follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 PM   #743
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post

Cosworth advertises for the supercharger tunes 2.0, 2.1, and 2.3. I don't have, nor can I afford, the awesome headers. So, I emailed Cosworth for a tune as I already had the 1.2 setup. A few days later, I had the 2.2 tune!

Other Goodies to accompany

TRD Radiator Cap

10 Series Headlights... finally

So I've had my Cosworth kit on for nearly 2 years now (installed in May of 2015) and I've hit the 30,000 mile mark on the supercharger. Very few issues and it's still running strong. Still no track days on it, but a few spirited drives. Hopefully this fall I'll be able to put her on the track. Life's been good.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (03-21-2017), sly (03-21-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #744
Pakman

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
People with the cosworth supercharger, do you guys have an aftermarket oil cooler? or does the radiator that comes with the stage 2 enough to keep everything cool.

What are a few things to watch out for?

Just got the stage 2 cosworth today and want some feedback from experience owners.
Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pakman For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #745
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
People with the cosworth supercharger, do you guys have an aftermarket oil cooler? or does the radiator that comes with the stage 2 enough to keep everything cool.

What are a few things to watch out for?

Just got the stage 2 cosworth today and want some feedback from experience owners.

Welcome to the club! I'll have to put you on the list of known owners.

Anyway, I had the Perrin oil cooler for a little while, but since I don't track the car I didn't feel the need to have it. So I went with the OEM style (though through the throttle body route). The intercooler system with this kit is very effective. I know one guy whose tracked his car without an oil cooler and was fine, while another guy in the UK has a type of liquid-2-oil cooler and it seem to work good too. I will say, if you plan to be a track rat, an oil cooler like Perrin, Jackson Racing, ect, would be the best idea. Hope that helps!!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #746
Pakman

Sweet! Thanks for the reply. Will post pictures once everything is finalized.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pakman For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #747
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You dont need an oil cooler if you dont track the car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #748
PaketGo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey, guys! So my supercharger kit is only making 230 HP. Ran it on the dyno 3x for an initial baseline on performance. Talk to the tuner and gave me some insights. What do you guys think? I don't have any other mods other than wheels and the stage two supercharger. Does this sound right? Does the complete exhaust system really increase the performance by another 40 hp?

Last edited by PaketGo; 04-03-2017 at 07:14 PM.
PaketGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #749
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaketGo View Post
Hey, guys! So my supercharger kit is only making 230 HP. Ran it on the dyno 3x for an initial baseline on performance. Talk to the tuner and gave me some insights. What do you guys think? I don't have any other mods other than wheels and the stage two supercharger. Does this sound right? Does the complete exhaust system really increase the performance by another 40 hp?
Those who have dyno'd their car hit around 250 hp to the wheels, but those were with the full exhaust as well. So it's not unbelievable if you are making 230 whp, which is still a comfortable zone if you ask me. Are you using the Cosworth supplied tune or a different tune?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #750
ajc209

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaketGo View Post
What was your baseline stock? Are you running the Cosworth tune?

Full exhaust over stock adds about 20-25hp so if you are getting 230WHP that sounds about right.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #751
Pakman

Wow, thanks for the response guys. Sorry for using two usernames Paketgo and Pakman... I made two accounts and plan to use this one as a main, but accidently posted on the other.

So back to the supercharger... I am not too worried thanks to you! I actually bought the car with the supercharger "professionally" installed from the dealership. I was able to work out a deal for 23k with warranty. The warranty won't per say cover the supercharger but would repair any wear/damage done from the supercharger. (really awesome dealership!) I took it to the dyno because you never just trust the dealership's word! Got around 230HP. 167 MAX torque. The whole thing looked pretty linear and no real dip around the 4k RPM band. The guy running the dyno (was not a tuner) said I should be getting a lot more from the supercharger, but after hearing from you guys I feel a bit better. I have a complete stock exhaust setup. The tuner didn't have much time to spend with me since he was with another customer but quickly stated that I was running a bit too lean (Should be common with FI) but couldn't give me more info since he hasn't taken a look at my car yet. Do you guys run a little more on the lean side? I can post the dyno result and can request for air/fuel ratio. I was going to get the car professionally tuned once I get a full exhaust set up going, but if something is wrong I can send it in now. Cost around 450 per tune... Let me know what you guys think!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #752
ajc209

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the response guys. Sorry for using two usernames Paketgo and Pakman... I made two accounts and plan to use this one as a main, but accidently posted on the other.

So back to the supercharger... I am not too worried thanks to you! I actually bought the car with the supercharger "professionally" installed from the dealership. I was able to work out a deal for 23k with warranty. The warranty won't per say cover the supercharger but would repair any wear/damage done from the supercharger. (really awesome dealership!) I took it to the dyno because you never just trust the dealership's word! Got around 230HP. 167 MAX torque. The whole thing looked pretty linear and no real dip around the 4k RPM band. The guy running the dyno (was not a tuner) said I should be getting a lot more from the supercharger, but after hearing from you guys I feel a bit better. I have a complete stock exhaust setup. The tuner didn't have much time to spend with me since he was with another customer but quickly stated that I was running a bit too lean (Should be common with FI) but couldn't give me more info since he hasn't taken a look at my car yet. Do you guys run a little more on the lean side? I can post the dyno result and can request for air/fuel ratio. I was going to get the car professionally tuned once I get a full exhaust set up going, but if something is wrong I can send it in now. Cost around 450 per tune... Let me know what you guys think!
That's a great dealer!

Doesnt the Cosworth kit come with a calibration in the US? I didnt pay for my tune it came with the kit. Runs around 11.5:1 AFR when WOT IIRC.

Regarding running lean, depends how it was measured. If it was done by sticking a sensor up one of the tail pipes it will not be accurate. The most accurate way to measure it is with a wideband near the overpipe. He will have needed to weld in a bung in the exhaust to do so....
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #753
Pakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
That's a great dealer!

Doesnt the Cosworth kit come with a calibration in the US? I didnt pay for my tune it came with the kit. Runs around 11.5:1 AFR when WOT IIRC.

Regarding running lean, depends how it was measured. If it was done by sticking a sensor up one of the tail pipes it will not be accurate. The most accurate way to measure it is with a wideband near the overpipe. He will have needed to weld in a bung in the exhaust to do so....
Yeah, they definitely didn't put anything near the overpipe.. I don't know the exact AFR and will request for the info later this afternoon.

The previous owner probably tuned the car correctly I presume. I don't have any tuning equipment on me like the ECUTek cables. But if I did, pretty sure it would be easy to check! Thanks again for the insight

So far had the car for a few days and really enjoying the car. Never had this much fun! Cosworth looks so clean and love the quality of their work!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #754
weederr33
Airborne at your service

If you can get a hold of the Cosworth tune, it's pretty solid. For any tweaks to it, @Matt@Cosworth is usually willing to work with you. I was running pretty lean a while back, but got that fixed.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 04-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #755
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
if you are willing to buy an ecutek cable and a licence I can send you a tune

you can also rent the cable sometimes but you'll still need to buy an ECUtek license

as I can't just send you a tune without knowing the dongle ID of the original installer I'm afraid so unless you can get that information you need to pay for another license

also what fuel were you running on for the dyno pull? as 91 octane vs 93 is about another 7-8Bhp ( providing the tune takes advantage of it)
are there any modes/ different maps with your tune?
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #756
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
The previous owner probably tuned the car correctly I presume. I don't have any tuning equipment on me like the ECUTek cables. But if I did, pretty sure it would be easy to check! Thanks again for the insight
Have you tried to see if your car is programmed with different maps? A Cosworth Ecutek tune will have 4 maps selectable by holding in the cruise control. Start the engine and pull the cruise control stalk toward you for a few seconds. The tach should move to 1,000 rpm. This is the default setting and is for 91 octane fuel. If you move the stalk upward, the tach will move to 2,000 rpm. This is the map for 93 octane and will give you more HP provided you are on the correct fuel. Pull the stalk toward you once more and that will select the map.

This will at least show whether or not your car has an Ecutek tune... If this doesn't work, then you probably don't have Ecutek and a Cosworth tune.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote