follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
The more you flog your car, the more it'll reward you! No need to baby it....
There are many schools of thought on this and in this case his father-in-law did not respect his wishes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
res

Drives: Acura, Subaru BRZ - GBS MT Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways? View Post
I take it you were with him on the "test drive"??
Why not go over to his, ask if you can "test drive" one of his cars/bikes and just sit on the drive bouncing it off the limiter...?
Then you can call it square and walk off not having to "say no" to him or discuss the finer points of his test drive...

I pretty much agree with this response...

Your father-in-law is a major as*h**e. He really needs his as* kicked, but kicking his a** would land you in jail, so...

I would probably just get into his favorite car and hold the throttle down bouncing the tach off the rev-limiter, until I smelled/saw smoke... making sure he was watching as I did it of course.
res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
random

Drives: Multiple
Trying to look at this from your father-in-law's perspective...

You've married his daughter and effectively can have your way with her. That's priceless and lasts a lifetime; your $25k car is nothing in comparison.
random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
That shit pisses me off. I would never ask someone with a new car to drive it. Well I might but I wouldn't be serious about it and would have no qualms about being told no.

If anyone told me yes I then would probably still decline out of respect and if I didn't I'd clearly ask them how they'd like me to drive it and respect that.
I have to constantly turn people down that ask to drive my car. Then again I never let anyone drive any of my nice cars. I think maybe 4 people ever drove my turbo miata, and I owned that car for about 5 years.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by random View Post
Trying to look at this from your father-in-law's perspective...

You've married his daughter and effectively can have your way with her. That's priceless and lasts a lifetime; your $25k car is nothing in comparison.
So he owns his daughter? What's the price of a nice daughter these days? That, sir, is a ridiculous statement.

He disrespected his son-in-law, simple as that. I'd be fuming. Now, ruining the f-i-l's car doesn't make it any better, though.
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Still, the issue is the same. The OP decided to heed the owner manual and disregard the internet know-it-alls and the F-i-l disrespected that decision. The f-i-l is a douchebag, the OP is right to be angry.
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Man there is a lot of bullshit written here, some of it from lame Americanized mentalities. The fact that he is your father in law doesn't mean shit. You are both adult human beings and need to respect each others simple requests, its called courtesy, that's how society functions. If he disrespects your wishes you have every right to tell him how you feel, dont be a prick about it but be firm and let him know whats on your mind. He will probably respect you for being strong enough to voice your opinion or he will be the prick that it sounds like he may be and will not care what you have to say. He gets no special points because you are nailing his daughter, you are all family now and need to treat each other with EQUAL respect.
atledreier (07-11-2012), Chewie4299 (07-11-2012), Dadhawk (07-11-2012), nibor33 (07-11-2012), Sportsguy83 (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Bottom line, your father-in-law was an ass and should have respected your instructions not to flog the car.

In the end, just be the bigger person and move on. Telling him he screwed up isn't going to accomplish anything, he knows what he did. You can express your displeasure with his actions, but really that should have been done at the time. Now it would just seem lame on your part.

You've learned from it, and I'm guessing he'll never drive one of your cars again. That should be enough.

I seriously doubt he did any damage to the car.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Chewie4299 (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Im currently at 900 miles and really just sticking to the first 1000 miles because thats what the warranty says not because I believe it is needed.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
drifter

Drives: truck and old car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
Man there is a lot of bullshit written here, some of it from lame Americanized mentalities. The fact that he is your father in law doesn't mean shit. You are both adult human beings and need to respect each others simple requests, its called courtesy, that's how society functions. If he disrespects your wishes you have every right to tell him how you feel, dont be a prick about it but be firm and let him know whats on your mind. He will probably respect you for being strong enough to voice your opinion or he will be the prick that it sounds like he may be and will not care what you have to say. He gets no special points because you are nailing his daughter, you are all family now and need to treat each other with EQUAL respect.
AGREE. (however I might have made an exception if I didin't yet get to nail his daughter)
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Get even with him by giving his daughter a good flogging.
I wish I was this witty.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atledreier View Post
I am often amazed at people who "can't say no" to other people. It's my car, my money, and if I say "no, I'm breaking it in and don't want other people touching it at this point" they better respect that or they can just walk away. Father in law, boss or friend.

To be honest, I wouldn't ASK a guy with a brand new car to drive it. I would take the offer if one is made, though. Then I would politely ask about reservations he/she might have. Common courtesy in my mind.
I sort of Agree. Two people who i will allow to drive my car will be my dad, who is paying for it until i can take over payments when i get out of grad school. the second will be my best friend who taught me how to drive stick in his beloved 350z. everyone else i can say no to.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your brand new car getting abused like that. I'm guessing that he either did not know what he was doing, didn't care or was getting some revenge of his own. Everybody has a different opinion for engine breaks ins, and usually valid points too. No one is ever right or wrong, which is why it is so debatable. I personally would not be too worried about it.
Zach
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
Get even with him by giving his daughter a good flogging.
awesome
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote