follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #127
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
oooooh I want Zankou now. I love anaheim. Used to live about 5 minutes from Honda/Angels
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #128
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just had the new slave cylinder installed, such an improvement!
Thanks OP.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #129
Cuchullain

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
+1^ although it doesn't hurt to keep going as long as you watch the fluid level in the reservoir.

When we did @Jonesy86's last Tuesday I was amazed at how long it took to work out all the air. Definitely more than a few cycles but his clutch fluid looked contaminated. There may have been something else going on with his. I'll be checking it again this weekend.
I just did mine quickly (as it starting snowing ) and my fluid definitely looked off. How did his fluid look? Mine looked like it had black particles in it, which I have to assume is not normal. As it is snowing pretty good I haven't gotten a chance to drive it much yet, but it does feel much improved. I'm wondering if I should try to flush the system however.
Cuchullain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #130
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchullain View Post
I just did mine quickly (as it starting snowing ) and my fluid definitely looked off. How did his fluid look? Mine looked like it had black particles in it, which I have to assume is not normal. As it is snowing pretty good I haven't gotten a chance to drive it much yet, but it does feel much improved. I'm wondering if I should try to flush the system however.
When I started this, both my brake and clutch reservoirs were the same slightly golden color. There was a tiny bit of shmutz on the bottom that I stirred up when I first poured to top off. It was nothing like the black I see now after a couple months.

Still, the fluid color and small black particles are no worse than any slave cylinder I've serviced/owned. It's just not squeaky clean new like my original brake fluid still appears even after 10 Kmi.

I attributed the change in color to the brand of fluid I used. Was yours factory? What does it look like in comparison to your brake reservoir?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #131
Cuchullain

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

So I have had the new slave installed for about 5 days now, and have done a mix of driving in some stop and go traffic, street driving, and highway driving. Currently I am running without the pedal helper spring, the pedal adjusted to even with the brake pedal, and a bumper behind the pedal to limit throw. I also have the TRD short shifter installed, but that really shouldn't have any effect on the feel of the pedal, just shifting overall.

My impression is that the smaller slave cylinder has certainly helped with pedal feel, and the travel feels much more uniform and linear. The engagement point is definitely more apparent than on the stock car, or than with the helper spring removed. The pedal is stiffer, but not extremely so. I haven't really adjusted my shifting at all, but the car does shift smoother (or I'm imagining it). However, I am not quite as staggered as other people have been. Maybe it's the fact that I do not have the helper spring, or that I have unrealistic expectations, but it's still not quite what I expect a clutch to feel like. I can certainly feel the engagement point better, but not quite as much as I would've liked. This could be because I'm shit at shifting and wore my clutch out (I don't think so, you might), wear thick combat boots while driving (more of a running shoe guy), or am never happy (quite likely).

This is not to say I think it wasn't worthwhile, it definitely is if you are looking for better feel. I even like how stiff the pedal is, and I don't even feel like it is bothersome in heavy traffic. The prices for the parts direct from Subaru are cheap enough, and the work to install it easy and quick enough that I think everyone who thinks they have a problem shifting should try it. Easy enough to switch back if you go FI, don't like it, or whatever. Also, in my case, it was just something enough to scratch the mod itch for a short while without bankrupting me

TL;DR - give it a shot.

Quote:
When I started this, both my brake and clutch reservoirs were the same slightly golden color. There was a tiny bit of shmutz on the bottom that I stirred up when I first poured to top off. It was nothing like the black I see now after a couple months.

Still, the fluid color and small black particles are no worse than any slave cylinder I've serviced/owned. It's just not squeaky clean new like my original brake fluid still appears even after 10 Kmi.

I attributed the change in color to the brand of fluid I used. Was yours factory? What does it look like in comparison to your brake reservoir?

I keep forgetting to pop my hood and look when I'm getting in and out of my car. My fluid isn't really a different color than normal brake fluid, just had some black... dust? for lack of a better word. I'm not really too concerned right now, because even when actuating the clutch, it didn't really get stirred up. I only noticed it when I poured the new fluid in to top it off. I figure if it's settled in the reservoir, I'm probably OK for now. I will try to get a look at my brake fluid to compare them though.
Cuchullain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuchullain For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #132
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchullain View Post
However, I am not quite as staggered as other people have been. Maybe it's the fact that I do not have the helper spring, or that I have unrealistic expectations, but it's still not quite what I expect a clutch to feel like. I can certainly feel the engagement point better, but not quite as much as I would've liked. This could be because I'm shit at shifting and wore my clutch out (I don't think so, you might), wear thick combat boots while driving (more of a running shoe guy), or am never happy (quite likely).
You don't have unrealistic expectations. This clutch is weird for sure. Whether it's the way the clutch fork pivots or if it's the design of the pressure plate, it's really goofy. I'm used to clutches biting a lot harder much earlier in the lift. This one doesn't grab hard until almost the end of the pedal throw.

Maybe eventually I'll drop the tranny and dig around.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #133
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You don't have unrealistic expectations. This clutch is weird for sure. Whether it's the way the clutch fork pivots or if it's the design of the pressure plate, it's really goofy. I'm used to clutches biting a lot harder much earlier in the lift. This one doesn't grab hard until almost the end of the pedal throw.

Maybe eventually I'll drop the tranny and dig around.
go halves on one because research
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #134

Drives: 2014 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think I agree with @Cuchullain. I had the smaller slave cylinder on for about a month with the helper spring removed and it was definitely stiffer (expected) with very minimal (if any) increase in feel (realized after the honeymoon mod period). I think the removed helper spring with the added stiffness dampens an extra feel you may get with this slave cylinder install.

The smaller cylinder should reduce the range of the pedal from first initial touch to full engagement so you'd have to be more precise with footwork and the negligible increase in feel actually makes it harder to drive smooth.

The amount of people providing positive responses towards this modification leads to me believing that this is most effective with the helper spring installed. Is that a fair conclusion?

I drove my mates evo 7 and the pedal was so vague but there was so little effort required to get seamless shifts. It felt so natural. Maybe our newer clutches are more grabby
504 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 504 For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-26-2015), Ultramaroon (02-26-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #135
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
go halves on one because research
Hahaha... my wife would kill me. I need to finish some of her requests first. Not as interesting but I like sleeping in the house.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #136
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 View Post
I think I agree with @Cuchullain. I had the smaller slave cylinder on for about a month with the helper spring removed and it was definitely stiffer (expected) with very minimal (if any) increase in feel (realized after the honeymoon mod period). I think the removed helper spring with the added stiffness dampens an extra feel you may get with this slave cylinder install.

The smaller cylinder should reduce the range of the pedal from first initial touch to full engagement so you'd have to be more precise with footwork and the negligible increase in feel actually makes it harder to drive smooth.
I remain thrilled with how much the feel has improved. I quit accidentally smoking the clutch and that hasn't changed.

Quote:
The amount of people providing positive responses towards this modification leads to me believing that this is most effective with the helper spring installed. Is that a fair conclusion?
Mmmm... personal preference, I guess. I hate it.

Quote:
I drove my mates evo 7 and the pedal was so vague but there was so little effort required to get seamless shifts. It felt so natural. Maybe our newer clutches are more grabby
I'd like to hear other's opinions. Any input I have can reasonably be discounted due to perceived bias. I'm ok with that. Tear it up.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #137
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
I have the helper spring installed and like it a lot so far.. will try it without and see how it is
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-26-2015), Ultramaroon (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #138
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
I've filmed the engine rocking so there's a lot to control there. Guaranteed bump in NVH, though. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Thinking of mounting the camera underneath to see if I can get an idea of where else we get the big wiggles.
(OFFTOPIC) perrin motor mounts ordered. will let you know how they go
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-26-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 01:05 AM   #139
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Had a chance to drive @Ultramaroon 's car today, This makes the car feel like it has an actual clutch. The stock clutch by comparison, feels kinda like stepping on an overripe grapefruit connected to a random number generator which determines when the clutch will grab.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:29 AM   #140
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Had a chance to drive @Ultramaroon 's car today, This makes the car feel like it has an actual clutch. The stock clutch by comparison, feels kinda like stepping on an overripe grapefruit connected to a random number generator which determines when the clutch will grab.
Best description ever! Good times dicing it up today.

Tags
clutch line, slave cylinder