follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Visconti

Hi Guys,

I have been chatting to Visconti regarding there STG1 tune and the benefits and performance results gained from there tunes.
@Visconti has agreed to open this thread to enable us in South Africa to ask questions and understand what they have to offer us with regards to tunes, Supercharging and even turbo installations to the 86.

If you are interested please feel free to join in and ask questions.

Rich from Visconti can add what they have available and links to existing threads for you to read up on to get better insight.
@Rich@ViscontiTuning

Thanks Visconti.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Hey everyone!

We really appreciate your interest down there, and I think you will be really impressed with the results we can offer you! I would just like the opportunity to introduce myself in this thread, and let ya know that I'm happy to take any questions or help clarify anything you guys are curious about regarding our products and these cars. Visconti Tuning has by far the most experience with the FA20 Platform. We were the first to offer an Ethanol (e85) tune, we were the first to tune upgraded fuel pumps and injectors, and we tuned the worlds first Turbo BRZ, which Jalopnik.com covered at the time (Click here to read).

Ryan and I have been going back and forth for a little bit, and he seems like a really great guy and someone I would want to know if I were involved down there in the 86 scene in South Africa. I think Ryan is ready to purchase our full STG1 kit with EcuTek ProECU, which includes everything needed to flash your car with our calibration. This includes three main components. The EcuTek OBDII-to-USB cable, the EcuTek License (think of it like a windows product key or any other software serial number) and then of course, our calibration which is the tune itself.

BUT.. you are not required to own the cable. You will need the cable to make ANY changes to the ECU though, so we do recommend purchasing your own, but again, it is not required to own one and have your car tuned; you just need access to one. So if Ryan was to purchase the full kit from us, he seems willing to share the cable for installation purposes, which could wind up saving you guys a lot of money. Rather than paying the $350 (plus shipping) for your own cable, i'm sure you could goto Ryan and pay him $50 or so for his time, and he could take care of ya.

If that's the direction any of you reading would be interested in, the License & Calibration Package ONLY (no cable) is a relative steal at $600! And what's great about this package is, it's all digital so there's no shipping charges and no wait. Once you have access to a cable, we can have you tuned the same day!

But let's talk about WHY you would want our tune in your car. Well, for starters, our calibration is on average, increasing output by about 10-15 wheel horsepower (on pumpgas). But you're really going to feel the difference in the mid-range as we advance the timing, increase throttle response, and ..make M000R Power! In addition to the obvious power gains, we also incorporate new RaceRom features unavailable from the factory and most other tuners. There are 4 maps you can run from our calibration and you can configure them the way you want. We have them setup by default as follows:
  • ​Map 1 - Tune + Stock Rev Limiter
  • Map 2 - Tune + 8000RPM Rev Limiter in 2nd Gear + Launch Control + Flat Foot Shifting
  • Map 3 - Tune + 8000RPM Rev Limiter in 2nd Gear + Launch Control + Flat Foot Shifting + RaceRom Traction Control
  • Map 4 - Tune + 8000RPM Rev Limiter in 2nd Gear + Launch Control + Flat Foot Shifting + More Agreesive RaceRom Traction Control
To briefly explain each feature, we raise the Rev limit in 2nd gear to 8,000 RPM for 0-60 mph times (or 0-100 kph, as I'm sure you guys are used to), because you cannot hit 60mph in 2nd gear without raising the limiter. Launch Control is exactly what it sounds like , and really fun! Once activated, you floor the accelerator and it will hold at our predefined RPM for the perfect launch everytime! Flat Foot Shifting is for you 6spd MT guys (the real drivers out there lol ), because it allows you to keep the accelerator floored even during shifting, without having to worry about bouncing off the rev limiter when the clutch is engaged.

Finally we offer two more aggressive levels of Traction Control over Factory. Map 3's Lvl 1 TC is a little more liberal than the factory TC system and will allow for more wheel spin, while Map 4's Lvl 2 TC is much more aggressive, and allows for a lot more fun but still maintains that "safety net" should things get out of hand. In order to activate these TC's, you simply disable the factory traction control in either maps 3 or 4, and the corresponding RaceRom TC will kick in. Or if you wish to disable TC completely, you would simply use maps 1 or 2, and turn the factory TC off. In addition to all that, we off FREE updates for life, and we have only ONE calibration for stock and STG1 bolt ons. So in other words, unlike a lot of other tuners, you will not need to pay twice if you go from stock + STG1 Tune to say Full Exhaust + STG1 tune. All we have you do is run a new datalog on the new setup, and if any adjustments are necessary, we make them for you at no additional cost!

Ok, I think that's a good place to stop for now. That should give everyone a pretty good idea of what we're about, and why our product is so well respected. Below you will find the two purchase links (shipping included to South Africa) should any of you guys decide to move forward. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to respond to this thread, PM me, email me or you can call if ya like too . Thanks for the opportunity to showcase what we offer, and we genuinely look forward to working with you guys!!

STG1 NA Flash w/ EcuTek's ProECU Kit is $950 + Shipping

EcuTek License + STG1 NA Flash ONLY

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR HIGHER-RES VERSION

EDIT: I'm sorry, I forgot to clarify:
BLUE LINE - is base line HP
RED LINE - is our calibration on pumpgas
GREEN LINE - is our calibration on Ethanol (e85)

Last edited by Rich@ViscontiTuning; 04-19-2013 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Added Dyno graph and legend
Rich@ViscontiTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
Gp1666 (04-19-2013), Matt_RSA (04-22-2013), Razzle (04-19-2013), Ryan86 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanks Rich for clarifying. This really sounds like a great tune, and loads of fun
I have a question or 2.
15 HP gain at what altitude, we are at 5,751 ft.
We see summer temp of 30 – 40 degrees Celsius (86 – 104 F), how will this affect timing advance?
How aggressive are the timing tables, will the car detonate at high temps? (keep in mind be run at 95 RON).
Do you have any AFR readings at WOT?

Thanks again for allowing us the opportunity to raise questions.
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeeTee86 For This Useful Post:
Ryan86 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee86 View Post
Thanks Rich for clarifying. This really sounds like a great tune, and loads of fun
I have a question or 2.
15 HP gain at what altitude, we are at 5,751 ft.
We see summer temp of 30 – 40 degrees Celsius (86 – 104 F), how will this affect timing advance?
How aggressive are the timing tables, will the car detonate at high temps? (keep in mind be run at 95 RON).
Do you have any AFR readings at WOT?

Thanks again for allowing us the opportunity to raise questions.
Hey GeeTee!

It really is a great product, and Visconti's worked very hard to make this calibration as "adaptable" as possible to the widely varying environmental conditions that we're now running our calibration in. We have this STG1 tune in well over 300 cars around the world now, and to your point; this creates a lot of diverse demands that we've had to adapt it to.

So how do we do that? Well, one of the foundations of a great calibration is the ability to automatically adjust key factors to match the current conditions the engine is running in. And the primary variable affected by the different environments we tune for, is air density. As you're probably well aware of, air density can be affected by many factors. Elevation thins the air out. Heat thins the air out. And then of course, the octane of the fuel becomes ever more important as you build bigger power too. These adjustments become much more important with our forced induction applications, because of how much they affect boost, and how much more quickly things can go bad if proper precautions aren't in place. But as I've already alluded to above, we've (literally) got the most experience out there tuning these cars for much bigger power.

At forced induction levels, I believe we're the only company that insists on upgrading the MAP sensor, and including it in our kits. The reason we do this is because we need the most accurate pressure readings possible, to keep all the things you mentioned in check; air/fuel mix, timing, and in FI cases, boost.

But why am I talking about forced induction when we're talking about STG1 here? Basically, I'm just trying to make the point that we don't sell our products based on the "biggest HP numbers" or "the most impressive dyno curves;" we sell our products based on results. And to achieve the results we've made, the safety of your engine is absolutely the top priority. And we incorporate several "failsafes" to ensure that IF the engine is on the verge of overheating, knocking (or worse, detonating), we immediately cut back the power to prevent any damage. We try and take as much "user error" out of the equation as possible.

We start everyone off with our off-the-shelf (OTC) calibration, which is designed to make good power at safe levels. Then we have you run datalogs, which simply consist of a few WOT pulls in 3rd and 4rth gear along with some cruising. After that, we have you submit the datalogs through our support console which gives us the chance to review everything, make sure everything is running correctly first, and then we can further dial in the calibration to the environmental conditions, like your altitude and temperature.

Sooo.. having said all that, I bet you're ready for me to get to the point (lol); how will our HP gains compare to your environment? . Well, like all mechanics, efficiency dictates output. As conditions become more favorable, performance will increase. Less favorable, efficiency will decrease. But that's not to say that you won't wind up with some really strong results. I can tell you this with confidence: there's nothing else out there that will give you the "bang for your buck" that our calibration will provide. And since you're in an environment where you're "battling the elements" a little harder than most of our other customers, we're going to recommend you also upgrade the bolt ons with your car.

And that leads me into my final point. Another really good reason to go with us is we believe very strongly that the best place to start modifying your car is with the ECU. In this day and age, the cars are run almost entirely by computers. So while of course it will always be important to mechanically increase the efficiency of your car with upgraded intakes/headers/exhaust/etc., the software is where the real gains can be made. And the point i'm leading up to is: we're only going to charge you once for this tune! There's no "stock calibration" for X dollars and then "intake/exhaust calibration" for Y dollars.. we're confident that our tune will naturally make more power as you mechanically increase its efficiency.

So anyway, I do hope the answers you were looking for are buried somewhere in these paragraphs . If not, let me know! I try and be as thorough as I possibly can to avoid one short answer leading to several new unanswered questions lol. But that's not to say that I wouldn't still love the opportunity to help clarify or explain further, anything anyone is still unclear on. We stand by the philosophy that, when we were young and just getting into modifying our cars, WE would have loved to have had someone break all this down in as much detail as possible for us - we didn't have that, and it was a major motivator to start doing it ourselves. Because at the end of the day, we want to keep you guys as customers for as long as you have a car we can tune . That's why we're offering the free updates for life! Because we're confident that once you get comfortable with STG1... it's inevitable that STG2 starts becoming more and more desirable, and boom! before ya know it, you're running our STG3+ Full Blown package

Thanks for reading everyone. We're here whenever you need us!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
JouMaSeHoes (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
Gp1666

Drives: Toyota 86 std Dark Grey metallic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks alot for the info Rich. Could u possibly provide us with some facts and figures for your supercharging and turbo tunes as well pls.
Gotta know how much I need to start saving up for.
Gp1666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp1666 View Post
Thanks alot for the info Rich. Could u possibly provide us with some facts and figures for your supercharging and turbo tunes as well pls.
Gotta know how much I need to start saving up for.
We're running a HUGE sale on our Vortech Kits for this month only. Check out the links in my signature!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #7
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thank for the informative answer. I believe it will answer a lot of questions.
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
reQunix

Drives: '13 Toyota 86 High AT (Pearl White)
Garage
Hey Rich,

Thanks for all the information. I wasn't planning on doing this but now it seems like a kind of must have.

One question, I have an automatic transmission. Does your map work just as well on automatics or do you have a different one? Naturally, some aspects of the tune need not apply to automatic, but I imagine you would have to replicate some of the bahaviour. I'm quite impressed with the factory behaviour on the automatics' ECUs.

I'm thinking I'll get a cable shipped to Cape Town as well so that we have one down here for anyone interested in doing this upgrade.
reQunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reQunix View Post
Hey Rich,

Thanks for all the information. I wasn't planning on doing this but now it seems like a kind of must have.

One question, I have an automatic transmission. Does your map work just as well on automatics or do you have a different one? Naturally, some aspects of the tune need not apply to automatic, but I imagine you would have to replicate some of the bahaviour. I'm quite impressed with the factory behaviour on the automatics' ECUs.

I'm thinking I'll get a cable shipped to Cape Town as well so that we have one down here for anyone interested in doing this upgrade.
That would be fantastic! Regarding your question about the A/T, they are slightly different calibrations, but you can expect the exact same results! Let me know if you have any other specifics .
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
That would be fantastic! Regarding your question about the A/T, they are slightly different calibrations, but you can expect the exact same results! Let me know if you have any other specifics .
How would we combat changing the tune when sending the vehicle in for service?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
Gp1666 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
reQunix

Drives: '13 Toyota 86 High AT (Pearl White)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@ViscontiTuning View Post
Regarding your question about the A/T, they are slightly different calibrations, but you can expect the exact same results!.
OK, I'm sold. I'll wait for others to have a chance to make up their minds and then we can order, but I'll definitely get the cable as well, so if anyone is worried about getting it done in Cape Town you can use my cable.

Just out of curiosity would this OBD-II to USB cable be usable for something like Torque Pro as well? Does anyone know?
reQunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Ryan86
Road Warrior

I'm also sold, pity you in CpT....
Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
How would we combat changing the tune when sending the vehicle in for service?
When you bring the car in for service, you simply flash back in the stock map (which we provide to you when we send you our calibration) and there's no way for the dealer to know the ECU has been modified. But again, this is why we advise purchasing your own cable, because you will need it to flash any changes or updates (including back to stock).

However.. it only takes about 5 minutes to flash these changes, so as long as you plan ahead (if you didn't have the cable), you could definitely still get by without it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich@ViscontiTuning For This Useful Post:
Vic_RSA (04-20-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Rich@ViscontiTuning
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reQunix View Post
OK, I'm sold. I'll wait for others to have a chance to make up their minds and then we can order, but I'll definitely get the cable as well, so if anyone is worried about getting it done in Cape Town you can use my cable.

Just out of curiosity would this OBD-II to USB cable be usable for something like Torque Pro as well? Does anyone know?
That's a good question. If I had to guess though, I would say yes. Most of these software packages require the use of their own cables, but I think Torque Pro itself, will read from any cable just as long as there's a connection to the ECU. But again, I have not tested this, nor have I used that particular app (no iOS version :/.. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
I'm also sold, pity you in CpT....
Plenty of cables to go around! lol