follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #43
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
There are 45 years between the 2000GT and the 86, and yet there ARE stylistic similarities. That's because the 86 was designed to look like an updated 2000GT. It was never designed with the AE86 in mind at all. That was just marketing bullshit.

Yeah! Both cars are white, two-door, and nobody can deny that they both have four wheels!
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #44
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
So... going by your need to tie styling cues
I didn't say that.

Quote:
exact same type of motors
That either.

Quote:
what styling cues carried over from the Celica to the tC
Nor that.

Quote:
to make it the spiritual successor the people who made the cars claim it to be?
That neither.

Quote:
They didn't share motors, tCs had Camry power.
I didn't say they did.

Quote:
Sports 800 was small, lightweight, FR, powered by a flat engine, and derived from a rather pedestrian common car in the Publica. But I guess it's not a real sports car because it and its powerplant were derived from an economy car, right?
I didn't say that either. "Derived from" is not the same thing as taking the same car and just slapping a body kit, a turbo and some big brakes on it and trying to pretend it's a sports car.

Quote:
Toyota was just lying to us about this being their first real sports car because they hadn't built the Mustang-style-stealing Celica GT just yet.
Who said that? Not me.

Quote:
But there's your flat engine in Toyota's history.
I didn't say anything about "Toyota's history." I said the AE86 has nothing to do with the current 86, beyond maybe that they're both cars. "OMG, they both have wheels! They must be spiritual successors!"

Quote:
The 2000GT, as its name implies, was meant to be a grand touring car. That means power and comfort above sheer handling prowess, because you need to be able to control the car in virtually any sort of road conditions you'll find on your long road trip...you're touring, after all, which was a luxury aspect of car pwenrship when it was en vogue. Purpose-built sports cars don't make very good touring cars since better handling tends to trump comfort, by design. Not so great for long trips across all sorts of imperfect roads.
And yet it still has more in common with the current 86 than the AE86 econobox.

To be clear, I'm not even trying to claim the 86 is related more than superficially to the 2000GT. What I meant to convey was that it has more of a relationship to that car than to the AE86, and since the 2000GT isn't really considered its predecessor, the AE86 has even less (or rather, no) claim to that title. The marketing people made it up in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Initial D.

Fanboys will believe anything.

Quote:
So I guess that makes the 2000GT, by definition, also not a sports car.
"Things I didn't say for $800, Alex."

Quote:
And even if I can concede that the RWD, why-bother-offering-an-LSD-option-for-this-non-sports car Corolla/Sprinter can be considered not a sports car depending on who you ask, since the other two aren't either according to your rules,
Not according to any rules of mine. You're well into making up your own bullshit at this point.

Quote:
where's the spiritual succession in any of it using your criteria?
I don't know. Maybe there isn't one.

But I know where it's not, and that's between the AE86 and the 86.

Quote:
Toyota just pulled a sports car design out of nowhere, calling upon none of their recent history at all, right?
I dunno. This is your fiction at this point. It's way beyond anything I've said.

Quote:
That Corolla was just their last light RWD platform, so we can't possibly show any relation when it doesn't even have today's equivalent of the 4A engine in it. Is that engine only relevant when placed in an MR2?
"What is, 'Things I didn't say?'"

"Correct!"

"Staying with 'Things I didn't say for $1000,' Alex."

Quote:
Spiritual succession means it's obviously not going to be the resurrection of the exact same thing, but is designed in the (gasp!) spirit of the thing(s) from which it's derived, with each having something to offer to the whole package. I don't think most folks have any disillusions when it comes to that term. That's how spiritual succession works for the rest of the world.
The 86 is not derived from the AE86 in any sense of that word. The rest of that paragraph falls apart into irrelevance.

Quote:
It's not all just marketing BS. It's taking the good stuff from your history and putting it together to make something that hopefully rings true with those who knew those cars when they were new and the best thing going, and can make those who never had the pleasure appreciate what the successor can give them an idea of. It's what every company does with any car they make (ideally and hopefully). Take the good, toss the bad, and maybe try something new along with it.
Yet another straw man. Nowhere did I say they weren't drawing on their general history of building automobiles. It's the forced, artificial connection to the AE86 that is most definitely marketing bullshit.

You've had to work extra hard building straw men for this thread. You should change your screen name to Scarecrow.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #45
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
There's no marketing of it as a successor to the 2000GT, because nobody even knows what that is.
Sorry, but I can't let this one past, and I wish I'd spotted it before I typed out that grocery shopping receipt of a post so I could one-liner it here.

I guess those lil guys in the bottom right corner of the pages of the Scion brochure, especially that one in the middle, don't qualify as being a part of the marketing?
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #46
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Damn, who needs LM?
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #47
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess those lil guys in the bottom right corner of the pages of the Scion brochure, especially that one in the middle, don't qualify as being a part of the marketing?
Okay, I'll concede the point. Please try not to disturb the neighbors with your celebration.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:33 PM   #48
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky
I didn't say that.
Ok, I'll try to be a little more careful this time. Multi-quoting on a phone screen was not gonna be a good time, so I didn't even attempt it. In other cases, clearly you didn't say some things, I wasn't trying to say you did, and some sarcasm in text failed.

Quote:
The current 86 shares almost nothing in common with the AE86. These two cars share no styling cues. They share no distinctive engineering concepts. They don't even share the same type of motor.
You did say this, right?

Brought up styling cues, motor, and a lack of commonality after saying the former wasn't the latter's spiritual successor. Are we not supposed to see that as what you believe makes one car a successor to another? Distinct commonality? My question to you was, based on that, what makes the tC (according to Toyota) the spiritual successor to the Celica? If not those things, then what? It can't really be a successor if there's nothing in common beyond the brand name, so there has to be something beyond what makes a car a car. In the case of the old Corolla, it was an affordable, sporty, and easily modified car, some of the same things touted about the 86. Yes, we're talking an economy car of the day, but are those things untrue about it? I'm not going to stretch and try to call those common engineering concepts, but even if it wasn't marketed that way in its heyday, neither were the cars that met the same criteria and eventually got automakers to start modding chassis and producing muscle and pony cars in the U.S. GM may not choose to trace these roots, but what became the eventual stand-alone GTO started out as a vanilla Pontiac Tempest with a chunky inline-4 as its base engine.

Quote:
If it's the spiritual successor of anything, it's the 2000GT. But since nobody remembered what that was, Toyota's brand managers used the artificial AE86 marketing nonsense to sucker in Initial D fanboys gullible enough to believe it.
Just because of a few styling cues, though? Nothing else? Not disqualified because they don't use the same type of motor either?

At this point it's looking like the ol' Sports 800 is coming out ahead by having at least the type of engine and some styling in common with the 86. Not a quote, an observation.

Quote:
The AE86 was not designed to be a sports car and was never marketed as such. It was an econobox intended to be a "sporty," practical commuter to sell in large quantities to young people in need of cheap, reliable transportation.
To that I'll definitely have to agree, much to some of my younger friend's annoyance (there's Koolaid involved there). But it did gain a following (maybe just not much in the U.S. mainland pre-Initial D) when it was a current car as a capable car for motorsport, so it would be rather foolish of Toyota to not acknowledge that it became a sporting icon (even if it wasn't intentional) even well before the Initial D craze, and to not capitalize on both of those followings. There are folks out there, peers of yours at least in age, who did make something out of those cars back then or it wouldn't have kept getting run in races well past its production time and have the following it does around the world. Initial D had nothing to do with that, and if anything Initial D was brought on by the unplanned successes of that car. Is there a marketing ploy for the unknowing fanboys? Of course, but that's not the only thing the car has going for it. Cheap, sporty, and easily modded, right?

Miatas weren't seen as true sports cars either, at least not around here, though as you later said they were designed from the ground up to be nothing else, and it still took a long while for them to partially lose the same sort of hairdresser/daughter's car labeling and be appreciated as a bona fide sports car.

Quote:
Among the real sports cars out cruising, nobody looked twice at an AE86. It was basically a girl's car, what daddies bought their daughters to have practical, reliable transportation to use to go off to college.
I mean, you did say that, right?

Quote:
In contrast, there was no base, non-sports version of the .... Miata .... These cars were designed to be sports cars from conception to production, not to be a "sporty" version of a multi-vehicle platform.
And that?

Does that mean this is the only way a sports car can be considered a sports car? It has to just arrive and not come from some potentially humble beginnings? (Not quoting you here, I'm asking questions). This is also not true of the MR2 despite its inclusion in your list. The conceptual focus was on an enjoyable drive and good fuel economy...rather Miata-ish/CRX thinking ironically. Turning it into a sports car came along in the process, but it didn't start out that way. It could have very well turned out differently, and the MR2 would be another vanilla economy car from Toyota with great gas mileage that we all forgot about...or gotten a really late start on turning into something sporty instead of showing up from year one sporty.

Quote:
You can't take an economy car, slap some go-fast parts on it and pretend it's a sports car.... They're just dressed up commuters.
Isn't that exactly what happened to create the first Skyline GT-Rs something like 45, almost 50 years ago? They literally took what started as a luxury commuter car and turned it into something that's now, for better or worse, a household name in Japanese performance cars and motorsport. Much like Pontiac Tempest ----> GTO.

Quote:
"Oh look! A sports car!"

NOPE.
Just had to say this was good for a chuckle. But hey, by definition, if it's got 2 seats and 2 doors, it can be considered a sports car. May not be small, and may not be very nimble from the looks of it (who knows, could be), but it fits the definition otherwise. Looks like fun either way.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #49
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Okay, I'll concede the point. Please try not to disturb the neighbors with your celebration.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #50
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The Scion tC was the Celica. tC stands for Toyota Celica. lol
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #51
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
It actually stands for touring coupe according to Toyota. I don't think that's very fitting, especially if it's supposed to carry on for the Celica, but it's what they decided to go with.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #52
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Holy that multi-quote, you need to relax bro, current 86 is derived from AE86, like just look at initial D and tell me you don't want to run in the 90's

Quote:
I didn't say that.

That either.

Nor that.

That neither.

I didn't say they did.

I didn't say that either. "Derived from" is not the same thing as taking the same car and just slapping a body kit, a turbo and some big brakes on it and trying to pretend it's a sports car.

Who said that? Not me.

I didn't say anything about "Toyota's history." I said the AE86 has nothing to do with the current 86, beyond maybe that they're both cars. "OMG, they both have wheels! They must be spiritual successors!"

And yet it still has more in common with the current 86 than the AE86 econobox.

To be clear, I'm not even trying to claim the 86 is related more than superficially to the 2000GT. What I meant to convey was that it has more of a relationship to that car than to the AE86, and since the 2000GT isn't really considered its predecessor, the AE86 has even less (or rather, no) claim to that title. The marketing people made it up in an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Initial D.

Fanboys will believe anything.

"Things I didn't say for $800, Alex."

Not according to any rules of mine. You're well into making up your own bullshit at this point.

I don't know. Maybe there isn't one.

But I know where it's not, and that's between the AE86 and the 86.

I dunno. This is your fiction at this point. It's way beyond anything I've said.

"What is, 'Things I didn't say?'"

"Correct!"

"Staying with 'Things I didn't say for $1000,' Alex."

The 86 is not derived from the AE86 in any sense of that word. The rest of that paragraph falls apart into irrelevance.

Yet another straw man. Nowhere did I say they weren't drawing on their general history of building automobiles. It's the forced, artificial connection to the AE86 that is most definitely marketing bullshit.

You've had to work extra hard building straw men for this thread. You should change your screen name to Scarecrow.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #53
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,200 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Wait. Wat?

It's got the same damn dash clock. Look! Right there!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #54
Is Always Angry

Drives: Low and Slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Fight! Fight! Fight!

Let's meet behind the cafeteria after 5th period!
Is Always Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #55
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sorry, but I can't let this one past, and I wish I'd spotted it before I typed out that grocery shopping receipt of a post so I could one-liner it here.

*Can't let this one pass

It reads better.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #56
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Haha, well from one grammar nazi to another, fair enough.