follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #2171
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
seems like most of the pages in this thread are all complaints about defective parts, needing to trim the mounting bracket, problems with wiring, sound quality, or software issues. Does anyone have any positive reviews aside from the opening post???

Sad because this is a very pretty looking unit.

Im kind of new to car audio but do other headunits from big name manufacturers cause this much headache?
This is by far the best head unit I've ever owned or seen!

Is it slower than a 5 year old tablet?
Do I sometimes have to piss buttons 8 times before they make contact?
Could it have more memory so you can have more than two apps open?
Could it have better GPS?
Newer OS?
Custom OS/kernel?
Etc.

Yes to all but It still beats $900 units imo.

Where you located?
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #2172
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
mid missouri.

i mean i don't need much from the unit. I probably wont use most apps aside from google maps, a music player, and vlc/youtube. but it seems like alot here are saying the sound quality is inferior to stock which is a big turnoff for me.. no matter how nice the unit looks.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #2173
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I dunno about the CT, but my 4 had markedly improved sound quality over the stock BRZ Limited HU, even before I installed the OEMAudio+ speaker kit.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #2174
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
I had the upgraded one like the bespoke one so maybe that one was just really good? IDK im not a music guy lol
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #2175
DC2R

In fact reform it is much better than the BRZ unit. I had the bespoke and it this is a downgrade in sound quality but I believe that can be fixed through software
Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #2176
zussypoo

Drives:
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Contact them from their website. It takes a few days for a response but they might beable to help you?
Yeah. I sent them a video and Will is forwarding it to his team. I gotta say though other than the AUX messing up(which is what I'll be using 99% of the time) everything else is pretty awesome. I just don't know if it's a wiring issue or an issue with the unit and can't seem to figure it out.
zussypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #2177
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zussypoo View Post
Yeah. I sent them a video and Will is forwarding it to his team. I gotta say though other than the AUX messing up(which is what I'll be using 99% of the time) everything else is pretty awesome. I just don't know if it's a wiring issue or an issue with the unit and can't seem to figure it out.
Well the door speakers are powered through the factory amp and that is turned on via a wire from the headunit so if they work on the other things it should be wired good? I do know you need to splice a wire or 2 for the AUX to work and i am assuming you did that as you can get some volume right?
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #2178
zussypoo

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Well the door speakers are powered through the factory amp and that is turned on via a wire from the headunit so if they work on the other things it should be wired good? I do know you need to splice a wire or 2 for the AUX to work and i am assuming you did that as you can get some volume right?
Yep. At first the door speakers were not working at all until I realized splicing was required and the blue AMP wire had to be plugged in pin #9. Now the question is why is AUX dropping the door speakers volume to 10% as soon as the cord is fully plugged in into the device....
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #2179
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zussypoo View Post
Yep. At first the door speakers were not working at all until I realized splicing was required and the blue AMP wire had to be plugged in pin #9. Now the question is why is AUX dropping the door speakers volume to 10% as soon as the cord is fully plugged in into the device....
Wait, it's when it's plugged in, and not just when it's playing from AUX? That sounds like a short.
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #2180
zussypoo

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Wait, it's when it's plugged in, and not just when it's playing from AUX? That sounds like a short.
It is when it is playing from AUX?
Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0z8kkz5rvv...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #2181
DC2R

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
mid missouri.

i mean i don't need much from the unit. I probably wont use most apps aside from google maps, a music player, and vlc/youtube. but it seems like alot here are saying the sound quality is inferior to stock which is a big turnoff for me.. no matter how nice the unit looks.
Oh ok. I was just asking because a local guy was looking into this thread this week for info before purchasing.said they are out of stock
Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #2182
zex

Drives: Subaru WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteve View Post
Anyone else having issues with using the antennae adapter linked earlier in the thread? I have it properly wired up and you can get a signal if you hold onto the antennae outside but it's pretty weak. What could be causing this? I tried using my brothers antennae which is a decent amount longer but still sounded like crap in the car.
I'm also having this issue. Did you find a solution? Mine is not as severe as yours tho.

It can get radio but significantly worse quality compared to stock head unit.

Thanks
zex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #2183
hthought

Drives: awesome
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wifi hotspot auto connect with iphone

Hi guys,
I purchased the radio and i am very pleased with it. I do have an impontant problem though. I have an iphone which i use as a hotspot to share my internet connection via wifi.

The problem is that everytime i use the radio, i have to disable and then reenable the hotspot on the iphone 6 in order for the radio to connect to it again.

Is there a way to make this automatic ? Anybody else had the same issue? Though i looked at the thread posts, i couldn't find the answer yet.

Thanks !
hthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #2184
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hthought View Post
Hi guys,

I purchased the radio and i am very pleased with it. I do have an impontant problem though. I have an iphone which i use as a hotspot to share my internet connection via wifi.

The problem is that everytime i use the radio, i have to disable and then reenable the hotspot on the iphone 6 in order for the radio to connect to it again.

Is there a way to make this automatic ? Anybody else had the same issue? Though i looked at the thread posts, i couldn't find the answer yet.

Thanks !

Unless your iPhone is jailbroken, you have to navigate to the personal hotspot screen on the phone before a non-handoff device will see it even if you saved the connection previously.

If you're having to reconnect it from the car side despite this, that sounds like a different problem.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote