follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2020, 01:07 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Issues removing front bumper

Followed the instructions listed here:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8788

And tried following a few videos but have had problems removing my front bumper. I don't know if it's because my car is a pre-facelift 2016 model that they added additional bolts or something I don't know about but I removed all pop screws/ 10mm bolts shown in that thread but when I tried to pull the bumper off it felt like there was something around the side indicators that was still screwed in (I removed the pop screw located inside the side-indicator that's tricky to get to).

List of what I removed:
ACROSS THE TOP: 2 pop screws, 5, 10mm bolts
WHEELS: 3 pop screws on each side of the flaps, an additional 1 pop screw in each of the inner part of the flaps, 2 pop screws on both side indicators
ACROSS THE BOTTOM: 3 big pop screws, 4 smaller pop screws, 2, 10mm bolts
(Plus the two rectangle tabs under each headlight)

The only thing I didn't do was pull out the side indicators as i'm worried about breaking them and the video shown below doesn't do it to remove their bumper. I still removed the hard to get push screw located above the side indicator that connects it to the top half of the bumper so it should have came out.

My car is the same model shown in this tutorial:

It does seem to have some differences such as those rectangle tabs located under the headlights that were removed in that video (skip to 1:11 to see what i'm referring to), that I also removed that don't seem to be present in any of the cars shown in tutorials I've watched. Also they didn't need to pop the side indicators out when removing the bumper.

So anyone know what I missed? Don't want to try it again until i'm sure because those bottom 3 bumper push screws are all dusty and smashed up and were a pain to remove.

(side note my car is second hand but everything about the front of the car is stock other than valenti side indicators)

Last edited by Sam86; 04-23-2020 at 01:20 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
skylinekin

Drives: 22 GR86, 13 FRS, 15 BRZ, 13 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just remove the side markers, use a flathead to push the tab and they will come out without damage, watch some tutorials.

After all the fasteners are removed as you mentioned, all that’s holding the bumper on are the edges of the bumper below the headlights being “clipped” into a plastic bracket. It does require some force to disconnect on both sides by pulling the bumper down and away from the body and then it basically falls off the car.

We’re you able to get this far? If not I have a feeling you were not using enough force to disconnect these clips.
skylinekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:33 AM   #3
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I managed to get it off but wish I hadn't. I wasn't pulling hard enough and didn't know to go from the sides first. Managed to remove the bumper without needing to remove the side markers however wasn't able to attach the lip I wanted because the previous owner wired up the new sidemarkers so I wasn't able to pull the lights out to be able to move the bumper completely off the car.

Then proceeded to step on the rectangle thing located under the headlight as it started to rain and I panicked. It didn't snap the connector completely so I was able to reattach however it's so weak it'll probably fall off if I go over any bumps.

Tried to reattach the bumper, managed to do so but now I have a little gap under the headlights that I can't seem to fix by pushing in. I've caused enough damage so I guess i'm just gonna have to go pay someone who knows what they're doing
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote