follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
sieeegel

Drives: rsx was stolen :(
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Out of state car: where can i register it?

If i purchase the brz out of state, where will the car be registered? Where would the sales tax be applied? Would i be issued temp tags from the state of the dealer that sold me the car? Thanks.
sieeegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Blackforge

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You will more than likely need to go to the county that you live in's tax/title/license office (sometimes called license commissioner office). How the dealer handles collecting tax is really up to them. I have had them charge me what their local taxes are, they send a check to the tax office and I end up getting a refund from the license commissioner's office. If they don't charge enough then you may need to pay more at the office.

As for tags: If you are not doing a trade in then more than likely they will provide you a state temporary tag where you purchase it from. Some will try to move the plates from a trade in. I would just suggest asking for a temporary tag in either case because not all states allow a tag transfer like that.
Blackforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Interesting question. I've only bought out of state cars used before. Because of mutual protection measures on both the side of myself and the seller, I had neither temporary plates nor a title when I was transporting the car. I got pulled over along the way, and a polite attitude, a bill of sale, drivers license, and proof of insurance on the new car were all it took for me to go along my merry way with a "congrats on the 'new' car" from the officer.

Dealer should issue a temp tag regardless of destination, but again I can't confirm. Just curious, why are you looking on buying out-of-state vs having the car you want transferred in? A Boss 302 I was recently looking at was just transferred halfway across the country for a buyer, which is why I ask.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
A lot depends on which state out-of-state and where it's gonna be registered. If it's neighboring your state (IL?) they might have reciprocity agreement to collect sales tax at the point of sale. Generally dealers will give you temp tags.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
sieeegel

Drives: rsx was stolen :(
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The story is that i currently live in illinois but will be moving shortly to florida. I have been doing business with a dealer in illinois where i reside. Tax in florida is much cheaper (6 vs 9.5) so it would be nice just to register the car there And pay sales tax there too.
sieeegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'm gonna guess that you gonna have to be able to prove you're a resident of Florida at the time you buy the car. If you can - there's a "7/30 DAY INTRASTATE/INTERSTATE TRANSPORT PERMIT" that a dealer can get for you. See here.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieeegel View Post
If i purchase the brz out of state, where will the car be registered? Where would the sales tax be applied? Would i be issued temp tags from the state of the dealer that sold me the car? Thanks.
I've bought several cars out of state (purchased in FL, registered in GA) because my personal car salesman (my Father-In-Law) used to live in Florida.

Most dealers know how to deal with this situation and will help you with it. As long as you are a resident of the other state, they'll usually take care of the paperwork for you and charge you the appropriate sales tax for the area you live in. If the tax where you are registering the car is less than the local tax where you buy it, you may have to make sure they don't try to charge you the local tax.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm buying the car in Pennsylvania but I live in NYC. I'm wondering how the heck the TTL will work.
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote