much as I liked the stock header clean flow. Maybe I have to give them some more mileage on them. Don't know.
E) You can put back the bottom shield, it fits just ok. Some have had vibration issues. None of that happened to me.
F) I did not know about the soundtube in the brz (see: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs6ykO4m6O4"]Scion FR-S Sound Tube Mod (Intake noise delete) - YouTube[/ame] ). Thing is, you can silence the incabin motor noise (if you want to do so) with the lighter cap (You have to push it hard into the tube to be really effective). I am not sure if I like it, yet. Planning on putting an inlet hose and sound delete. But still it does make a difference.
G) There are not so many pics of the install from the engine bay view, almost all of them are from below. So I post some of them here.

Thx to @FT-86 SpeedFactory for answering all my questions prior to purchase and kudos to @shiv for custom tunes! (beta v3.0 releases on-the-way see: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=1 )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kowalski For This Useful Post:
cbryant514 (07-15-2017), FLYFISHR (07-13-2017), FT-86 SpeedFactory (07-14-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #2648
kowalski

UPDATE on FT-86 catted headers

UPDATE: After toying around with the new setup, I would like to add some comments:

1) There is a vibration issue at higher speeds and specifically when upshifting and keeping the car in 5th gear. I drove the car and went from 80 to 210 km/h (5th - 6th gear). I do not know for certain if the vibration comes from the bottom shield contacting the headers. Might have to do with wind gust on the downplates, m or the new tune, maybe. But then it should do the same when in 6th gear. Or prehaps at higher speeds it stabilizes somehow. Do not know. I will see if there is anything loose and adjust. I did a recent Whiteline positive traction kit install, so that might come into play. Though the nosie came from the engine bay.

2) I went back to OFT Stage 1 93 octane tune. The car did not feel right with the custom tune shiv sent me. Though it was a 91 octane one. I did not dynoed the car, it might gain some ponies with the custom tune, but numbers that I can not feel are meaningless to me. With Stg 1 93 + headers the car has more "oomph" and feels more stable.

3) It takes some time before the exhaust starts giving rich rumbly notes once you srtarted it. Cold weather makes the exhaust sound better

That's all. Just wanted to share my thoughts.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #2649
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
2) I went back to OFT Stage 1 93 octane tune. The car did not feel right with the custom tune shiv sent me. Though it was a 91 octane one. I did not dynoed the car, it might gain some ponies with the custom tune, but numbers that I can not feel are meaningless to me. With Stg 1 93 + headers the car has more "oomph" and feels more stable.[/U]
This is interesting - I've got the same custom tune and also felt like the Stage 1 tune was more peppy on the street. But when I reviewed my data logs, turns out it was running fairly lean. There was also some FLKC at higher RPM's.

My theory is that the Stage 1 tune feels stronger because it's running leaner and making more low-end torque. But it's actually making less peak power because of the FLKC at higher RPM's.

My fuel trims are noticeably smaller with the custom tune so I went back to it. The AFR's are a bit rich though.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 08-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #2650
kowalski

Stg1 93 vs Custome Stg2 91 tune for Catted Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post

My theory is that the Stage 1 tune feels stronger because it's running leaner and making more low-end torque. But it's actually making less peak power because of the FLKC at higher RPM's.

My fuel trims are noticeably smaller with the custom tune so I went back to it. The AFR's are a bit rich though.
Thanks for the feedback! I've been driving curvy mountain roads, highways and daily driving. I Still think stg1 93 feels more stable. Although I can confirm that high speeds are more difficult to achieve. Say you could reach 237 km/h, now it seems to be stuck at 211 km/h. Not that you can't push it, but it seems harder. And yes, you run leaner. Last time I logged I did not see anything wrong with IAM and FLKC or air-fuel ratios though. There still are no official new OFT tunes yet. I guess I will give it a try when they're available and re-check high end speed. Thx again for commenting on this man.

PS: it turns out that the vibration issue I was having had to do with the skid plate being bumped. I had stepped over a street corner while drifting and that bump was hitting the headers. There was yellow paint on it so... After pushing it down all seems to run smooth and nice again.
The Following User Says Thank You to kowalski For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-31-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #2651
jdemm

Drives: Blue 2014 FRS Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Great Review thanks for posting

Quote:
Hi there,

First post on the forum. I thought I would share some thoughts and experience with the speedfactory UEL catted header. I had those installed two weeks ago. My BRZ has a 3 inch Perrin resonated exhaust (no noticeable loss, quiet yet gorgeous sound when downshifting), K&N air flter and is now running with a custom stage 2 91 octane UEL tune form @shiv for the headers. I contacted him recently and he was more than helpful sending the custom tune (thx man). Before that I run the headers with stage 1 93 oct tune. No problems at all. No CEL. Nice throttle feel all allong 2.200 - 3.500 rpm (aprox). Front and overpipe are stock. Things to consider if you go the speefcatory86 catted header:

A) You will IMMEDIATELY feel the difference in the torque deep. It is almost gone (but still a little bit there, though it is a HUGE improvement)
B) Your exhaust note will vary. I lost the gorgeous sound of downshifting which I really loved. Bassy - deep sound. God I miss it. Instead, you have a nice rumbly sound when reving above 3000 rpm. It is also a little bit louder, but not much. Meaning if you rev hard on a tunnel you will be noticed, but otherwise is ok.
C) Exhaust note will also vary with new tunes. It did when I jumped from 93 stage 1 to the custom tune shiv sent me for 91.
D) In my setup, headers sound a little raspy - metallic. I do not like that sound as much as I liked the stock header clean flow. Maybe I have to give them some more mileage on them. Don't know.
E) You can put back the bottom shield, it fits just ok. Some have had vibration issues. None of that happened to me.
F) I did not know about the soundtube in the brz (see:
). Thing is, you can silence the incabin motor noise (if you want to do so) with the lighter cap (You have to push it hard into the tube to be really effective). I am not sure if I like it, yet. Planning on putting an inlet hose and sound delete. But still it does make a difference.
G) There are not so many pics of the install from the engine bay view, almost all of them are from below. So I post some of them here.

Thx to @FT-86 SpeedFactory for answering all my questions prior to purchase and kudos to @shiv for custom tunes! (beta v3.0 releases on-the-way see: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=1 )

Thank you for posting with that much detail man. really helps us who are trying to decide.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdemm For This Useful Post:
kowalski (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #2652
kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemm View Post
Thank you for posting with that much detail man. really helps us who are trying to decide.
Just a quick update: the somehow little raspiness is gone. I think it has to do with just using and abusing the header. Still, I haven't find a tune that suits this header just fine for 93 octane.

Best.

Enviat des del meu SM-N920G usant Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #2653
Falcon

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thats the Reason for Custom Tunes mate.

Every Car is different, so are the Mods done to it and the available Fuel Quality.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:56 AM   #2654
Solenwin2

Drives: HONG DA
Quote:
Just a quick update: the somehow little raspiness is gone. I think it has to do with just using and abusing the header. Still, I haven't find a tune that suits this header just fine for 93 octane.

Best.

Enviat des del meu SM-N920G usant Tapatalk
reader All data

Sent from my vivo Xplay6 using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 AM   #2655
Solenwin2

Drives: HONG DA
Name:  截å±_20180505_120116.jpeg
Views: 1114
Size:  69.4 KB

Sent from my vivo Xplay6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #2656
kowalski

It's been a while.

But today looking at the engine bay I noticed that the FT-86 speedfactory badge that came attached to the header had fallen and it stuck to the bottom shield. So I would suggest removing the badge on the first place so you do not get in trouble if that piece of steel falls of at full throttle and starts jumping around under your engine bay. I guess temps were high and the welding did not hold quite as well.

Here are some pics of the badge:

And:

Best!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #2657
Scala

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Why the tunes?

I'm new here and new to BRGs so I'm learning.

Early in this thread the FT-86 SpeedFactory guys stated in the video that they installed their Catted UEL on an otherwise completely stock car with a stock OEM tune. They made a point of stating that NO CUSTOM TUNES are required when installing their header.

They then proceeded to the dyno where significant gains were measured particularly in the torque mid-range area.

Then I read in this thread that many users are tuning with 3rd party software and I am asking why they do so. The easy answer could be that they are in search of further gains but is this really the case?

One of the many reasons why this product is attractive to me is the mid-range torque increase without the need for tuning.

Please explain.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #2658
kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post

Early in this thread the FT-86 SpeedFactory guys stated in the video that they installed their Catted UEL on an otherwise completely stock car with a stock OEM tune. They made a point of stating that NO CUSTOM TUNES are required when installing their header.

They then proceeded to the dyno where significant gains were measured particularly in the torque mid-range area.

Then I read in this thread that many users are tuning with 3rd party software and I am asking why they do so. The easy answer could be that they are in search of further gains but is this really the case?

One of the many reasons why this product is attractive to me is the mid-range torque increase without the need for tuning.

Please explain.
In my case I did first install the UEL catted header with stage 1 OFT tune (which is not designed for aftermarket catless or catted headers anyway). It did get rid of some torque dip without having to go stage 2. Indeed I flashed the ecu to stage 2 but I did not like how it felt and got back to stage 1 (91 octane tune)

Although my gas is 92 octane. I guess you will probably feel the difference with no tune also. How much? well, that depends on what your expectations are.

Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen a cattles UEL header and make sure it is ceramic coated if you plan to go FI in the future.

My 5 cents

Enviado desde mi SM-A730F mediante Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 AM   #2659
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala View Post

Please explain.
While the ECU can learn and adapt, Custom e-tunes are still the way to go for best overall drive ability, safety(Not running to lean or to rich) and power/smoothness. I am going through the same with @Tor who is helping me dial in my car(UEL Tomei catless Header). I am going to have him add a bit of margin into the tune to insure Advance Multiplier is always at 1 and my AFR's are inline everywhere and not just at WOT, insure I have maximum timing added in all areas. I want to be able to take the car to the track beat on it and not worry about the engine running lean under even higher stress.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
Old 08-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #2660
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
IIRC claim "without the need for tuning" in context that they hoped/planned for cat readiness CELs to not appear with their catted headers with completely stock ECU tune. IIRC CELs still had popped up for some after longer driving, so it's not exactly went as planned, and i guess one still will need custom tune with readiness checks disabled just like with other aftermarket headers. In your quote one needs to highlight words "Early in this thread" too
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-22-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?