follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #3991
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
So I am wondering if maybe JDL EL w/cat + Nameless OP/FP w/resonator + Perrin unresonated would be tolerable.

From what your saying it looks like Nameless or any other non catted header may be too raspy unless I get a resonator for my Perrin catback.
I'm doing your exact hypothesized setup, except that my OP/FP will also be catted and my Perrin catback will be resonated. Installing the first week of April. Dyno tuned on the 19th. I will probably get a video up on YouTube some point soon.

@QFry that sounds badass!
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BatStig For This Useful Post:
QFry (05-13-2014), tennisfreak (03-24-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #3992
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
The dark ceramic is just not reflecting as much light from outside. It has no effect on the conducted heat from inside the pipe. Darker colours mean less energy is being emitted.
Black objects absorb and emit more heat all else being equal. The question is weather or not the specific coating used more than compensates for this. At least that is what my physics and thermo classes said. At any rate I'm going to use one of those little laser temp gauges to measure the surface temp of my header and some nearby objects under the hood and I welcome anyone with a black coated header to do the same.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #3993
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
Black objects absorb and emit more heat all else being equal. The question is weather or not the specific coating used more than compensates for this. At least that is what my physics and thermo classes said. At any rate I'm going to use one of those little laser temp gauges to measure the surface temp of my header and some nearby objects under the hood and I welcome anyone with a black coated header to do the same.
I can only imagine that being the case for radiation type heat, rather than conducted or convection (whatever the physical vibration transfer type is called) type. The amount of under hood radiation onto the header is pretty much irrelevant, whereas the insulation properties of ceramic from hot gas conducting through the header is way more important.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #3994
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Well I think we will agree to disagree. I'm gonna get some measurements.

If the aluminum content of the coating is low enough then hopefully coated headers are cooler than uncoated. If my hunch is right they are actually hotter because this coating is for raising the temp of the header to improve flow. There are two reasons to coat stuff. To keep radiant temps down or to raise the operating temp of the item.

The insulation coatings are generally silver. The other are generally a flat/semi gloss black.

-Duke
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #3995
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well I think we will agree to disagree. I'm gonna get some measurements.

If the aluminum content of the coating is low enough then hopefully coated headers are cooler than uncoated. If my hunch is right they are actually hotter because this coating is for raising the temp of the header to improve flow. There are two reasons to coat stuff. To keep radiant temps down or to raise the operating temp of the item.

The insulation coatings are generally silver. The other are generally a flat/semi gloss black.
So which are you comparing? The coating types, or coated vs uncoated? I've heard something to the opposite, that the 'chrome' ceramic coatings are inferior to the black or white coatings, because the aluminum content that makes them silver transfers more heat through than the higher ceramic content coatings.

What you are saying doesn't really make sense, though. If a coating is keeping the inside gases hotter, it is because it is preventing heat loss from radiating, isn't it? ie less heat under hood.

On another note, I would only coat high quality headers like Nameless or JDL due to the increased temp. These guys both use high quality tubing (I know it's Rathgibson, made in America in Nameless' case) and fully back purge their welds. These are critical for longevity of high temp coated exhaust components.

On questionable Chinese '304-ish stainless stell' (sic) with oxidised burn-through at the joints, the higher temp gases from the coating can rapidly deteriorate the welds from the inside leading to cracks.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #3996
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
So which are you comparing? The coating types, or coated vs uncoated? I've heard something to the opposite, that the 'chrome' ceramic coatings are inferior to the black or white coatings, because the aluminum content that makes them silver transfers more heat through than the higher ceramic content coatings.

What you are saying doesn't really make sense, though. If a coating is keeping the inside gases hotter, it is because it is preventing heat loss from radiating, isn't it? ie less heat under hood.

On another note, I would only coat high quality headers like Nameless or JDL due to the increased temp. These guys both use high quality tubing (I know it's Rathgibson, made in America in Nameless' case) and fully back purge their welds. These are critical for longevity of high temp coated exhaust components.

On questionable Chinese '304-ish stainless stell' (sic) with oxidised burn-through at the joints, the higher temp gases from the coating can rapidly deteriorate the welds from the inside leading to cracks.
I have an uncoated nameless header. I am getting temp readings tomorrow. Why don't we just see what the results are? I'm just curious to see. I don't know one way or another which type of coating is being used. I'm also not even remotely interested in a debate. I just want data. Are the coated headers running hotter than the non coated headers? That is all I want to know.

-Duke
The Following User Says Thank You to FrsDuke For This Useful Post:
Dimman (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #3997
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I just installed mine today, found that by removing the oil dipstick the header went in a whole lot more easily. I did have to torque the flanges down to 30ft-lbs in order to get them to seat (all except for the passenger side upper nut, had to hand tighten that with a box wrench). My 2.5" OP/FP is really close to the head, but not touching.

Sounds great, a little raspy, but that happens pretty much every time you remove a cat.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #3998
slava

Drives: brZed
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Got to test this thing out today. Made the car so much funner to drive. The power boost is exactly where I needed it. Lovin this header. Best money spent!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEy0VRvfmEM"]Slava @ PPIR Practice Day 3/23/14 - YouTube[/ame]

Can't even imagine sea level power haha
slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slava For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (03-24-2014), D-VO (04-21-2014), Lawnik (03-24-2014), Pistol (03-25-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #3999
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
that is some bigass parking lot.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frslee For This Useful Post:
LPC_FRS (03-24-2014), Sirsimon (03-25-2014), Victor Draken (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #4000
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
that is some bigass parking lot.
Is that building where the final boss resides? (Nice drift)

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #4001
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
Was the butt dyno able to feel a noticeable gain by adding the header?
It definitely feels a considerably stronger than my Borla UEL.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Lawnik (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #4002
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Well using a raytek mt6 mini temp laser thermometer I measured all over the header from the runners to the collector and after an hour of driving and 10 min at idle with the hood closed I'm seeing temps from 190-240F at various places with the header surfaces closest to the intake sitting at 190-210 F. This is an uncoated nameless header. I also checked temps on the surrounding surfaces and didn't find any surface above 200F with the underside of intake bits sitting below 180F

So after sitting at idle for 10 min those are the temps I measured on an uncoated header.

Now if someone with a coated header would like to do the same that would be great and give folks an idea of what the coating is doing in terms of radiant heat.

-Duke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrsDuke For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-24-2014), Dimman (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #4003
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Well using a raytek mt6 mini temp laser thermometer I measured all over the header from the runners to the collector and after an hour of driving and 10 min at idle with the hood closed I'm seeing temps from 190-240F at various places with the header surfaces closest to the intake sitting at 190-210 F. This is an uncoated nameless header. I also checked temps on the surrounding surfaces and didn't find any surface above 200F with the underside of intake bits sitting below 180F

So after sitting at idle for 10 min those are the temps I measured on an uncoated header.

Now if someone with a coated header would like to do the same that would be great and give folks an idea of what the coating is doing in terms of radiant heat.
what would really be beneficial is if you could get someone without a header to get the same measurements to get a baseline.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #4004
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
what would really be beneficial is if you could get someone without a header to get the same measurements to get a baseline.
Having both would be ideal. I don't think anyone will be surprised if this header is a bit of a heater compared to stock. What would be surprising is if the coated headers were worse for under hood temps than the uncoated which is my suspicion. I would rather be wrong on this, but that is my concern.

Also on the stock header configuration the header is much much further away from any components that concern people.

-Duke

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag