follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I was hoping someone would catch it!!

Tcoat you never disappoint me!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #30
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry. That's an octothorpe #

This is a splat *
or an asshole (*) per Vonnegut.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
bababooey (05-23-2018), pcguru2000 (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru2000 View Post
Dude, you might want to check your misconceptions with wikipedia first. A simple check of wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake would have explained that it's also CALLED AND USED AS AN EMERGENCY BRAKE.
In road vehicles, the parking brake, also called[1] hand brake, emergency brake, or e-brake, is used to keep the vehicle stationary and in many cases also perform an emergency stop. Parking brakes on older vehicles often consist of a cable connected to two wheel brakes at one end and the other end to a pulling mechanism which is operated with the driver's hand or foot. The mechanism may be a hand-operated lever, at floor level beside the driver, or a straight pull handle located near the steering column, or a (foot-operated) pedal located beside the drivers leg.

I had a brake failure happen to me and drove the car about 20 miles on just downshifting my cvt and using the parking brake. Was the brake as effective as the regular brakes. Heck no. Was it scary when people would change lanes in front of me yes

Beat me to it!

Pretty soon we'll have to explain to the young ones what a dial tone is and that it's still okay to say that # is the pound sign.
Wiki is not always right. The reason it got a nickname as ebrake is because it is mechanically connected to the brakes. And could be deployed instantly. These days cars are becoming equiped with electronic "E BRAKES" (lmao) which makes them not e brakes anymore. And truly and ONLY parking brakes. Try pulling your electronic E BRAKE YO and see what happens.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #32
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I had a brake failure happen to me and drove the car about 20 miles on just downshifting my cvt and using the parking brake. Was the brake as effective as the regular brakes. Heck no. Was it scary when people would change lanes in front of me yes
How does one downshift a CVT? They dont have "gears", so can you do anything other than just keep you foot off the gas let the speed drop on its own with engine braking?
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #33
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
How does one downshift a CVT? They dont have "gears", so can you do anything other than just keep you foot off the gas let the speed drop on its own with engine braking?
Many CVTs are programmed to mimic a standard transmission, with stepped ratios, and most of them also have a manual mode that allows you to use paddle shifters to shift between preset ratios. The new Subaru Aspen, for example, operates this way.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Many CVTs are programmed to mimic a standard transmission, with stepped ratios, and most of them also have a manual mode that allows you to use paddle shifters to shift between preset ratios. The new Subaru Aspen, for example, operates this way.
So does the new Impreza. I was actually really impressed with how they simulate shifts since one of the things that freaked me out with CVTs was the steady power band. "SHIFT DAMNIT SHIFT Don't just go steadily faster it isn't natural"
Icecreamtruk (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #35
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So does the new Impreza. I was actually really impressed with how they simulate shifts since one of the things that freaked me out with CVTs was the steady power band. "SHIFT DAMNIT SHIFT Don't just go steadily faster it isn't natural"
Yeah, I was in one of the older Crosstreks with the CVT that did normal CVT stuff, and it definitely made me uncomfortable when it revved up to like 6k and just STAYED there the entire time. Like I understood that was where the power was, and it made sense for it to sit there, but it was still awkward, and made it feel like I was beating on the engine, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #36
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Now, about what that stick coming up from the floor is called ……. to me it will always be an "emergency brake".

Why?

I reckon it goes back to my younger days of driving our old Ford farm truck. Heading to town to the grain elevator with a full load of grain, driving a truck with mechanical brakes, and you go to apply the brakes and the pedal goes straight to the floor ….. no sense in trying the second time …… because if a clevis in the cable system came lose … that was it.

Yep, after you have downshifted to the lowest gear you could get into …… and you're still moving forward ……. what do you grab for ……. nope, not the "parking brake" …… you grab and pull hard on the EMERGENCY brake …….

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #37
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Now, about what that stick coming up from the floor is called ……. to me it will always be an "emergency brake".

Why?

I reckon it goes back to my younger days of driving our old Ford farm truck. Heading to town to the grain elevator with a full load of grain, driving a truck with mechanical brakes, and you go to apply the brakes and the pedal goes straight to the floor ….. no sense in trying the second time …… because if a clevis in the cable system came lose … that was it.

Yep, after you have downshifted to the lowest gear you could get into …… and you're still moving forward ……. what do you grab for ……. nope, not the "parking brake" …… you grab and pull hard on the EMERGENCY brake …….
I call it a parking brake, or a handbrake, because I use it every time I park my car/truck/bus (the way you're supposed to). Which is about 1 bazillion times more often than I use it because of brake failure. So... the vast majority of the time, it's being used as a parking brake, though you could argue that the parking brake, used as such, is also an emergency brake of sorts, depending on the parking situation.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 05-23-2018 at 02:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-23-2018), HunterGreene (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #38
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Dude, you might want to check your misconceptions with wikipedia first. A simple check of wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake would have explained that it's also CALLED AND USED AS AN EMERGENCY BRAKE.
In road vehicles, the parking brake, also called[1] hand brake, emergency brake, or e-brake, is used to keep the vehicle stationary and in many cases also perform an emergency stop. Parking brakes on older vehicles often consist of a cable connected to two wheel brakes at one end and the other end to a pulling mechanism which is operated with the driver's hand or foot. The mechanism may be a hand-operated lever, at floor level beside the driver, or a straight pull handle located near the steering column, or a (foot-operated) pedal located beside the drivers leg.

Pretty soon we'll have to explain to the young ones what a dial tone is and that it's still okay to say that # is the pound sign.

Anecdotally, there are names for it, based on previous use. But what is it designed for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Anecdotally, there are names for it, based on previous use. But what is it designed for?
To stop your car in the event of an emergency brake failure and to park.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #40
humfrz

Quote:

Maybe you had a high end car in the 80's and early 90's. But not all cars got DRL's till 1995.
It might have been different in Canada …..

humfrz
Old 05-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #41
Tcoat

Quote:
If you bypass the auto setting and use the full light setting, you can still use the parking brake and it won't affect the lights I think. The bad side is that the car won't auto shut off the lights if it's not on auto, when exiting the car. (I believe).

My old Mitsubishi did not have an "auto" setting so you would just leave the light switch to on all the time and it would auto shut off as soon as you pulled the key out and opened the door. Come to think of it, I don't think I have used the DRL's. I always left my lights in the on position(so I wouldn't have to remember to turn them on at night), so you may be partially correct.

Maybe you had a high end car in the 80's and early 90's. But not all cars got DRL's till 1995. Even back in 2000 not a lot of people had brand new 2000+ year cars and there were a lot of cars without any DRL's. What made me remember this is the Tom Leykis flash Fridays where from 3pm-6PM PST, if you had your lights on, girls listening to the show would flash their lady lumps at the guys with their lights on. In about 2003 or so, the DRL's on 2000+ cars were now the majority of cars and flash Fridays sadly ended.

From wikipedia:
"General Motors immediately equipped most (and, in following years, all) of its vehicles with DRLs beginning with the Chevrolet Corsica. Saab, Volkswagen, Volvo, Suzuki and Subaru gradually introduced DRLs in the U.S. market beginning in 1995."

Thanks for posting this. I did check the manual and you are correct. I consider the manual like a collectible comic, I like to leave it in the shrink wrap and not open them.

There is no "I think" involved here. The Parking brake ONLY turns off the DRLs. No fiddling with controls is required. This is not new nor confusing.

I will amend my comment. All cars with DRLs starting in the late 80s could have them deactivated by the parking brake.

There are different regional requirements but I assure you that every car that came into Canada built after 1989 HAD to have DRLs. Most had them a couple of years before that.

"Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) and its Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (MVSRs) require that all new vehicles sold in (or imported into) Canada and built after December 1, 1989, be fitted with daytime running lights (DRLs) that go on when you start the vehicle."

I would be willing to bet that most of the cars brought into the US had them from that point as well but some States just did not (some still do not) require they be activated.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #42
humfrz

Quote:
Which part of Canada were you in? Le côté français?
I ain't from Canada …….. can't you tell from my hillbilly speak …..

humfrz