follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Okay, who was it?

The funny part is that he tried to run. These cars are made of paper. You can't ram somebody and expect to get away.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dafc1qQzus4"]Drunk driver hit and run accident - YouTube[/ame]
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (12-14-2017), Mr.Impreza (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Series.Yellow @ 2:40. Wonder if they know each other.

But yea. Holy fuck what a stupid shit. My god.

I'm glad the cop had enough situational awareness to spring into action, since the driver seemed intent on 'ghosting' away.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
spike021 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow. How dumb can you be to pull that stunt right in front of a cop, and then still try to get away?

I guess he thought he had no choice since he was clearly drunk, but dayumm... that's gotta be a lot of extra charges.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
WHAT IN THE HELL, WHY WERE YOU DOING?!?! HE JUST BASHED MY BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
WHAT IN THE HELL, WHY WERE YOU DOING?!?! HE JUST BASHED MY BACK!

Yea I think the wife is more annoying than the hit 'n runner in this video.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
Brayden_23 (12-15-2017), ermax (12-14-2017), extrashaky (12-14-2017), Tcoat (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I get the dude was trying to be a good citizen but he caused his own accident by trying to block the other dude. Not excusing the Twin driver since he was clearly a menace all on his own but the Jeep driver could have killed somebody with that stunt. He could simply have pulled up to the cop and reported the drunk.

Anybody remember a "Is this totaled? Some idiot hit me and it wasn't my fault" thread in September?
Dadhawk (12-15-2017), fika84 (12-15-2017), FRSapex (12-16-2017), guybo (12-15-2017), Hades (12-14-2017), Jordanwolf (12-15-2017), mav1178 (12-14-2017), Qadthane (12-15-2017), spike021 (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Pretty dumb of the Jeep to try and be a hero.... I wonder what he's going to tell his insurance lol.

I would not be surprised if he has to pay out of pocket or face some premium increases after this. The twin was smoking and theres obviously a cop ahead, im pretty sure the cop would have chased the twin down without the Jeep's intervention.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Pretty dumb of the Jeep to try and be a hero.... I wonder what he's going to tell his insurance lol.

I would not be surprised if he has to pay out of pocket or face some premium increases after this. The twin was smoking and theres obviously a cop ahead, im pretty sure the cop would have chased the twin down without the Jeep's intervention.
Or if they needed to intervene - tell the cop on the way by. In traffic like that the 86 isn't getting far.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Man I would fire that wife fast. Telling me how to drive and then all that annoying yelling. Then again he obviously didn’t have the best decision making skills. Maybe she needs to give more directions. Hahaha

Bugs me when people try to be a hero. Like when you see people straddle two lanes to prevent people from going to the very end of a merging lane. Yeah I get that it’s annoying when people do that but I think it’s more annoying when people try to be a tough guy and block traffic.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Hades (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
extrashaky

That vigilante crap actually caused some problems during the mass migration north during the Hurricane Irma evacuation. I was in that herd stampeding north on I-75 before the storm. During a hurricane evacuation, you're supposed to use all the available lanes AND the shoulders to move as much traffic volume as possible. Fewer people were using the shoulders than the normal lanes, and as a result those lanes were moving faster. People in the normal lanes didn't like seeing people pass them, so some of them would pull out into the traffic on the shoulders to block them.

I didn't really want to drive on the shoulders because of the increased risk of picking up nails or screws in my tires or having garbage slung up into my windshield by the car in front of me, but seeing people whizzing by made me start thinking of pulling on out there to make better time. I dropped that idea after seeing a few near misses from white knights pulling out in front of people. You take 6 million people who never go anywhere and don't know how to travel, make them pack up all their shit in a panic and throw them all out onto the same road, you're going to end up with people behaving like children. Shaving half an hour off my trip wasn't worth the risk of antagonizing them further.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-15-2017), Hades (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Plumbus
Señor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
That vigilante crap actually caused some problems during the mass migration north during the Hurricane Irma evacuation. I was in that herd stampeding north on I-75 before the storm. During a hurricane evacuation, you're supposed to use all the available lanes AND the shoulders to move as much traffic volume as possible. Fewer people were using the shoulders than the normal lanes, and as a result those lanes were moving faster. People in the normal lanes didn't like seeing people pass them, so some of them would pull out into the traffic on the shoulders to block them.

I didn't really want to drive on the shoulders because of the increased risk of picking up nails or screws in my tires or having garbage slung up into my windshield by the car in front of me, but seeing people whizzing by made me start thinking of pulling on out there to make better time. I dropped that idea after seeing a few near misses from white knights pulling out in front of people. You take 6 million people who never go anywhere and don't know how to travel, make them pack up all their shit in a panic and throw them all out onto the same road, you're going to end up with people behaving like children. Shaving half an hour off my trip wasn't worth the risk of antagonizing them further.
I was also in that herd evacuating north but I had no idea you could use the shoulders. In fact I saw no one using them, except a rare few. I evacuated two or three days earlier so the traffic wasn't as bad as the last day when all procrastinators flooded the freeway. Anyway, I was severely sleep deprived to care if anyone used the shoulders and I wouldn't use my car to play vigilante even in normal conditions.

Poor twin, I felt sorry seeing it slowly get killed by its owner.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
I was also in that herd evacuating north but I had no idea you could use the shoulders.
Yep.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/lo...-yet/605420679

I-4 and the Turnpike also had shoulder use plans in effect. I was working in Orlando that Thursday and hit the road from there Friday morning. What normally would have been a 7 hour drive to my parents' place in Alabama took 13.5 hours, and you could have cracked walnuts against my shoulders by the time it was over.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #13
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Eh. I don't know what the driver of the Jeep's could see, but I'm assuming that the headlights of the car behind them obscured vision from the side mirror.

Also the FR-S left the front end in the middle of the road so the DRLs might not even have been on the car anymore. Then look at the severity of the impact. The FR-S had to be carrying a lot of speed. It also appears to go under the Jeeps and toss it. Wrap that all with the Asphalt color and nobody could see it coming.

Maybe it was a bad decision on the Jeep's part, but if I'm the Jeep driver I'm thinking that I have a big vehicle and maybe I can get some sense into someone who might be panicking.

A normal person doesn't anticipate stuff like this because it never happens. Who flees an accident then speeds at night without headlights in the emergency lane? You just assume the other person WILL see your brake lights and slow or stop.

Oh well, the FR-S did pretty okay considering they hit two people. Credit the low mounting position of the engine and high bumper of these trucks. If the FR-S had been going slower, I bet it would have survived the Jeep strike.

That's the lesson here, folks.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
DUI drivers should be left dead by the side of the road.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
VittorioS (12-15-2017)