follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Selling their cars
Unhappy with ft86 21 17.65%
Better car available now or near future 20 16.81%
Too many problems with ft68 30 25.21%
Couldn't afford it 48 40.34%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #71
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Seems like the worlds gripe with this car is power. Being marketed to dudes who think their balls are the size of grapefruit I'm sure theres a fair bit of disappointment and ego crushing the first time a girl in a jetta leaves them looking silly. It doesn't help the salesmen talking up the car like you'll be paul walker 2.0 behind the wheel of it.

I told the salesman it was a slow car, he looked at me like I was nuts.

Similar deal when i bought a gti a few years ago the salesman tried to tell me what a race car it was till I gestured to the ls2 gto I had driven there.

The car is slow, no bones about it. But it lets me enjoy the power of other faster cars so much more. If you just want a fun drive and good mileage it hits the marks, otherwise, maybe you'll be ditching it in a year.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #72
lickitysplit
Don't care

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
Seems like the worlds gripe with this car is power. Being marketed to dudes who think their balls are the size of grapefruit I'm sure theres a fair bit of disappointment and ego crushing the first time a girl in a jetta leaves them looking silly. It doesn't help the salesmen talking up the car like you'll be paul walker 2.0 behind the wheel of it.

I told the salesman it was a slow car, he looked at me like I was nuts.

Similar deal when i bought a gti a few years ago the salesman tried to tell me what a race car it was till I gestured to the ls2 gto I had driven there.

The car is slow, no bones about it. But it lets me enjoy the power of other faster cars so much more. If you just want a fun drive and good mileage it hits the marks, otherwise, maybe you'll be ditching it in a year.
I still think its a little much to call the car slow. There are faster things out there, but there are far more slower things out there too.
lickitysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #73
Onealpha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Speed is relative to your perception. To me its slow, but in a good way. 125 mph at Turn One of Brno at full lean, scraping my knee when the back end of the superbike starts to wiggle, is fast. Yes, the BRZ is slow, but in a good way.
Onealpha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onealpha For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-08-2013), bestwheelbase (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #74
utekineir
blowhard

When compared to a loaded school bus on its way to fat camp these look like a pretty quick car. Sitting still at a red light, they look pretty quick.

For the way the car looks and is presented by marketing and salesmen, its slow. Especially for the person that doesn't attempt to sit below or above the torque dip.

I love the car, but i can totally see where someone who sees themself as speed racer, or a person that only has one car may lust for the car, then get it and decide it isn't for them.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #75
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
Really... the FR-S is miles ahead of a POS Mustang... Such a horrible, poorly designed, uncomfortable POS
The V6 Mustang has nearly double the torque with a 25% weight increase. Yeah it feels like a truck but it's a truck that can spin the tires in third gear which is something we can't say.

Different strokes for different folks.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Marchy (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #76
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Everytime I see one, my first reaction is it looks like it has about 300hp and can do burnouts pretty easily. I think Toyota put too much fast into the styling which is very cool but makes the car appear much faster than it actually is.

But I don't look at my brz when I'm driving and I'm very happy with the stock power because I don't need to blow past mini-vans from stop lights to feel manly, lol...
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #77
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
When compared to a loaded school bus on its way to fat camp these look like a pretty quick car. Sitting still at a red light, they look pretty quick.

For the way the car looks and is presented by marketing and salesmen, its slow. Especially for the person that doesn't attempt to sit below or above the torque dip.

I love the car, but i can totally see where someone who sees themself as speed racer, or a person that only has one car may lust for the car, then get it and decide it isn't for them.
And I still don't understand how someone could not notice this (lack of power/torque) after the first test drive. I was a little disappointed with the lack of torque, but all the other attributes of the car easily won me over.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #78
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The V6 Mustang has nearly double the torque with a 25% weight increase. Yeah it feels like a truck but it's a truck that can spin the tires in third gear which is something we can't say.

Different strokes for different folks.
No it can't, I had an 06 GT and it couldn't spin the tires in 3rd gear... and the V6 is open diff, so it can only do 1 wheel wonders.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #79
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
And I still don't understand how someone could not notice this (lack of power/torque) after the first test drive. I was a little disappointed with the lack of torque, but all the other attributes of the car easily won me over.
a lot of salesmen were being pretty whoreish about test drives due to the huge amount of people wanting to joyride, especially around launch. The given excuse i saw was to keep "miles down" for picky buyers. Many also were willing to buy without a test drive following the hype in the last number of years and every journalist suppressing their long object gag reflex for this car.

i know the route i was given with salesman didn't give an opportunity to experience the torque dip due to the roads, basically it was a local loop that showed off the pre torque dip drivability. It actually felt better than i was expecting far as local small road driving went.

the car i bought at a different dealer didn't even sit in till papers were signed
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #80
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The V6 Mustang...

...it's a truck that can spin the tires in third gear which is something we can't say.
Do you refer to chirping the tires shifting into the gear, or spinning the tires in-gear due to abundance of power?

I've always wondered why less-powerful cars are criticized that they cannot spin the tires at will. It's hardly a measure of a car's performance. Sometimes it is an after-effect of being very powerful but more often it's simply the result of running crap tires.

Having been in RWD cars that can spin (grippy) tires from a 3rd or 4th gear roll... it is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes it's pretty damn terrifying.

Food for thought. :happy0180:
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Marchy (08-08-2013), TRD-X (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #81
thill

Quote:
a lot of salesmen were being pretty whoreish about test drives due to the huge amount of people wanting to joyride, especially around launch. The given excuse i saw was to keep "miles down" for picky buyers. Many also were willing to buy without a test drive following the hype in the last number of years and every journalist suppressing their long object gag reflex for this car.

i know the route i was given with salesman didn't give an opportunity to experience the torque dip due to the roads, basically it was a local loop that showed off the pre torque dip drivability. It actually felt better than i was expecting far as local small road driving went.

the car i bought at a different dealer didn't even sit in till papers were signed
Well, then it is hard to feel sorry for people how have buyers remorse for buying a car that they never drove and only read about on the internet.

I guess lesson learned. No matter how hyped a car is, you should always test drive it. If the dealership refuses to let you test drive a car you are spending $25-30K on, then either find another dealer or wait until the hype dies down.

You don't have to drive this car hard to understand the power limitations. They are readily apparent after driving faster cars.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #82
utekineir
blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
You don't have to drive this car hard to understand the power limitations. They are readily apparent after driving faster cars.
Put johnny race car who's got the dopest tc in the subdivision behind the wheel of a twin on a route with 3 school zones 5 corners and a couple red lights and he'll have his mom in for the cosign by the afternoon.

holler
Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #83
thill

Quote:
Put johnny race car who's got the dopest tc in the subdivision behind the wheel of a twin on a route with 3 school zones 5 corners and a couple red lights and he'll have his mom in for the cosign by the afternoon.

holler
Well sure this car is definitely faster than a TC. But even all the reviews were pretty honest about this car not being as fast as a 6 cylinder Mustang, Gencoupe, Focus ST, Mazda Speed3, etc. If people were expecting this car to be as fast off the line as most of the competitors, they did not do their homework and bought the wrong car. Again, I have no sympathy.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #84
utekineir
blowhard

Are you saying the average American is dumb as shit and makes poor purchasing decisions?