follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
HoustonM

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT Ghost Cam

Has anyone ever figured out the "ghost cam" found few post but lots of dead ends..

I'm interested in a cyclic/rotational idle or ghost cam ideas.

Any parameters?

Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HoustonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So.... you want your car to sound like you have a set of cams without any performance increase.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #3
HoustonM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
So.... you want your car to sound like you have a set of cams without any performance increase.

Wrong sir, on the 5.0 it's been proven for added low down torque, from friends with coyotes

Old 12-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonM View Post
Has anyone ever figured out the "ghost cam" found few post but lots of dead ends..

I'm interested in a cyclic/rotational idle or ghost cam ideas.

Any parameters?

Thanks for any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Quote:
Wrong sir, on the 5.0 it's been proven for added low down torque, from friends with coyotes

First off I'm really well versed in the coyote engine department as I have 2 good friends with 2011 and a 2013 GT. They both have a boss 302 intake manifold, intake, and a bama 93 tune. One has suspension mods. Bama writes the ghost cam tune but seriously recommend you have a mid pipe or more to the exhaust, that's probably what's giving them there "added low down torque" not only that you get slightly worse gas mileage from the ghost cam and the mid pipe is necessary because they basically just take advantage of the VVT on the coyote motor. How? They're just making it over lap the exhaust and intake valves and making the engine run richer when idling so it emulates having a hotter cam. The lope will immediately go away when you touch the throttle so the car doesn't stall or become way too rich on throttle.

TLDR: All it's doing is tricking the car into dumping excess fuel, adjusting the timing and the lift electronically to simulate the cam lope. The crap they spew about low down torque and stuff is just a marketing ploy to get you into the bama tune and your friends probably believe it

@steve99 can probably elaborate he's well versed with this stuff
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 12-26-2015 at 10:09 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (12-26-2015), wparsons (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
HoustonM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
First off I'm really well versed in the coyote engine department as I have 2 good friends with 2011 and a 2013 GT. They both have a boss 302 intake manifold, intake, and a bama 93 tune. One has suspension mods. Bama writes the ghost cam tune but seriously recommend you have a mid pipe or more to the exhaust, that's probably what's giving them there "added low down torque" not only that you get shit gas mileage from the ghost cam and the mid pipe is necessary because they basically just take advantage of the VVT on the coyote motor making it over lap the exhaust and intake valves and making the engine run richer when idling so it emulates having a hotter cam. The lope will immediately go away when you touch the throttle so the car doesn't stall or become way too rich on throttle.

TLDR: All it's doing is tricking the car into dumping excess fuel, adjusting the timing and the lift electronically to simulate the cam lope. The crap they spew about low down torque and stuff is just a marketing ploy to get you into the bama tune and your friends probably believe it

@steve99 can probably elaborate he's a tuner guy

Thanks for input! Very well appreciated, maybe he will chime in.

And I bet your right about torque

Old 12-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for input! Very well appreciated, maybe he will chime in.

And I bet your right about torque

No problem and I edited it with some less nsfw language, personally I've edited my tune specifically so it's quieter on idle because of this exhaust and steve helped me check my work. The easiest way to do anything yourself would be get an OFT and romraider.

Also if I had an extra 5-10 grand when I was choosing this car I would've totally sprung for a coyote powered stang maybe even waited a year for one with the IRS, bama tune and exhaust really livens the coyote up alot. It's way easier to make power on those cars for cheaper than our cars that's for sure
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
HoustonM

My OFT be here next week, I already went ahead and installed rom raider, and the manager for OFT

Old 12-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Ok , im not a tuner :-)

AFAIK the vvt cam phasers on our engines are inactive at idle ie they sit at zero offset.

This is probably in the ecu code and probably because their is insuffient oil pressure to drive the actuators reliably.

I am not familiar with the coyote engines or ghost camms, but i would suspect they have deliberatly set up the cam phasing at idle\rest position to produce the lumpy idle.

This would not be possible in our engine unless you physically adjusted the idle\rest cam phasing, which is then going to throw out the rest of the phasing ie you have to account for the offset you physically put in at idle, how you would achieve the physical offset would be another problem unless you reground cams or just jumped a tooth on the timing chains.

I doubt you could achive the lumpy idle effect without that , ie just with fueling or timing, and their is a heap of tables that adjust idle parameters, and probably a lot of ecu logic that not known in the idle area.

even then its never going to sound like a V8 :-)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
gt7877 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
With ecutek you can do ghost cam easily
With custom maps, you overrides the 0 at idle and put like 19 or 20 to both cams and it will start the lumpy idle

that is for saying... that you seem like quite a enthusiast... you should think about upgrading to ecutek with racerom access

Last edited by tomm.brz; 11-13-2019 at 04:03 AM.
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
gt7877 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 04:53 AM   #10
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Contact a guy called @aagun on this firum he has coded the ghost cam effect on non ecutek roms, he will likey want a donation though for his work
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #11
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Lower the idle to about 400RPM. It'll run rough and sound like it's having a hard time keeping itself idling. Ghostcam.jpg
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
toast (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #12
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Lower the idle to about 400RPM. It'll run rough and sound like it's having a hard time keeping itself idling. Ghostcam.jpg
Not so funny
also it would lower the oil pressure too much, it won t even activate properly the vvt

best and quickest way to ghost cam is with ecutek, and actually rise the idle to at least 950rpm to have it sound good

prepare also to consume a good 30% more fuel during idle
Old 11-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
tomm.brz

@Rezi
you asked me how to get it in ecutek

i took a stock map as example, if you want ghost cam in Map 4 you do something like this:

there is a little bug that after the engine is started and you enable it, only exhhaust cam go to retarded value
but then you just have to touch the throttle even minimally and also the intake cam will advance and creates more overlap

also raise idle to at least 900-950 and play with idle timings if necessary
do this by yourself, i won't take any responsability
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
gt7877 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #14
gt7877

Drives: turbo frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
But this tune is it effects oil pressure ??
This can coze crankshaft engine damge after some time

Correct me if I'm wrong�
gt7877 is offline   Reply With Quote