follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 02-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
what is the best method to request and pay with. I thought paypal was the what I should be using?
whatever you do, do not gift payment of any kind.

that includes Venmo, Zelle, whatever. If someone wants you to pay them without transaction fees, you're exposed for the amount should anything go wrong.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DandoX (02-19-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #16
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
As someone who pretty frequently sells and buys used stuff, I am still hesitant to use paypal. I once had a seller damage goods while unboxing them, told me about it, and provided pictures and details about how it happened. He then opened a paypal dispute about it, saying the items were damaged due to poor packaging. Luckily for me, I had screenshots of the messages he sent me about it. I provided those to paypal for my half of the dispute. Well, after I replied, I was still at a negative account balance with paypal, since he just let the dispute timeout (90 days, or something I think).

So, for that reason alone, I would much rather do an e-transfer, or friends and family. I have tons of feedback via different platforms, so if a buyer isn't comfortable with that, they can find someone else to buy from.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
As someone who pretty frequently sells and buys used stuff, I am still hesitant to use paypal. I once had a seller damage goods while unboxing them, told me about it, and provided pictures and details about how it happened. He then opened a paypal dispute about it, saying the items were damaged due to poor packaging. Luckily for me, I had screenshots of the messages he sent me about it. I provided those to paypal for my half of the dispute. Well, after I replied, I was still at a negative account balance with paypal, since he just let the dispute timeout (90 days, or something I think).

So, for that reason alone, I would much rather do an e-transfer, or friends and family. I have tons of feedback via different platforms, so if a buyer isn't comfortable with that, they can find someone else to buy from.
I always take pictures of the item before packaging, in the box with packing around it, and with the box closed up. I also make sure to have my watch in the picture as it displays the date. Have never lost a dispute
Old 02-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #18
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I always take pictures of the item before packaging, in the box with packing around it, and with the box closed up. I also make sure to have my watch in the picture as it displays the date. Have never lost a dispute
Paypal took my side in the dispute, but it's just the fact that I was at a -$1000 or so balance for much longer than I'd have liked, simply because the buyer was a piece of garbage.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:25 AM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
the world would be a lot nicer place if i didn't have to deal with the people in it.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #20
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
One of the trading subreddits I frequent has a good autobot that says "Payment methods like Paypal F&F, Zelle, Cashapp, and Venmo are discouraged because they offers zero protections to the money sender. Consider it like a western union money order, once you send it, there is zero chance of getting it back if a trade does not work out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
As someone who pretty frequently sells and buys used stuff, I am still hesitant to use paypal. ....I have tons of feedback via different platforms, so if a buyer isn't comfortable with that, they can find someone else to buy from.
I've had two sellers screw me out of funds on Paypal back in the day, haven't trusted it since. If I'm selling I request a Zelle as there can be no funny games. I let a buyer have plenty of other online classified feedbacks I have from other sites I frequent. I will even go as far as to give my business listing on Google which pretty much determines if I make money or not. I am handing them over the keys to my way to make a living when I do that so if they don't feel comfortable with that then they can move on. If somebody is deeply embedded into a community then I will give more leeway but if they just joined recently and/or you can tell by their older posts that they have nothing to lose if they plan on scamming, it's Zelle(basically cash) or nothing.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #21
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the world would be a lot nicer place if i didn't have to deal with the people in it.
Truth. Everything I am planning going forward is to get away deeply into the forest so I can get away from all these jerks.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-23-2020)