follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #29
Contender

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
The cats muffle the sound a lot. Cats and no muffler sounds good, no cats and muffler sounds good. No cats and no mufflers will piss of the Neibor hood.
Yeah cold start is loud as fuck as far as pissing off the neighbors I was here first not my fault they built there house next to me...lol
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Contender For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #30
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
That's gotta be loud as fuck. Glad I don't live on your street.
Or in your state if that's legal there.
Lol legal? Washington state is ending emissions testing January 1 2020.
why? (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #31
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
We quit emissions testing and inspections decades ago. But it is still illegal to drive a car that sounds like an airboat.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #32
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Yeah

The inspections were a total waste of time. You would be in line for an hour only to discover your headlights were out of line. Then you had to go back and do it again. Things like bald tires you would just borrow some descent tires for the inspection and then put the old one's back after you got your sticker.
They actually converted most of the inspection stations into something useful like fire stations.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #33
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contender View Post
Lol..that's funny but yes I do plan on getting out the header cat soon and getting a tune. Funny I thought the muffler delete would have been annoying at cold start it is but after that I don't think so. I have had people complementing me on how good the car sounds. I has some drone but took care of that with some insulated air duct wrap in the trunk and under the rear seat area. Worked out good and the wife was happy with the cabin drone reduction.
It's cause you still have the stock header with a cat and FP. Talk to us when you add a catless UEL

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #34
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
It's cause you still have the stock header with a cat and FP. Talk to us when you add a catless UEL

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I don't like the sound of the UEL header. I have heard and seen dyno sheet gains of a stock gutted and welded in piece of pipe. I don't think for the cost a new header is worth the small gain. Plus my nephew can weld in the pipe for free. So for the price of some gaskets and my time it's a win. The exhaust as of now is not excessively loud except for cold starts. If it's to loud after the cat is removed from the header I'll have my nephew weld in a muffler. Nobody can deny doing this to the stock header dosen't make some power. If you think you need to spend the money on an after market header have at it's your car, I don't drive it. Lol
why? (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #35
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't like the sound of the UEL header. I have heard and seen dyno sheet gains of a stock gutted and welded in piece of pipe. I don't think for the cost a new header is worth the small gain. Plus my nephew can weld in the pipe for free. So for the price of some gaskets and my time it's a win. The exhaust as of now is not excessively loud except for cold starts. If it's to loud after the cat is removed from the header I'll have my nephew weld in a muffler. Nobody can deny doing this to the stock header dosen't make some power. If you think you need to spend the money on an after market header have at it's your car, I don't drive it. Lol
If your nephew was to charge you he deserves a good slap!! Fuck PC!! Merry Xmas, happy modding!
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #36
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
If your nephew was to charge you he deserves a good slap!! Fuck PC!! Merry Xmas, happy modding!
Lol he a good kid and can weld very well. He has been doing it for 23 years!
Old 12-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #37
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
A lot of the extra power headers gain is from the removing of the cats and the tune. Removing the cats and tuning the heck out of it should match many of the results on here.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #38
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
that must be some real jfm since ace and a tune on pump gas isnt even 200whp
Really.......maybe still has OEM catted front pipe?....maybe a 91 tune?.......look for some catless 93 tuned cars.

And look at the tuner who is tuning it.

And most importantly, look how fat the ACE curve is throughout the entire rev range.

Meh
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #39
fminicooper

Drives: FRS Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
How does one decat something? Is this something a mechanic can do or do I have to go to a dedicated exhaust shop?
I did myself and was fairly easy. Removing the cat itself is not complicated, I used a drill bit. Be cautious with the sensor.
Access to header bolts are super easy as well. You do not need to remove the overpipe, just leave it there. I only decatted the first one, leave mid pipe untouched.
I am running OFT e85 and the results are amazing, super happy with the extra power (cost only $25 in gaskets plus OFT)
I measured an average of 14% increase in longitudinal acceleration at the track (measured with a lap timer, checking only g figures, also you can do it more precise with time and velocity from the lap timer as well)
fminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fminicooper For This Useful Post:
mrntd (06-22-2020), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (12-26-2019)