follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #673
JRitt

Drives: 2012 BRZ Premium WRB 6MT
Thanked 1,411 Times in 376 Posts
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Dave...I think you deserve a prize or something! To my knowledge you are indeed the first one to crack a disc since we released these kits last summer.

Discs are indeed a wear item. On a car that is tracked frequently, the discs will always crack before they wear thin. Just to be clear, Dave wasn't posting to complain about the disc cracking. He was posting to say, 'Wow, these discs take a beating.' He has been intentionally pushing the limits of the brakes just to see what they could take. If you look back at his post about the CL pads and the temp strips, he was intentionally pouring as much heat as possible into his brakes. That's why he called it his, 'braking antics.' Dave is slightly warped and likes the idea of being the worst case scenario.

In Dave's case, if he wants to continue his 'antics,' a brake duct kit would likely bring his temps down a bit...or he could purposefully take it out of destructo mode and drive like a normal human-being. :p

JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRitt For This Useful Post:
akuhei (03-25-2013), Dave-ROR (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #674
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Just to be clear, Dave wasn't posting to complain about the disc cracking. He was posting to say, 'Wow, these discs take a beating.'
Yeah, sorry if it came off as a complaint. Granted I wouldn't have had the confidence to attempt this level of abuse with the OEM brakes but if I had it would have cracked a lot earlier. It was not a complaint in any way. I PM'd Jeff before posting this telling him I needed to buy some rotors, definitely not with a complaint He ignored the question about my buddies E36 though.. and Jeff, his name isn't Lance.... you can answer

Quote:
He has been intentionally pushing the limits of the brakes just to see what they could take. If you look back at his post about the CL pads and the temp strips, he was intentionally pouring as much heat as possible into his brakes. That's why he called it his, 'braking antics.' Dave is slightly warped and likes the idea of being the worst case scenario.
Warped... maybe a little. The car is so slow on the straights and we run pass-anywhere rules in the higher solo groups with Chin, so I really wanted to determine two things: 1) How late could I brake if I ever felt the need to, or if I brain farted for a second and stopped being focused, and 2) if I got a point by going into the braking zone for the hairpin, how likely am I to be in taking that point by, and slowing enough to successfully and safely complete the pass.. and stay on the track surface. You need to figure that out to have that answer so this is just me continuing to experiment. If I had another 100hp I wouldn't have to bother, I could drive just like most of the Corvettes and GT3's out there.. slow in, slow out, drag race, repeat... plus people like late braking and I had a few passengers this weekend. All were amazed at how deeply the car could go before braking, and the entry and cornering speed of the car. (that's all car not driver!) Oh, catching up to GT3s on hoosiers mid way through 17 with a 20mph closing rate unexpectedly and stabbing already hot brakes probably isn't too good for heat management either........ ugh.

Quote:
In Dave's case, if he wants to continue his 'antics,' a brake duct kit would likely bring his temps down a bit...or he could purposefully take it out of destructo mode and drive like a normal human-being. :p
LOL once I'm done testing the limits I will most back down to the faster hard on the brakes, ease off, turn in method. This level of late braking isn't fast since I'm overheating the front tires (and seriously loading them) in the process, it's just data for me. I am considering ducting though, I just hate to lose the foglights (yeah yeah they are pointless but I like the way the car looks with them), might run it next to the cooler.. don't know. :shrug: Need to figure out which ones will work correctly too, since most I've seen wouldn't. I think only one kit actually functions correctly that I've seen on here. I could just make some but I don't have much free time anymore
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #675
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA View Post
Just finalising my endurance system order
Right choice! Would you be adding a brake cooling duct kit?

For several months every weekend I take these pretties out of their respective boxes, tidy them up, then couple of minutes of kiss&hugs, then put them on the shelf till next week.

Bloody winter, get the hell out of my city!

MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSTiFK8R For This Useful Post:
coyote (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #676
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTiFK8R View Post

For several months every weekend I take these pretties out of their respective boxes, tidy them up, then couple of minutes of kiss&hugs, then put them on the shelf till next week.

Cool picture though! And that's a lot of snow!
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #677
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Oh yeah, I also figured I'd note, even with the serious abuse I threw at the brakes, they didn't fade one bit. The CL RC6E pads are very very good and handled the heat without any noticable (to me anyways) change in performance, and the AP fluid included with the Essex Comp kits also held up perfectly, and I was too busy to bleed them this time so they already had abusive track days on them

Confidence in braking and fade free operation under heavy abuse equals a win in my book.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #678
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Awesome photo!
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #679
MSTiFK8R

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@coyote @Dave-ROR

and this is happening as you watch

the good thing is you just can't get the rotor toooo hot to crack it )
and you won't even bother with the ducts hehe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTtB6mICknA&feature=player_detailpage#t=73 s"]’еснƒ замело снегом - YouTube[/ame]
MSTiFK8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #680
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I loved the people pushing the trolley bus. That's the spirit!

Mate you could start a thread, "From Russia with Love".

I lived in Praha (CZ) for a while many years ago and you're pictures remind me of that.

Anyway, back to Jeff counting the bonuses he's going to make out of Dave's late braking antics.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coyote For This Useful Post:
MSTiFK8R (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #681
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
I had the JOY of installing the Kit on the inovate car for the modified shoot out. Everything fit PERFECT. CL 5's did the job at the track and the car did VERY well in the tests requiring brakes! Harness bar worked GREAT too! Good Job Jeff!
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robispec For This Useful Post:
03Z33 (03-25-2013), D1cker (03-25-2013), Huehuecoyotl (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #682
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, your Russian weather is causing some issues for us in temperate Western Europe as well.

Tell you what; when it stops snowing I am going to have a massive track season this year

I think I'll do some brake cooling and I've a big urge to cut some holes in the front of the car.
ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ICantAffordAnLFA For This Useful Post:
MSTiFK8R (03-26-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #683
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
CL RC6E. I have confidence in the brakes to the point that I brake pretty late, and very hard. Not the best technique probably to save parts but I've also been trying to push it further and further to see just how late I could go. The RC6E's are sintered fully metallic pads and generate quite a bit of heat, more than semi-metallics from the temp data I gathered. These rotors saw north of 1,200 degrees in less than 20 minutes.

Also, I was driving three cars this weekend, there were a few times when I came off the track and switched cars, which is, IMO what caused the crack in the first place. Normally I give the brakes more cool down and roll the car a bit to reduce hot spots, I didn't do that every time this weekend.
Too cool to cool down Dave!

On a side note, I wonder if ducting will solve the issue at this point. The replacement disc cost is simply hard to beat right now. Crack that 2nd set with ducting and it'll mean it's time to move onto ducted Endurance Kit! :happy0180:
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #684
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
LOL once I'm done testing the limits I will most back down to the faster hard on the brakes, ease off, turn in method. This level of late braking isn't fast since I'm overheating the front tires (and seriously loading them) in the process, it's just data for me. I am considering ducting though, I just hate to lose the foglights (yeah yeah they are pointless but I like the way the car looks with them), might run it next to the cooler.. don't know. :shrug: Need to figure out which ones will work correctly too, since most I've seen wouldn't. I think only one kit actually functions correctly that I've seen on here. I could just make some but I don't have much free time anymore
Have you considered ducts pulling air from UNDERNEATH of the car, rather than in front of the car? Take a look at stock GT3/RS/Cup Car brake ducting around the control arm area for ideas.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #685
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Have you considered ducts pulling air from UNDERNEATH of the car, rather than in front of the car? Take a look at stock GT3/RS/Cup Car brake ducting around the control arm area for ideas.
this is what i am doing with my oil cooler!
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #686
robispec

Drives: Black frs project
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
cracked rotors means they are too light for the track conditions. They crack due to heat spikes that excede the metals ability to return to static without failure.
he first rotors I was running cracked because they were two lbs lighter than the ones used on the AP kit we went up to that weight and have had no problems.
Ducting can help this. Our experiance is 1200 peak = few problems 1400 peak cracks about 50% of the time 1600 cracking almost for sure...
robispec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robispec For This Useful Post:
03Z33 (03-26-2013)