follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Eureka

Drives: None... yet!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyobaru Vs. Volkswagen GTi?

Tbh, I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet (at least to my knowledge, I have tried searching). But specwise, aren't these two cars pretty similar?
Both have compact size, relatively low weight (GTi a bit heavier at 3000lb but makes up for it with 207lb/ft of torque), both in the 200hp range. Now before you guys point out the obvious, I know I know. Gti is FWD, hatchback, and FI. But nonetheless, the price point of it puts it in the FRS/BRZ category. So what do you guys think about the GTi? Worthy competitor or just another overweight turbocharged hot hatch?

On a side note, I drove the hyundai GC, 2.0t today and the GTi as well. The GC felt terribly stiff, with really heavy steering and delayed throttle response. It just didn't felt as fast as it looked. On the other hand, the GTi performed like a champ. lol but seriously, I drove the DSG version (flameshield on s and it's a great little car. Handles well, eager to rev, and DSG is lightning fast and smooth. I think it might be the lower weight of the GTi, but FWD didn't feel all that bad to me, compared to the GC anyways. So that's my opinion of both cars, let me know what you guys think.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
I have a GTI, it has a lot of body roll in the corners and there is tons of wheel hop in first and second gear if you try to use power in a turn. It's ok I guess, not a sports car but a sporty hatch.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Scottyscooter

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT, Toyota Celica GTS
As you have already mentioned, FWD vs RWD is the single largest identifiable difference between these two cars.

In my opinion, you simply can not compare a FWD car to a RWD car. FWD cars can be extremely fast and capable cars, but they will never truly be sports cars. Push the limits in the GTI and you will find yourself fighting under-steer and torque-steer. Push the limits in the Toyobaru and you will learn what a sports car is...
Scottyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottyscooter For This Useful Post:
cleethree (04-29-2012)
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
it really depends on what you want to do with the car

some people here are gonna drift the car and well FWD + drift = fail

FWD can be lighting fast but they rarely ever give off that sporty driving feel to me (ITR excluded)
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Not comparable cars. GTI is going to be nicer, and more practical. The coupe will be more pure a driving experience, and handle better.
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
A comparable car would be MINI Coupe S 2 seater or even the Cooper S. Don't let the 180hp and fwd fool you. At WOT it hits like 205 tq with overboost at 1600rpm holding off til like 4500rpm where HP takes over. The are fast cars that handle beautifully. *Note I'm biased having owned 2 MINIs and still currently own one..

I'd also like to mention that a perfect new compact car garage would be Lotus Elise, BRZ/FRS and MINI Coupe S.. all that is missing from this equation is a new awd, lightweight, turbo car.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Are they designed to do the same thing? No. Are people going to cross shop them? Yes.

A lot of people will be using their FR-Ss and BRZs as street cars. They're similarly sporting and similarly priced, offering similar options. They just balance priorities differently. The Toyobaru chooses sportiness at the expense of practicality, the GTI the inverse. Someone looking for a fun, engaging, daily driver really should consider both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
A comparable car would be MINI Coupe S 2 seater or even the Cooper S. Don't let the 180hp and fwd fool you. At WOT it hits like 205 tq with overboost at 1600rpm holding off til like 4500rpm where HP takes over. The are fast cars that handle beautifully. *Note I'm biased having owned 2 MINIs and still currently own one..

I'd also like to mention that a perfect new compact car garage would be Lotus Elise, BRZ/FRS and MINI Coupe S.. all that is missing from this equation is a new awd, lightweight, turbo car.
Ummmmm, WRX or STI? Evo?

The issue with the new turbo Cooper S is the same HPFP issue that BMW had with the 3.0 turbo motors. They malfunctioned at a staggering rate. BMW issued a recall. MINI did not. My friend had a turbo Cooper S when warranty expired. He dumped it 10 months later because of the HPFP issue.

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 12-07-2011 at 12:47 AM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyscooter View Post
Push the limits in the Toyobaru and you will learn what a sports car is...
Ass backwards on the side of the road?

I really liked the new Mini Coupe until I saw the price. It's not awful, just a bit more than I expected. I think I'd rather have the 500 Abarth with the Esseesse package. Or if we're jumping up to the JCW, I'd rather have a Golf R.

I loved my MKV GTI. It was a nice sporty car with an amazing interior for the price. Not really a sports car, but enough pep to get out of its own way.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #9
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think some people will cross shop against FWDs, but a Golf? Do you guys get the Renault Megane Trophee over there?

Yes, you wouldn't consider a Golf over a Mini, but you'd also not consider a Mini over the Megane.

That's not dissing the Mini as I've been involved in campaigning them, the Renault is just that good.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
I think some people will cross shop against FWDs, but a Golf? Do you guys get the Renault Megane Trophee over there?

Yes, you wouldn't consider a Golf over a Mini, but you'd also not consider a Mini over the Megane.

That's not dissing the Mini as I've been involved in campaigning them, the Renault is just that good.
we dont get any renaults over here
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post

Ummmmm, WRX or STI? Evo?

The issue with the new turbo Cooper S is the same HPFP issue that BMW had with the 3.0 turbo motors. They malfunctioned at a staggering rate. BMW issued a recall. MINI did not. My friend had a turbo Cooper S when warranty expired. He dumped it 10 months later because of the HPFP issue.
Can't compare pigs to compacts.

About the MINIs
New Late 2010 and 2011+ N18 motors are better in terms of reliability and power. The old 07-10 N14 were somewhat grenades if not maintained properly.. basically beyond manufacturer's intervals

Also the HPFP is not a wide spread issue as much, BUT it's guaranteed and warrantied until 110k miles/unlimited years after all warranties are already exhausted, the part and labor is covered still. IF it dies at 109k, it's replaced and it has a 2 year warranty thereafter on part and labor. That's how MINIUSA rolls, and that's why I still own one.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #12
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
we dont get any renaults over here

I'd rather have a Scirocco R in the states over a Megane Trophy
Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
[QUOTE=Scottyscooter;92426]As you have already mentioned, FWD vs RWD is the single largest identifiable difference between these two cars.
QUOTE]

Height is also very different between these two cars. Golf is high as hell.
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Ice_Man

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Ice_Man
no way gti never in my life!!
every sucker in germany has a gti

i love the understanding of performance of the GT 86 not only the power but also lightweight an the most important, its a car not everyone knows what it can do in the corner;-)
Ice_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gti