follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #71
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think the rotrex based kits need some more fine tuning for the base maps.. Despite having the biggest gains in the meaty area of the power band, they also look the worst and i bet they would not feel very smooth the way the power oscillates.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #72
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
I think the rotrex based kits need some more fine tuning for the base maps.. Despite having the biggest gains in the meaty area of the power band, they also look the worst and i bet they would not feel very smooth the way the power oscillates.
Hit me up for a ride. What are you not liking about the powerband?

Jackson Racing:

Innovate:

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #73
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post

Bolt and go canned tune JR and Innovate

Both have N/A base run to compare gains in %, not just outright numbers.

Both do well in different areas.
Don't forget those two dyno's are using different corrections, one it SAE the other is STD... If you ran the innovate car on the same dyno as the JR it would make about 220whp (would have done better if did not start to get knocky up top from the looks of the graph).
Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #74
CSG Mike

Quote:
Don't forget those two dyno's are using different corrections, one it SAE the other is STD... If you ran the innovate car on the same dyno as the JR it would make about 220whp (would have done better if did not start to get knocky up top from the looks of the graph). This graph of the intercooled innovate also includes a baseline...
Correction only affects scaling, not the "bumpiness".

If you overlay the two graphs and scale them to make the baselines match, the Innovate makes a hair more power down low, while the Jackson Racing kills it up top.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #75
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Correction only affects scaling, not the "bumpiness".
Of Course, that why it's not called smoothing

Quote:
If you overlay the two graphs and scale them to make the baselines match, the Innovate makes a hair more power down low, while the Jackson Racing kills it up top.
Indeed, both rotrex kits do... but they both need more fine tuning IMO to smooth out the power delivery..

I'm sure there is more to come from the rotrex camp...

Thanks for posting and thanks to whomever created the data comaparison!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #76
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Don't forget those two dyno's are using different corrections, one it SAE the other is STD... If you ran the innovate car on the same dyno as the JR it would make about 220whp (would have done better if did not start to get knocky up top from the looks of the graph).
I'm sure the base runs and the boosted runs used the same correction for each individual dyno test.

The interesting results are the gains (WTQ):

RPM__ Inn___ JR
@3K +10% +5%
@4K +43% +30%
@5K +25% +16%
@6K +28% +25%
@7K +23% +36%

Same gain occurs @ ~6500 rpm.

*did the best I could to plot off these configurations.
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #77
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
"Standard 75mm pulley, stock exhaust and 91 octane fuel."

What about headers or other mods? That's pretty amazing.
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #78
Ralph Spoilsport

Drives: 2013 BRZ, WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Let's talk air filters. I have to deal with a shit ton of sand in Winter/Spring, and we use so much on the roads that it never really goes away entirely. I consider K&N to be a non-starter. Is that what's shipping with JR and KW? What does Vortech use? I checked the KW and JR sites, no answers there (less interested in Vortech for other reasons).

Edit: Yeah, small detail, I know.

Last edited by Ralph Spoilsport; 01-14-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Ralph Spoilsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #79
PRORICAN

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post
Let's talk air filters. I have to deal with a shit ton of sand in Winter/Spring, and we use so much on the roads that it never really goes away entirely. I consider K&N to be a non-starter. Is that what's shipping with JR and KW? What does Vortech use? I checked the KW and JR sites, no answers there (less interested in Vortech for other reasons).
The filter it's probably the easiest and cheapest thing to change out on these kits. If you don't like the K&N then just replace it for whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't choose a kit because I like the filter.
PRORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #80
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post
The Jackson Racing kit uses a K&N. If it doesn't float your boat, it's super easy to swap on a filter of your choice, due to the location.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #81
shaunsweeney

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT Asphalt Grey
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You just can't beating innovates tq curve. I couldn't care less about having a dyno queen. That thing would be a blast to drive everyday. The addition of the intercoolled seems to remedy the biggest issue with the base kit. I'm starting to lean this way over a turbo honestly.

I'm such a sucker for tq.
shaunsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shaunsweeney For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (02-06-2015), CK_Bladesmith (01-16-2014), Freeman (01-15-2014), jjkerr626 (04-30-2014), xjohnx (01-14-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #82
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsweeney View Post
You just can't beating innovates tq curve. I couldn't care less about having a dyno queen. That thing would be a blast to drive everyday. The addition of the intercoolled seems to remedy the biggest issue with the base kit. I'm starting to lean this way over a turbo honestly.

I'm such a sucker for tq.
I used to think like this, but that down low torque is good for what? When you're rowing through the gears you're not going to spend much time below 4K if you're shifting near redline - you spend 1st gear and maybe part of second in the under 4k RPM range if you shifted early. At the point where you're shifting at the top of the rev range, your next shift will bring you into the 4.5-5K range every time, thus the power and torque up-top becomes more important and with a significant enough difference actually outweigh the low end torque.

Okay so the 30-15 approximate torque the Innovate makes up to ~4.2K is definitely something you're going to feel in the seat of your pants, but you're going to feel something else when the other supercharged Twin starts walking you in 3rd or 4th; I'm saying I very much doubt the advantage of the torque down low anywhere outside of road racing where you may be in the <4K range on a frequent basis. From a roll in the wrong gear? Might be a disadvantage, but you're in the wrong gear bro.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
ramiram1984 (01-16-2014), Tye300 (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #83
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I used to think like this, but that down low torque is good for what? When you're rowing through the gears you're not going to spend much time below 4K if you're shifting near redline - you spend 1st gear and maybe part of second in the under 4k RPM range if you shifted early. At the point where you're shifting at the top of the rev range, your next shift will bring you into the 4.5-5K range every time, thus the power and torque up-top becomes more important and with a significant enough difference actually outweigh the low end torque.

Okay so the 30-15 approximate torque the Innovate makes up to ~4.2K is definitely something you're going to feel in the seat of your pants, but you're going to feel something else when the other supercharged Twin starts walking you in 3rd or 4th; I'm saying I very much doubt the advantage of the torque down low anywhere outside of road racing where you may be in the <4K range on a frequent basis.
I'd probably enjoy the low end torque driving it as a daily driver. Stop lights, around corners, etc. I'm not racing it. Just having a little fun.
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #84
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I'd probably enjoy the low end torque driving it as a daily driver. Stop lights, around corners, etc. I'm not racing it. Just having a little fun.
And that's where I spend most of my time too - but the nature of this engine is to rev and I do that anyway. See what I'm saying? If you shift at 3-4K yeah the Innovate might seem like a huge difference to you...and I DO shift at 3-4K when I'm just minding my own business, but all that lost top-end makes me sad. Shoot, on the highway in 6th I'm already almost at the point where the Innovate's advantage ends and if we talk about downshifting to 5th then the advantage is absolutely gone at freeway speeds. Lots of lower speed cornering and stuff, I could understand where the Innovate might be better. Look at this way: 50hp on side of the line versus 30 to 15ish on the other side.

I just don't see the low-end gain *possible* on the Innovate as an equal trade off for the power you're losing on the top-end in my opinion. The area under the graph wtq chart reflects this too.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (04-28-2014)