follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #127
lvl up

Drives: Verlocity Orange Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks, so you arent running a DAC atm?

also I am making my trim fitterment atm the nexus 2013 i dont have to dremel to make it fit but it is now to thin to sit dead centre on its own and be held in by that trim frame how did you get around that? EDIT: actually all good found a nice solution by dremmeling out the fascia almost all the way to the front, tabled fits perfectly, and leaving the sides in place it cant move left to right.

Last edited by lvl up; 10-23-2013 at 04:09 AM.
lvl up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #128
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
i'm running the nexus 7 2013 with the latest 4.3.1. but the tablet is actually draining faster than it can charge. is this normal for anyone? i was hoping to leave the tablet in the dash most of the time, but at the rate it drops i would have to take it out every few days to recharge it completely. i did figure that the gps was eating it up, but even after disabling it the tablet still drains, albeit slower than before. i'm using this charger:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: PowerGen 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

so theoretically it should be fine, but i'm wondering if the current jellybean update chargers differently now. i'm not opposed to buying either of the inverters that others have posted here, but i'd rather not spend more money if i don't have to, especially if it ends up doing the same thing as it is now.... any thoughts would be appreciated.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #129
ike44

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
i'm running the nexus 7 2013 with the latest 4.3.1. but the tablet is actually draining faster than it can charge. is this normal for anyone? i was hoping to leave the tablet in the dash most of the time, but at the rate it drops i would have to take it out every few days to recharge it completely. i did figure that the gps was eating it up, but even after disabling it the tablet still drains, albeit slower than before. i'm using this charger:

Amazon.com: PowerGen 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

so theoretically it should be fine, but i'm wondering if the current jellybean update chargers differently now. i'm not opposed to buying either of the inverters that others have posted here, but i'd rather not spend more money if i don't have to, especially if it ends up doing the same thing as it is now.... any thoughts would be appreciated.
Go to settings and look at your battery stats. Make sure it is saying AC and not USB. If it says USB, you need to do one of those soldering tricks to solder the data strips together (not sure if that's what you do, so look up how to do it). If it says AC, then I would suggest getting CM 10.1 (or 2, I forget what version they are on now) or other AOSP roms for that "swipe status bar to control brightness" feature. I use it to turn the brightness down when I am not using the tablet. If I keep the brightness up, it will slowly drain the battery.
ike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ike44 For This Useful Post:
phanguy (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #130
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike44 View Post
Go to settings and look at your battery stats. Make sure it is saying AC and not USB. If it says USB, you need to do one of those soldering tricks to solder the data strips together (not sure if that's what you do, so look up how to do it). If it says AC, then I would suggest getting CM 10.1 (or 2, I forget what version they are on now) or other AOSP roms for that "swipe status bar to control brightness" feature. I use it to turn the brightness down when I am not using the tablet. If I keep the brightness up, it will slowly drain the battery.
it does say AC when charging unfortunately... i may look into a different kernel that also allows otg for hubs and whatnot. so we'll see how it goes. so close!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #131
phanguy

Garage
for whatever stupid reason it wanted the oem cable. it wasn't happy with my generic micro usb cable. so whatevs. anyway it's working just fine now.

also i'm picking up one of these. it'll be great as an extra charging port for passengers or for popping in a flash drive with a movie for the tablet!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-xB-Toy...-/171146568819
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #132
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Drives: 2013 FRS, 88 EF Civic, 05 Matrix
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
for whatever stupid reason it wanted the oem cable. it wasn't happy with my generic micro usb cable. so whatevs. anyway it's working just fine now.

also i'm picking up one of these. it'll be great as an extra charging port for passengers or for popping in a flash drive with a movie for the tablet!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-xB-Toy...-/171146568819
What rom are you using so to do usb otg on 4.3.1?

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Build Thread - FA20FAIL Archive
PineappleFriedRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #133
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleFriedRice View Post
What rom are you using so to do usb otg on 4.3.1?
Stock rom, different kernel! Elementalx. Needs to be unlocked and rooted. I did both using the wugfresh tool. Installed kernel using twrp, which is an optional install while rooting. Has a few other fancy features worth checking out too!
The Following User Says Thank You to phanguy For This Useful Post:
PineappleFriedRice (10-30-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #134
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Drives: 2013 FRS, 88 EF Civic, 05 Matrix
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Stock rom, different kernel! Elementalx. Needs to be unlocked and rooted. I did both using the wugfresh tool. Installed kernel using twrp, which is an optional install while rooting. Has a few other fancy features worth checking out too!
Do you have a problem with your flash drive not mounting unless you unplug/replug it after your nexus wakes up?

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Build Thread - FA20FAIL Archive
PineappleFriedRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #135
phanguy

Garage
Not really sure. I'm not totally done with my set up. That's one of the last parts I'll be working on. But from basic testing I didn't have that kind of issue. Although I used the stickmount app to auto mount and dismount.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #136
kabome

Drives: 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
Quote:
Not really sure. I'm not totally done with my set up. That's one of the last parts I'll be working on. But from basic testing I didn't have that kind of issue. Although I used the stickmount app to auto mount and dismount.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Very interested in how you proceed with the new Nexus 7 2013 model, keep us updated as I'm looking to do a very similar setup in my Lancer (not a FRS/BRZ but I do love both cars! )

One thing I'm conflicted on is the route of audio path for the 7 to a HU. I want to keep my steering wheel controls and preferably FM/Satellite radio capabilities and the best option for this would be to use a single DIN HU with steering wheel adapter (already running a Pioneer Z120BT with this currently) however to get controls on the Nexus 7 the way this could work is via BT Audio pairing. Only problem I've found is the quality of BT audio versus direct Aux could leave something to be desired.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan
kabome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #137
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabome View Post
Very interested in how you proceed with the new Nexus 7 2013 model, keep us updated as I'm looking to do a very similar setup in my Lancer (not a FRS/BRZ but I do love both cars! )

One thing I'm conflicted on is the route of audio path for the 7 to a HU. I want to keep my steering wheel controls and preferably FM/Satellite radio capabilities and the best option for this would be to use a single DIN HU with steering wheel adapter (already running a Pioneer Z120BT with this currently) however to get controls on the Nexus 7 the way this could work is via BT Audio pairing. Only problem I've found is the quality of BT audio versus direct Aux could leave something to be desired.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bryan
well if you pair the controls through bluetooth with the nexus 7 and just wire in the headphone jack then shouldn't you still be able to control the music and have better audio?

also currently i'm running a cyanogenmod based rom using the elementalx kernel still. i cannot do hubs at the moment, but i am able to use a DAC thus making my sound quality way better and also only needing to plug a single cable into my tablet for easy install or removal.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #138
kabome

Quote:
well if you pair the controls through bluetooth with the nexus 7 and just wire in the headphone jack then shouldn't you still be able to control the music and have better audio?

also currently i'm running a cyanogenmod based rom using the elementalx kernel still. i cannot do hubs at the moment, but i am able to use a DAC thus making my sound quality way better and also only needing to plug a single cable into my tablet for easy install or removal.
I'm not sure if Android supports this type of profile, but I will try it with my phone today to see what happens.

The core problem is from the HU the BT controls and audio are only enabled when you're set to BT Audio on the HU, Aux input is a separate selection on the HU.

I will have to contemplate a bit more, because I do like the idea of keeping standard FM and satellite radio connections as backup since I do occassionally drive to the US (and I don't want to data roam) and every offline GPS Android app looks way better than the current Z120BT unit I have.

My ideal setup would be:
- Nexus 7 tab in dash area
- Single DIN HU, getting tablet, terrestrial and satellite radio inputs direct
- All audio controllable through steering wheel (tricky part!)

Two main methods I see today are BT Audio from the tablet (which quality seems to suffer somewhat for the streaming portion) or going with a Joycon to control the tablet directly (but I lose control to the single DIN HU)

With the Elementalx kernel are you able to do OTG for charging along with USB DAC? Are you using solely the Nexus 7 with an amp (no headunit like in other posts here)?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #139
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabome View Post
I'm not sure if Android supports this type of profile, but I will try it with my phone today to see what happens.

The core problem is from the HU the BT controls and audio are only enabled when you're set to BT Audio on the HU, Aux input is a separate selection on the HU.

I will have to contemplate a bit more, because I do like the idea of keeping standard FM and satellite radio connections as backup since I do occassionally drive to the US (and I don't want to data roam) and every offline GPS Android app looks way better than the current Z120BT unit I have.

My ideal setup would be:
- Nexus 7 tab in dash area
- Single DIN HU, getting tablet, terrestrial and satellite radio inputs direct
- All audio controllable through steering wheel (tricky part!)

Two main methods I see today are BT Audio from the tablet (which quality seems to suffer somewhat for the streaming portion) or going with a Joycon to control the tablet directly (but I lose control to the single DIN HU)

With the Elementalx kernel are you able to do OTG for charging along with USB DAC? Are you using solely the Nexus 7 with an amp (no headunit like in other posts here)?
ah i was thinking the controls could just control the music directly on the tablet and then from the tablet you plug in the aux.

i understand how you feel about wanting to keeping standard radio connections just in case you want those. that's how mine is set up too. my tablet just sits in front of the hu. at any point i can pull it out and continue using my head unit as normal. maybe look around to see if there are steering wheel remotes for android? unless you're saying that you also want the remote to control the head unit. at that point i don't think it's possible because that's like having one remote for two tvs. it could work, but it would get wonky. for me i never ever use my hu other than for listening to the music from my tablet so that's not an issue for me. however it's a jvc unit and i have the remote that most units come with so i could technically swap inputs as i want. i just never feel the need to. my tablet is also lte enabled so i could just do internet radio if i really felt like it.

yeah it's charging while having the dac plugged in. and again my nexus connects to my head unit. i prefer having one as a safety net.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #140
kabome

Quote:
ah i was thinking the controls could just control the music directly on the tablet and then from the tablet you plug in the aux.

i understand how you feel about wanting to keeping standard radio connections just in case you want those. that's how mine is set up too. my tablet just sits in front of the hu. at any point i can pull it out and continue using my head unit as normal. maybe look around to see if there are steering wheel remotes for android? unless you're saying that you also want the remote to control the head unit. at that point i don't think it's possible because that's like having one remote for two tvs. it could work, but it would get wonky. for me i never ever use my hu other than for listening to the music from my tablet so that's not an issue for me. however it's a jvc unit and i have the remote that most units come with so i could technically swap inputs as i want. i just never feel the need to. my tablet is also lte enabled so i could just do internet radio if i really felt like it.

yeah it's charging while having the dac plugged in. and again my nexus connects to my head unit. i prefer having one as a safety net.
Yep, the Joycon EXR (http://rcjoyeng.cafe24.com/base_3/me...idx=14&menu=10) can control an Android device (works as a USB keyboard).

Are you doing any steering wheel controls currently in your setup?

How is your USB DAC wired from the line out, are you doing Aux to your HU or RCA lines to another input type on the HU?

Which OTG cable are you using and where did you order it (I've read mixed reviews on the various forums)? You mention no USB hub setup yet, is this a limitation of ElementalX kernel or just something you've yet to do?

I may need to go your route as you said, keep the HU radio purely as backup--I do listen to some talk radio shows on FM and SXM however SXM has an app and LTE-enabled Nexus 7 would work well for doing streaming 99% of the time (I have a large data plan and would just get another SIM to share in tab directly). Steering wheel controls would only work with tablet.

Overall the benefit, customizability and slickness of an Android tablet setup outweighs the minor drawbacks.

Thanks for all your input on this!