follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
TRDness

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ajay's HKS Supercharged GT86 TRD Build

Hi everyone. I’ve decided to make a build thread of my 2013 GT86 TRD edition, a lot of work has already been done to it so I thought I’d share its progress so far. The GT86 TRD is a special edition in the UK and 250 were made for the country, it comes with the Japanese TRD body kit, TRD TF6 wheels, and a variety of other TRD upgrades. I have built the car to be TRD themed visually but it also has a lot of other quality aftermarket parts where you can’t see! I’m based in the UK where car modification to this type of car is less popular than in the USA due to insurance costs and the general fact that parts are more expensive to source due to tax, but that doesn’t put me off! I have spent the last year modifying the car in preparation for track use and forced induction, and it is nearly complete.

The next thing on the list for this car is to be HKS V2 supercharged. Now I’ve been through a lot of ups and downs with this and the whole turbo vs supercharger thing, and also which type of supercharger to go for. I chose the HKS centrifugal supercharger for a variety of reasons, reliability and simplicity being the top factor as my car is my daily driver and the last thing I want is a blown rod on the way to work. Centrifugals don’t make a lot of boost down low in the RPM range, which is when the rods are vulnerable, and I don’t want the mechanical complexities that come with turbo’s, so centrifugal is the way for me. I am very aware of its pros and cons compared to other methods of forced induction. My target is 300whp on 99 octane (93/94 for Americans) and I’ll also look into the prospect of forging the engine, changing the fuel pump and injectors and taking it up to 400whp in the future, which is about the limit of what the HKS supercharger can do.

Factory features in addition to the regular GT86 UK Spec:

TRD Quad Exhaust and Diffuser
TRD Rear Bumper
TRD Side Skirts
TRD Front Splitter
TRD Fuel Cap
TRD Shift Knob
TRD Radiator Cap
TRD TF6 Styling Wheels 18X7.5 +46
Yokohama Advan Sport V105 Tyres 225/40/18

Current Mods:

Wheels:

Yokohama Advan GT Forged 18X9.5 + 40 in Machining Hyper Black all around
Yokohama Advan Sport V105 Tyres 255/35/18 all around
Camber, Caster and Toe Specs: -2 Degrees Front, 0 Toe. -1.5 Degrees Rear, 0 Toe. Factory Caster

Suspension and Chassis:

TRD 40-Way Damping Adjustable Coilovers with Optional Racing Springs, Bump Stops and Pillow-ball Camber-Adjustable Top Mounts.
Spring Rates – Front: 49.5 N/mm, Rear: 72 N/mm
TRD Front Strut Brace
Cusco Rear Carbon Fibre Strut Brace
Summit S-Wave Rear Lower Adjustable Camber Control Arms
TRD Transmission Mount
TRD Differential Mounts LH and RH

Braking:

TRD Monoblock Brake Kit (Produced by Brembo) – 6 Piston Front with 355mm Slotted Rotors, 4 Piston Rear with 345mm Slotted Rotors
TRD Brake Lines
Brembo Racing Brake Pads
Motul RBF 600 Dot 4 Performance Racing Brake Fluid
Laile Beatrush Master Cylinder Brace

Engine, Transmission and Exhaust:

HKS Version 2 Supercharger 41mm Restrictor
AVO Oil Cooler
Charge Air Temperature Sensor
ACS Xtreme HD Stage 1 Organic Clutch
Motul Gear 300 75W-90 Synthetic Racing Gear and Differential Oil
HKS Super Hybrid Drop-In Air Filter
TRD Sports Oil Filter
TRD Oil Filler Cap
TRD Radiator Cap
TRD Fuel Cap
TRD Engine Mounts LH and RH
HKS Equal Length 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold (Header)
Milltek Overpipe
TRD Quad Exhaust with TRD rear Diffuser
Berk Front Pipe with 200-cell High Flow Cat
RaceSeng Cam Plate
Fensport Lightweight Crankshaft Pulley – Harmonically Balanced

Outer Body:

TRD Rear Trunk Spoiler and Side Spoilers
TRD Side Skirts
TRD Rear Bumper
TRD Front Splitter
TRD Shark Fin Aerial
TRD Fender Extensions
TRD Chrome Rear Badge
LED Licence Plate Lights
TOM’S Red Tail Lights
Valenti Red Rear Bumper Light
Import Licence Plate with Custom Registration

Interior:

TRD Gauges – Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Water Temperature
Blitz Racing Meter Panel Black
P3 Cars Vent-Mounted Multi Gauge
TRD Momo Steering Wheel
OEM Toyota Arm Rest
TRD Push-Start Button
TRD Shift Knob
Carbon Fibre Wrapped Interior Panels
LED Dome Light

Dealer fixed the following under warranty:

Leaking Noisy Window Seals – replaced seals and adjusted windows
Poor Battery Life – upgraded from 30ah battery to new more powerful 45ah battery
Locking Wheel Nut Key Sheared – removed and replaced locking wheel nuts and refurbished TRD wheels damaged in process
Poor down-shift into 2nd gear when car is cold – replaced and adjusted shift plate

Any questions/comments? Post below! I'm happy to help out with any technical questions people may have related to the parts I have used.
Attached Images

Last edited by TRDness; 05-08-2016 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Photo Uploads
TRDness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TRDness For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (05-10-2017), Cop (02-25-2016), craigpitts7 (02-26-2016), JRRIII (05-03-2016), Kris86 (08-27-2016), MisterSheep (02-25-2016), Mr.Impreza (02-25-2016), re-animator (03-26-2018), weederr33 (02-25-2016), zeal86 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
WOW I love your wheels
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The money in this build. Impressive!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
I will definitely be keeping a close eye on this thread. Keep up the good work! By any chance do you have some sounds clips of your car?

Also I am curious about;

Poor down-shift into 2nd gear when car is cold – replaced and adjusted shift plate

What were you experiencing and how did the dealership handle the situation?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Beautiful build with high quality parts!

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Joe-G
Canada Eh!

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
hks supercharger kit? in b4 detonation or sc kit self-destruct? (I mean I hope not but I haven't seen to many good comments on hks sc kits recently, seems they go boom a lot) BTW used to be a big fan of their products but after what I've seen recently I wouldn't touch their kits with a 10 foot pole (There's a reason they are up to v3, v1 and 2 kept shitting the bed)

Aside from that great looking build
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
TRDness

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I will definitely be keeping a close eye on this thread. Keep up the good work! By any chance do you have some sounds clips of your car?

Also I am curious about;

What were you experiencing and how did the dealership handle the situation?
I don't have any sound clips at the moment, but I'd be happy to make some and post them up here, watch this space.

With the downshifting it was extremely difficult to downshift into second gear when slowing down to come to a turning/junction, especially when the car was cold. So much so that I had to put some considerable force on the gear stick to get it to select second gear.

I took it into the dealership to get it looked at, and they compared it with another 86 they had in stock at the time, after testing they said it behaved the same as that 86 (duh if it's a model-wide issue of course it would), so I asked them to check for any company-wide TSB's or bulletins on the issue. They checked and bingo there was a set of instructions on how to adjust the shift plate so it would reduce the symptoms, so they did it. Afterwards the shifting in general feels a LOT smoother, and the downshifting into second still isn't great when cold, but i can live with it. When it's warm there are no issues at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRDness For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
fumanchu1

I also see you like TRD a lot
Old 02-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
TRDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
hks supercharger kit? in b4 detonation or sc kit self-destruct? (I mean I hope not but I haven't seen to many good comments on hks sc kits recently, seems they go boom a lot) BTW used to be a big fan of their products but after what I've seen recently I wouldn't touch their kits with a 10 foot pole (There's a reason they are up to v3, v1 and 2 kept shitting the bed)

Aside from that great looking build
Thanks man. I've heard that there have been issues with previous models of the supercharger yes, but I'm happy that HKS develop their products in-house and will no doubt have worked hard to resolve those issues in the V3 package. If not and the supercharger blows, the beautiful thing is that HKS here in Europe are pretty reasonable and would look into the situation, I'm sure they'd want to protect their reputation. I've seen this happen with someone who bought HKS forged rods/pistons/crank for their 86, one of the rods snapped in the engine due to a manufacturing defect and they replaced the whole kit and supported him the whole way through.
MisterSheep (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
fumanchu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDness View Post
Thanks man. I've heard that there have been issues with previous models of the supercharger yes, but I'm happy that HKS develop their products in-house and will no doubt have worked hard to resolve those issues in the V3 package. If not and the supercharger blows, the beautiful thing is that HKS here in Europe are pretty reasonable and would look into the situation, I'm sure they'd want to protect their reputation. I've seen this happen with someone who bought HKS forged rods/pistons/crank for their 86, one of the rods snapped in the engine due to a manufacturing defect and they replaced the whole kit and supported him the whole way through.
Oh you're in Europe, I will shut up now... not easy getting replacement and dealing with HKS from here in Canada. Yeah I saw that ordeal, actually that was the last straw for me to trust hks for a while. While I like that they stepped up, the failure reports are just too present for me to recommend them at this time
Old 02-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #12
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I don't have any sound clips at the moment, but I'd be happy to make some and post them up here, watch this space.

With the downshifting it was extremely difficult to downshift into second gear when slowing down to come to a turning/junction, especially when the car was cold. So much so that I had to put some considerable force on the gear stick to get it to select second gear.

I took it into the dealership to get it looked at, and they compared it with another 86 they had in stock at the time, after testing they said it behaved the same as that 86 (duh if it's a model-wide issue of course it would), so I asked them to check for any company-wide TSB's or bulletins on the issue. They checked and bingo there was a set of instructions on how to adjust the shift plate so it would reduce the symptoms, so they did it. Afterwards the shifting in general feels a LOT smoother, and the downshifting into second still isn't great when cold, but i can live with it. When it's warm there are no issues at all.
I'm asking (about the shifting issue) because I just got my transmission replaced under warranty because it was whinning a lot louder than normal. With the new transmission I noticed the shifter kind of vibrates as it's going into 5th gear. I took it back to the dealership, who just installed that transmission, and compared it with another FR-S and deemed it normal. (I'm in the United States, so it's the FR-S over here)

Love that you wen't with full TRD. Been kind of going back and forth with the front lip as sometimes I think its super sexy looking and then sometimes I think the exact opposite. Love the pics you have too. Ever thought about getting the TRD seats? or the TRD interior boot set? Those parts are just pure eye candy
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
That is why it's worth buying the quality parts instead of what's "cheap" because most quality manufactures will back up their claims and I have no heard anything bad about HKS customer support yet!
Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #14
TRDness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I'm asking (about the shifting issue) because I just got my transmission replaced under warranty because it was whinning a lot louder than normal. With the new transmission I noticed the shifter kind of vibrates as it's going into 5th gear. I took it back to the dealership, who just installed that transmission, and compared it with another FR-S and deemed it normal. (I'm in the United States, so it's the FR-S over here)

Love that you wen't with full TRD. Been kind of going back and forth with the front lip as sometimes I think its super sexy looking and then sometimes I think the exact opposite. Love the pics you have too. Ever thought about getting the TRD seats? or the TRD interior boot set? Those parts are just pure eye candy
I'm surprised that Scion replaced the whole transmission because it whined! See I tried to get my transmission replaced by Toyota but they weren't having any of it, but they've fixed the issue to the point that I can live with it anyway, it's not as if it's a massive thing. I guess Toyota over here want to save a bit more money than in the US lol.

If you're a bit on and off with the Japanese TRD lip, I've seen the RS1.0 TRD lip, perhaps that could be an alternative if you like that better? From first hand experience though the Japanese TRD lip is very high quality and the paint colour-matching is great (it's really hard to match pearl white).
MisterSheep (02-25-2016)