follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #141
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
no need heated seats....no drive in winter...learned my lesson. peasant I must be. @OrbitalEllipses
Nah, you're just humble.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #142
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Nah, you're just humble.
hahah haaaaa hahaha ha ha aaaaa.... me humble. lub youz
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #143
jack43

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post

The bigger concern is if you track the car a lot. 987.1 cars are prone to oil starvation in high sustained lateral G corners, especially if you run R comp tires or slicks. This can be largely solved with an Accusump, but it's definitely something to be concerned about. This was also fixed in the 987.2 cars by changing the oil pickup system. They also sometimes need an upgraded air-oil separator or they can pull oil through the intake (again on high-g corners, especially with high engine vacuum).
NASCAR: "Go fast, turn left."
CS 987.1: "Go fast, don't turn left."
jack43 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack43 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-20-2015)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #144
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
hahah haaaaa hahaha ha ha aaaaa.... me humble. lub youz
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #145
phenoyz

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
WolfpackS2k any new update on your cayman
phenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #146
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Well hey, thanks for asking. Since purchase I've put 20,000 miles on the car. Largely trouble free, just usual stuff for a car with 75k miles

-front rotors and pads
-spark plugs
-passenger door window regulator
-blown passenger door woofer
-minor problem at the moment with the drivers door window auto up/down seal function. Haven't narrowed down the cause yet but hopefully just a cheap ($30) part.

Sadly, I haven't been to the track yet. Just had too many other expenses pop up recently.

Still in love as ever with the Cayman. Everything about it is still perfect in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #147
phenoyz

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Well hey, thanks for asking. Since purchase I've put 20,000 miles on the car. Largely trouble free, just usual stuff for a car with 75k miles

-front rotors and pads
-spark plugs
-passenger door window regulator
-blown passenger door woofer
-minor problem at the moment with the drivers door window auto up/down seal function. Haven't narrowed down the cause yet but hopefully just a cheap ($30) part.

Sadly, I haven't been to the track yet. Just had too many other expenses pop up recently.

Still in love as ever with the Cayman. Everything about it is still perfect in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice
phenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #148
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have the pleasure of having owned all 3 vehicles in question and currently a 987.2 pdk sits next to my FRS so I get lots of comparo time.
The 2.9 is heavenly but the pdk can behave oddly at times (preferred my BMW DCT) compared to the FRS obviously it is faster by a good margin. The handling is where I give it the nod - the front end is supernatural........and it cruises at 100 like it's barely breathing.

But, but the FRS stock seats beat the stock cayman seats, I avg 31 mpg with full stage 2 and three maps on the fly. The NA power level at about 200 at the wheels is close to perfect for the car. With an e85 tune it would prob be perfect....
I debate back and forth about my next project, still over a year out but now that we have a cayman in the family I can see the flip side of ownership and gotta say.... Still lovin my FRS

For all that are shopping Cayman/Boxter do yourself a favor and hold out for a 987.2 09+ the newer mills are sublime and don't have the same leak issues as earlier cars (I had an 04 Boxster new)
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to F1fletch For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (09-09-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #149
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
i am again looking at a 2007 cayman s
it has 71,00 miles
owner said :

the engine is good - , just replacedthe clutch kit before selling - and things looked fine to the mechanic -

wanted the clutch to be new for next driver - it had 30% or so life left

2007 - all original miles on the factory motor -

also replaced water pump and oil separator around 5 or 6 months ago - which are common issues on the cayman Porsche knew those issues at launch - , but of course didn’t tell anyone -

it’s had the major service at 60,000 done -

no after market , or racing - just normal driving around

owner has NO problem having the car PPI at any porsche dealership...
What kind of PPI do I need to have for this model year?

Just wanted to be sure ...

Thanks
I'm not aware (or educated) of there being several different types of PPI's. That being said, any Porsche dealership should know what to look for on an '07 Cayman. You haven't mentioned the sale price, but I'll say that buying that car with a new clutch is a huge plus! The cost of a clutch replacement for this car, depending on where you have it done, can vary between $2000-4000 (kinda ridiculous). I'm not looking forward to that expense - mine is still on the original clutch.

Also great that the water pump has already been replaced (previous owner of my car also had that done around 50k miles). The comment about the AOS valve is a bit curious though. That only becomes a problem through "spirited" use via AutoX and HPDEs, and your seller states he hasn't participated in those activities. Not necessarily a red flag though, as some people are just super anal about their cars and proactively fix things that aren't broken (for example a lot of people over on Planet-9 recommend upgrading the AOS, regardless of how you plan to drive the car).

Everything else aside, with 71,000 miles there is still a possibility that car is on it's original brakes. Very likely the rotors, lesser so the pads. I'd look into that and see if they'll need attention soon. If you're fairly proficient at working on vehicles yourself it'll only cost you about $600 in parts. However if you take it to the dealership be ready to shell out around $1200.

F1fletch, that's awesome that you have both! Very nice sir.

Quote:
For all that are shopping Cayman/Boxter do yourself a favor and hold out for a 987.2 09+ the newer mills are sublime and don't have the same leak issues as earlier cars (I had an 04 Boxster new)
Few points about this comment. 1) I agree the 987.2 is the one to get. However, far far FAR fewer 987.2's were sold than 987.1s. Combine that rarity with them being not as old and today you're hard pressed to find a 987.2 S for under $40k. 2) A strong case can be made for the newer DI engine in the 987.2; such as an additional 30 hp, better fuel efficiency and no IMS bearing to worry about). This engine is also much less prone to oil starvation issues because it has 5 oil pumps (987.1 models have 2). Only potential downside here is the questionable long term durability of the DI system, and the potential issue of carbon build-up. 3) What leak issues are you referring to? I've never heard of the M97 having any leak issues. You refer to your '04 Boxster, but that is a different beast altogether. 986 not 987 and it has the M96 engine, not M97.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #150
GAPF1

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Great thread, really useful input all round, cheers.

Bit of background, before I get to my specific question: currently driving a 2013 BRZ Limited, which I bought new. Love it! Daily driver. Before that, I owned an A6 2.7T, which became a massive money pit. I'm looking at trading the BRZ for either a Cayman or (possibly) Boxster. I say possibly... my preference is the Cayman.

Ok, before I bore everyone to death, the only issue with the BRZ is my wife. Now, I know plenty of you are probably saying, easy, get rid of the wife. That's almost certainly a more expensive route to take, so I'll pass on that one. Anyway, my wife finds that the BRZ is too low, is noisy, the suspension is too harsh and it's generally uncomfortable to travel in. She refuses to entertain the prospect of even a weekend road-trip in the BRZ.

I still insist on having a car that is fun to drive. I can't really justify keeping the BRZ and having a decent DD. I'm sure the Boxster would probably feel compliant enough to be more comfortable than the BRZ, but what about the Cayman?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #151
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FYI, I have a 2015 BRZ and the suspensions were upgraded for 2015 and the ride is actually pretty good. I had a BMW Z4M coupe as well as an Audi TT-RS and it rides better than both of those cars. I've also driven a cayman and I think it rides as well or better than it too.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #152
GAPF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
FYI, I have a 2015 BRZ and the suspensions were upgraded for 2015 and the ride is actually pretty good. I had a BMW Z4M coupe as well as an Audi TT-RS and it rides better than both of those cars. I've also driven a cayman and I think it rides as well or better than it too.
That's useful, thanks. Actually, I was half considering a TT-RS! I'd read that the newer BRZ/FR-S has suspension revisions, just not sure how much of a difference that's made.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #153
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPF1 View Post
That's useful, thanks. Actually, I was half considering a TT-RS! I'd read that the newer BRZ/FR-S has suspension revisions, just not sure how much of a difference that's made.

Boxster or Cayman, it wont matter much. They both have the same polished drive. I had this issue with my wife. Luckily, it was not my DD. But still, she refused to ride in it. But she didn't mind riding or driving our 987.2 2009 Cayman. hmmmm, I wonder why.

Ride quality is very subjective. I know my Cayman wasn't any less-rough than my BRZ in most situations. But, my wife thought so. She did tell me that she believed it had more to do with the fact that it was a Porsche. PDK, sound-deadening and less rattles can lend themselves a long way with how a passenger might interpret the ride harshness.

So in short, you will have to have your wife ride in all of the cars you are considering and see what her opinion is. That's the only way to be sure.

Sorry for your conundrum.

Also, I agree about the Z4M being a harsher ride than the BRZ...but your wife may not mind it so much in that car. As for the TT-RS...I don't know. I never had the pleasure of being in one, but the TTS would likely be good enough for the wife.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #154
GAPF1

Thanks brzaapi, and you're right, it is a conundrum. Part of me is saying, it's my car, I don't care what you think, but then, if we go off on a road-trip, I want to be driving my car.

It had also occurred to me that I need to seek her opinion before I buy.

I'm hoping that the extra refinement in the Porsche will make the difference. Don't get me wrong mind, I'm perfectly happy with how my BRZ sounds and feels. I like the rawness of it. I like feeling and hearing the mechanics of it. For me, it adds to the overall experience of driving the car.

I suspect that my wife would like the idea of the Boxster, she had a Beetle Convertible a few years back.

Tags
brz, cayman, s2000