follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And obsessing over this is NOT OCD. OCD would be if there was no scratch and you kept going back to look for it anyway.
...and then getting halfway up the driveway and having to turn around and check again because you can't remember if you checked every spot or because it might have been scratched again while your back was turned.

Also, OP: don't worry about it, man. It's not a historically-significant car where provenance matters-- nobody's gonna hit it with a paint gauge...
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (12-09-2017), Tcoat (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I didn't even know a paint gauge existed before your post haha
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
BaatLuk

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Update: Upon a closer look this morning, the repair actually does not look good at all. Found a lot of imperfections in the quarter panel where the repair was done - uneven spots in the clear coat (bubbles?), dust particles trapped in the clear coat/paint, over spray in window trims, masking tape marks on the door, and orange peel. At this point, I don't know if I can trust the dealer to rework the repair even if they are perfectly willing to. Not to mention all this was due to a defect that they tried to pass onto me in the first place. What would you do?

- Demand some kind of compensation?
- Ask for a new car?
- Take the car to another body shop and ask them to reimburse?

I can't get over the fact that I paid for a new car but yet it came with a defect, which required extensive body work done to a new car and it was done so poorly.
BaatLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #18
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They won't give you a new car. At this point it is yours unless you work some kind of a trade in deal with them and any financial institution involved.

Unfortunately, you didn't closely inspect it when you picked it up. The dealer SHOULD make it right, but it is pretty doubtful at this point. Probably would have been better off taking the car as it was delivered, or demanding a different deal when it was initially delivered. Now half the car will have a non factory respray in a hard to match color.

That shouldn't be on a carfax but multiple repair jobs get easier to spot, especially when shops try to just fix other shops' mistakes.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #19
BaatLuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
They won't give you a new car. At this point it is yours unless you work some kind of a trade in deal with them and any financial institution involved.

Unfortunately, you didn't closely inspect it when you picked it up. The dealer SHOULD make it right, but it is pretty doubtful at this point. Probably would have been better off taking the car as it was delivered, or demanding a different deal when it was initially delivered. Now half the car will have a non factory respray in a hard to match color.

That shouldn't be on a carfax but multiple repair jobs get easier to spot, especially when shops try to just fix other shops' mistakes.
Let's look at the facts here:

1. They tried to pass a defect to me in the first place.
2. First time they tried to repair the scratch by just filling in some color.
3. Second time they tried to repair it, they botched the whole quarter panel. The extent of the repair was never discussed or explained to me. Had I known the extent of the 2nd repair and their lack of skills, I would have stopped there.
4. Now I have almost half of the car resprayed twice for a defect that was never disclosed to me in the first place.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #20
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Step 1: Acquire a box
Step 2: Cut a hole in the box
Step 3: Put your junk in that box
Step 4: Close up the box
Step 5: Wrap up the box
Step 6: Give the dealership that box
Step 7: Throw your hands up
Step 8: Have them open the box
Step 9: Stare into their eyes
Step 10: Trade in your car in 2 months for a 2018 TS or 40th anneversiary
Step 11: Pat yourself on the back for figuring out a proactive & mature real world solution to your problem which literally requires the least amount of effort and time wasted on your part.

- Just one dealer visit
- Just one dealer conversation
- You take the smallest hit on your car since time lapsed of ownership and car wear will be at their minimum

PM me your venmo, snapcash, paypal, square cash, google wallet, circle, coinbase, wirex or iMessage info (for apple pay) so I can send you an invoice and payment request for my life coach consulting services.
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TachyonBomb For This Useful Post:
covance (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #21
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
Let's look at the facts here:

1. They tried to pass a defect to me in the first place.
2. First time they tried to repair the scratch by just filling in some color.
3. Second time they tried to repair it, they botched the whole quarter panel. The extent of the repair was never discussed or explained to me. Had I known the extent of the 2nd repair and their lack of skills, I would have stopped there.
4. Now I have almost half of the car resprayed twice for a defect that was never disclosed to me in the first place.
The salesman probably didn't even know the scratch was there, let alone maliciously try to pass it off. That is what the pre-delivery inspection is for.

All the other stuff, sure. You also had inspection time before taking the car back from being "fixed" to deny their repair.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #22
BaatLuk

There was no pre delivery inspection. Had I not discovered it before I drove off the lot, they would have probably denied it altogether. The bad repair job was clearly their fault regardless how much time has elapsed.

I paid for a new car, shouldn’t I get one with factory paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2017, 01:23 AM   #23
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ask for a different car as your starting negotiation point and work from there
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
There was no pre delivery inspection. Had I not discovered it before I drove off the lot, they would have probably denied it altogether. The bad repair job was clearly their fault regardless how much time has elapsed.

It is a bit of paint on a 2 inch scratch for Christ sake. Many new cars get touched up and it is not rare or unusual. The only fucking way you knew about the paint in the first place was by putting a gauge on it. Now all of a sudden there are all these horrible marks? Some paint is not "extensive bodywork". They could have told you to go pound salt in the first place since you signed for the car without inspecting it first. If you are not happy with it then have it done again but don't expect a new car or compensation like some entitled whiner. Have it repaired is reasonable all the other shit you seem to expect is NOT. At this point you are never going to be happy no matter how good a job they do so just trade the car for a nice Prius or something and move on with your life.
D_Thissen (12-10-2017), e30kawi (12-10-2017), TachyonBomb (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 AM   #25
BaatLuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is a bit of paint on a 2 inch scratch for Christ sake. Many new cars get touched up and it is not rare or unusual. The only fucking way you knew about the paint in the first place was by putting a gauge on it. Now all of a sudden there are all these horrible marks? Some paint is not "extensive bodywork". They could have told you to go pound salt in the first place since you signed for the car without inspecting it first. If you are not happy with it then have it done again but don't expect a new car or compensation like some entitled whiner. Have it repaired is reasonable all the other shit you seem to expect is NOT. At this point you are never going to be happy no matter how good a job they do so just trade the car for a nice Prius or something and move on with your life.
The dealer resprayed at least a whole quarter panel (possibly more) without discussing with me first. The sales guy told me they were just going to "color sand" the spot and it would be done in 2 days. Sure enough it took a whole week. On top of that, they did a poor job. I didn't have time to wash my car until this morning. Which part was my fault?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #26
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
The plot thickens!!

All of this and we have yet to see any pictures?
We demand pictures!!!!
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2017), VittorioS (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The dealer resprayed at least a whole quarter panel (possibly more) without discussing with me first. The sales guy told me they were just going to "color sand" the spot and it would be done in 2 days. Sure enough it took a whole week. On top of that, they did a poor job. I didn't have time to wash my car until this morning. Which part was my fault?
Where did I say it was your fault? Yes, you should expect a proper job of it. That means they should do whatever work is required to fix it. Why should they need to ask you your permission for every step of that work? I bet what he told you is that they were going to colour BLEND which is exactly what they did and the actual proper way to do it. So there is some extra paint there? What does it harm?
As I said you may as well just trade the car now since you are going to see things that not a single other person will ever notice but you are not entitled to compensation or a new car just because they are doing what would happen with any other car under these circumstances.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #28
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:

So you didn't drive the car or look it over before signing documents?