follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #3305
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0sAgxe9G4Y[/ame]
Old 07-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #3306
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I'm just glad Toyota is offering something enjoyable to drive at this price point. I'm always down for more lightweight RWD Japanese sports cars regardless of transmission options.
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
spike021 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #3307
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
The A90 being supposedly the Toyota sports flagship means they have something to prove against the likes of the R35 GTR and such, and needs to chase after numbers being late to the game. The GTR wasn't 6 figures when it first came out. The Toyota brand has to communicate "value" as they have Lexus when it comes to high price.

well they haven't benchmarked a R35 or NSX in any of their public tests, and the recent announcement infers torque will be at most 400 with most rumors having HP around 350....on paper I'm not sure how the Supra would be able to prove anything with them. The R35 was underpriced when it came out, not the fairest thing to compare with
Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 AM   #3308
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OYYZlopRpA[/ame]
Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #3309
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
well they haven't benchmarked a R35 or NSX in any of their public tests, and the recent announcement infers torque will be at most 400 with most rumors having HP around 350....on paper I'm not sure how the Supra would be able to prove anything with them. The R35 was underpriced when it came out, not the fairest thing to compare with
Well Nissan/Renault made their fortunes selling high volume cheap cars so they priced their R35 the way they did initially cuz they could afford to. For Toyota being the largest in the world even more so in terms of pricing without being a loss leader (think very efficient R&D process which has lower cost).

Why the R35 and new NSX are priced the way they are now imo is because they want their target customers to take them more seriously.

Toyota didn't benchmark these two cars probably because neither of them is lightweight and "fun to drive". To the Japanese "balanced" means every aspect of the car working in synergy and not just focusing solely on one thing like engine output numbers and then compensate with the rest, as that would ruin the overall handling.

To me these days Nissan is a French car maker and Honda is American.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #3310
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
You also forgot that manuals are lighter (important on this car with the weight up front)
Easier to repair (usually only need a new clutch,TOB,Flywheel)
Less complicated, cheaper to repair
In the 50 plus cars I've owned over the years, I've never had to repair an automatic but have replaced a bunch of clutches....

In regard to weight, some experts here should weigh in but with other sports cars I've owned, if you add the MT and clutch together including pedal assembly/linkage and shift linkage, it came pretty close to the weight of a modern automatic. Years ago, there was a big difference, but not today.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #3311
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Toyota didn't benchmark these two cars probably because neither of them is lightweight and "fun to drive". To the Japanese "balanced" means every aspect of the car working in synergy and not just focusing solely on one thing like engine output numbers and then compensate with the rest, as that would ruin the overall handling.
I get that, but then it goes back to the original question of why isn't the manual a guarantee here if "fun to drive"/chassis sitffness/CoG are once again their goals with this Supra?
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #3312
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_kar View Post
Lol this car is going to be a monster guys. The engine isn't some off the shelf unit. Yes it will be twice the price of an 86, but it'll have twice the horsepower with minimal weight penalty. I have faith in Toyota on this one, they know how to make a fun car.
Huh? This engine is basically off the shelf.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #3313
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
I get that, but then it goes back to the original question of why isn't the manual a guarantee here if "fun to drive"/chassis sitffness/CoG are once again their goals with this Supra?
This begs the question of what is "fun to drive"? Society is changing. People like the automation of smartphones -- they don't want to use a dial phone anymore, or even a flip phone without a touch screen. Today's cars have more stuff going on with phones, messaging, music. Cities are getting more crowded so driving a stick in stop and go traffic is not fun. While this is going on, automatics are getting more advanced with more speeds than manuals, quicker shifting, extra modes like sport, eco, and launch. Automatics get better mileage so you have fewer trips to the gas station. As cars get more hp, you don't need a stick to go really fast. As you go faster than ever before, it is more important to focus on the road than on shifting. If the 86 had 600 hp, your enjoyment would be going really fast and not necessarily shifting.

I get it. You are more connected with the car and the road with a manual and stiffer suspension. But "fun to drive" is more than just shifting and being uncomfortable in your seat. Times are changing and so is the definition of "fun to drive". If you look at the future, as car designers do, then you can certainly have a really fun to drive car with an automatic.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #3314
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Even if it was identical to a B58, it has been confirmed to have an iron/CGI block. So no, it's not off shelf.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #3315
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
Even if it was identical to a B58, it has been confirmed to have an iron/CGI block. So no, it's not off shelf.

What? No way. There's no way they can afford the weight of an iron block. BMW hasn't made one in 10 years, 3 engine generations ago.

I'm being this thing will have an aluminum block with steel sleeves, like all the other BMW motors.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #3316
drew_kar

Drives: WRB Brz / SR S14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The MKVSupra forums have pointed in a different direction. The block has been rumored to be an iron block varient of the B series engine with a custom toyota (read: Yamaha engineers) head. It's been mentioned numerous times in the forum, however, largely unknown to the public. I guess we will see for sure with the release of the car !

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to drew_kar For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #3317
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
What? No way. There's no way they can afford the weight of an iron block. BMW hasn't made one in 10 years, 3 engine generations ago.

I'm being this thing will have an aluminum block with steel sleeves, like all the other BMW motors.
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/mkv...uestions.1341/

Quote:
Is the motor an off-the-shelf BMW unit?
We currently have no concrete evidence for or against this.

Current Speculation:
As far as the information we have gathered, no. This is a newly developed motor that is being co-developed by Toyota and BMW. Current info says that it is loosely based off B58 architecture, but using cast iron (CGI) for the block in order to achieve high strength levels. Additionally, the head is all-new for this motor. This information, however, has not been confirmed.
I stand corrected, it has not been confirmed but probably very likely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-30-2018), Yoshoobaroo (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #3318
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Moto said it’s a new motor.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose