follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
E85

What’s the correct way to flash my vehicle for E85 use. I’ve watched a few videos and read on it but it seems I’ve gotten mixed answers. And before I do this, I want to know exactly how.

So everything I’ve read says to wait for the empty light and go fill up. And that I need to wait for the fuel trim to be at around 20% before any hard driving. But the conflicting part is,

Do I flash after I fill up, drive for 10 miles and wait for the fuel trim to be at 20%

Or do I flash before I fill up? Drive 10 miles and wait for 20%

Or do I fill up and drive for 10 miles and the fuel trim is at 20% and then flash

Thanks in advance.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
What’s the correct way to flash my vehicle for E85 use. I’ve watched a few videos and read on it but it seems I’ve gotten mixed answers. And before I do this, I want to know exactly how.

So everything I’ve read says to wait for the empty light and go fill up. And that I need to wait for the fuel trim to be at around 20% before any hard driving. But the conflicting part is,

Do I flash after I fill up, drive for 10 miles and wait for the fuel trim to be at 20%

Or do I fill up and drive for 10 miles and the fuel trim is at 20% and then flash

Thanks in advance.

Flash after you see fuel trims in the 20s after you have filled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
IMO Don't fk around and get a flex fuel kit/tune from the get go.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (08-09-2021), B T (08-09-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (08-17-2021), mrntd (08-15-2021), Yoshoobaroo (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Flash after you see fuel trims in the 20s after you have filled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for confirming that.

And to 808. Aloha. I plan to do flex at some point in the future. Any kit you would recommend?
Old 08-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for confirming that.

And to 808. Aloha. I plan to do flex at some point in the future. Any kit you would recommend?
Xero-Limit or Delicious are the go to.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Sur (08-09-2021), Yoshoobaroo (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #6
Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Xero-Limit or Delicious are the go to.
Great! Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Sur For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-10-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
Frankz54

Drives: 2019 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Been running E85 for over a year now on my 2019 86. No issues at all and no flex fuel kit. I just have my OFT in the car for any emergencies.

I do have a tune with OFT so that helps and avoids having to be cycling the fuel levels.

Honestly, i would get a tune over the flex fuel kit any day. You will feel the difference on stage 2 E85.
Frankz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
Daily86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankz54 View Post
Been running E85 for over a year now on my 2019 86. No issues at all and no flex fuel kit. I just have my OFT in the car for any emergencies.

I do have a tune with OFT so that helps and avoids having to be cycling the fuel levels.

Honestly, i would get a tune over the flex fuel kit any day. You will feel the difference on stage 2 E85.
This

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Daily86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daily86 For This Useful Post:
Frankz54 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 10:31 PM   #9
Sur

Oh I have OFT. So a tune is not in question. I’ve just heard mixed feelings about running E85. So I am trying to gather as much data as I can before I make the switch.

And how much of a difference would I feel? I have Tomei UEL, catless, Remark exhaust, and I’m running a stage 2+ Tune with OFT. So if I switch to E85 and the OFT tune, will I notice the difference?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:26 AM   #10
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh I have OFT. So a tune is not in question. I’ve just heard mixed feelings about running E85. So I am trying to gather as much data as I can before I make the switch.

And how much of a difference would I feel? I have Tomei UEL, catless, Remark exhaust, and I’m running a stage 2+ Tune with OFT. So if I switch to E85 and the OFT tune, will I notice the difference?
Lol, how do you run the resonatorless remark exhaust, fully catless? Are your ears not constantly bleeding I can’t even imagine how loud that setup would be.

Anyway I have tomei UELs and have ran e85 for around 8000km. I have OFT but am using Wayne Roms e85 time. I’ll be honest I didn’t notice a huge different over OFT uel petrol tune but that might be as a result of me taking it very easy the first 200kms of driving and I may have forgotten what it previously felt like.

I’ve had no issues with it mechanically, car runs fine and doesn’t really feel that slow. I’m in cold weather right now and the car has never required more than 2 cranks to cold start. Still it only really pulls when you’re in 1st or 2nd. It still feels like the RPMs pause for a split second at 4K RPM. Also it’s likely just my tune running lean, but I noticed switching to e85 my exhaust sound changed slightly. Rumbled more and backfired more aggressively on petrol compared to e85 tune

I haven’t done a 0-60/ 0-100 yet but I would estimate around 6 seconds
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #11
Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Lol, how do you run the resonatorless remark exhaust, fully catless? Are your ears not constantly bleeding I can’t even imagine how loud that setup would be.

Anyway I have tomei UELs and have ran e85 for around 8000km. I have OFT but am using Wayne Roms e85 time. I’ll be honest I didn’t notice a huge different over OFT uel petrol tune but that might be as a result of me taking it very easy the first 200kms of driving and I may have forgotten what it previously felt like.

I’ve had no issues with it mechanically, car runs fine and doesn’t really feel that slow. I’m in cold weather right now and the car has never required more than 2 cranks to cold start. Still it only really pulls when you’re in 1st or 2nd. It still feels like the RPMs pause for a split second at 4K RPM. Also it’s likely just my tune running lean, but I noticed switching to e85 my exhaust sound changed slightly. Rumbled more and backfired more aggressively on petrol compared to e85 tune

It’s loud on a cold start, once it warms up, it’s not crazy loud. It’s a deep note. But I grew up at the drag strip, so my preference may be different than others. But compared to the raspy loud high pitched that I hear around town, mine is a deep throaty rumble. Also I work in construction, so loud things don’t bother me. It’s the raspy high pitch exhausts that I would not want to drive.

This is why I asked. With the mods I have, I don’t think running E85 is going to give me enough of a difference that I will notice it. Maybe one day if any stations start to pop up in my neighborhood, but for now I’d have to drive 10 miles to fill up. And I don’t think the difference in hp would be enough for me to go out of my way just to get gas. I’ll stick to my original plan of going FI before next summer while I work on my last few mods.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
Frankz54

Quote:

Bro!!! You have my exact setup LOL. The Tomei UEL catless, the Quad Remark exhaust with Stage 2+ E85. Believe me when i tell you... you will notice the difference with E85 on every level. Also some say that you lose MPG. I have not, with 93 octane in Miami, FL i would do 25MPG. With E85 i am doing now 24.9 MPG. And have been using E85 for about 14k miles now. My current car is on 23k.

I had changed the pulley after all this and honestly, wasn't even worth it. E85 alone smokes all the other upgrades i have done.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
Frankz54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post

Funny you say this. I ended up going to put a 24 inch resonator because the catless and straight pipe was insane to the point i hated driving the car lol. Once the noise tuned it down to a nice deep subi rumble i love it now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankz54 For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (08-16-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #14
Sur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankz54 View Post
Bro!!! You have my exact setup LOL. The Tomei UEL catless, the Quad Remark exhaust with Stage 2+ E85. Believe me when i tell you... you will notice the difference with E85 on every level. Also some say that you lose MPG. I have not, with 93 octane in Miami, FL i would do 25MPG. With E85 i am doing now 24.9 MPG. And have been using E85 for about 14k miles now. My current car is on 23k.

I had changed the pulley after all this and honestly, wasn't even worth it. E85 alone smokes all the other upgrades i have done.
Well now you got me thinking again! Damn you haha. Kidding. I don’t have the quad, just the dual but pretty much same setup. And I love it. Some people’s loud, is others perfect. Just preference I guess. Cops don’t pull me, so that is all that matters! Care less what my neighbors think. I start it and let her run for 15 minutes every morning before work at 6am. Neighbors are ****s anyway.

6 0-60? I’d like to see that data.