follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I have Word and Excel on my Mac
Yes, but is it the Windows version running on Mac OS?

I think the Windows analogy does hold up though. To me, basically its the same as taking the OS boot drive out of a workstation running an Intel processor and putting it in a computer that is running an AMD processor. Windows is smart enough to say "Hey, you've changed engines (processors) so I'll reconfigure myself. Oh the video is different, and so are some other components, OK here you go.".

It won't be optimized but it will run with some basic drivers, etc enough to start up.

Now, Windows also has a multi-billion $ valued install base so they have the cash to be able to support that type of development and it can cost $100 or less per install.

Now, imagine that over the entire world the population of users for Windows was less than 1000 computers. The R&D still costs the same, more or less so the cost of Windows has now gone up stratospherically. That is what you are dealing with CANBUS coversions I would think.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yes, but is it the Windows version running on Mac OS?

I think the Windows analogy does hold up though. To me, basically its the same as taking the OS boot drive out of a workstation running an Intel processor and putting it in a computer that is running an AMD processor. Windows is smart enough to say "Hey, you've changed engines (processors) so I'll reconfigure myself. Oh the video is different, and so are some other components, OK here you go.".

It won't be optimized but it will run with some basic drivers, etc enough to start up.

Now, Windows also has a multi-billion $ valued install base so they have the cash to be able to support that type of development and it can cost $100 or less per install.

Now, imagine that over the entire world the population of users for Windows was less than 1000 computers. The R&D still costs the same, more or less so the cost of Windows has now gone up stratospherically. That is what you are dealing with CANBUS coversions I would think.
I’ve run them both. Bootcamp or virtual machine using Windows and wine bottler using MacOS.
Dadhawk (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #17
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNewb View Post

Why isn't it like how Microsoft has standards. You can successfully run a piece of software written in 1995 on windows 10.

I just dont understand it.
You can't even get software specifically written for windows 10 to always work.

I think it is because they think you are too stupid. They think you will swap engines, plug it in, blow everything up, and sue them all. And they want you to not do that, so they make sure only the people who are smart enough to understand it is all on their own choices can afford it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote