follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #1695
kavanagh
Fat on Corn Syrup

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS AT (yes, auto!)
Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,094 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrogDor the Burninator View Post
If you are talking NASA TTD, my mod list so far puts me only at 12 points ...

Mods with their 2014 NASA point values:

Tires:
Currently on ZIIs, but RS3s are the same point value (120-200 treadware street tires) +2
(Note - moving to R-Comp 50-130 treadware is a +7)
Base tire width for TTD is 245 btw

Engine:
FT-86 SpeedFactory Catted UEL Header +2
Tomei Expreme Ti 60S Single Exit Titantium Exhaust +2
(can add aftermarket overpipe and uncatted frontpipe if desired for no more points due to the above point add)
Add one point for removal, upgrade, or modification of Catalytic converter +1
Custom tune with fuel maps for E85 .... FREE
Oil Cooler (recommended) - FREE
Transmission Cooler (not sure it's needed) - FREE

Suspension:
KW V3 Coliovers +3
Modified Springs (came with the coilovers) +2
Raceseng CasCam Caster and Camber plates FREE

Like I said - my current points are at 12, giving me the freedom to use R-comp tires should I choose to. Other wise I can pick some other items to look at for more performance, but tires are really where you are want to have points for.

Overall, I feel like I maximized my mods pretty well. Only issue I worried about were my Volk TE37SLs ... They are 18x9 ... and I'm worried a 245/40 tire may be a bit stretched ... but I think I'm fine. An R-comp tire will put me at 17 points ... leaving 2 more to stay in TTD

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much TrogDor and yes, NASA TT is what we're aiming for.

Here are my points as of today.

Tires: My Score: (-4) for running Michelin PSS 225/45-17

Engine: My Score: (+3) for Air tube from stock box to throttle body (+1), Berk dual tip muffler delete (+2), e85 tune (0), aftermarket panel filter (0)
I wondered if tuning the ECU would add points like a piggy back or stand alone. I'm glad to see the e85 tune is free!
I'd consider putting back the stock air tube to get the point back if I need it later. We need to add oil and tranny coolers (0)

Suspension: My Score (0) since I'm stock except for the crash bolt installed in the top knuckle hole. I don't think that costs any points, right?
Can we put the Raceseng CasCam plates on our otherwise stock suspension, and also do it for zero points?

Drivetrain: My Score (+3) for added paddle shifters on the auto

Aerodynamics: My Score (+4) for that tiny little factory spoiler (it counts as points against since it's a dealer option, right?)

Total of +6 points since we're on such low rated tires right now. We're still in HPDE 2, probably will start HPDE 3 next event, so we're a ways off from even getting into TT, but I want to keep that goal in mind as we grow.

At this point I think suspension and tires is all we have left to mess with. Possibly a small rear diffuser to fill in the hole left by the muffler delete - I can definitely feel the difference at speed after we took the stock muffler off.
kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #1696
becauseracecar1

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I live Florida and I do 1 track day a month. My car is 100% stock(except for race pads on track day). Do I need an oil cooler? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
facebook.com/86motorsports
becauseracecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #1697
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by becauseracecar1 View Post
I live Florida and I do 1 track day a month. My car is 100% stock(except for race pads on track day). Do I need an oil cooler? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 track day per month is more than your average driver/owner. The oil cooler is a great unit to have for sustained performance and to keep oil temperatures in check. Jackson Racing has the largest oil cooler on the market right now.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #1698
TrogDor the Burninator

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FR-S 6 MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by becauseracecar1 View Post
On track days session 1 and 2 are always my fastest times, even though I may not have my best laps. You can feel the engine start pulling timing at the end of a 20 minute session because the oil temps are so high. Here in the Midwest, many of our track days are in the heat, and the car feels a bit sluggish in the afternoon. Again, I feel like this is from high oil temps. I haven't logged my oil temps via Torque yet, because my phone is usually running Harry's Lap Timer Petrolhead instead.

Since NASA doesn't add points for aftermarket oil coolers, I think it's a great addition. I haven't selected one just yet, but it's an upgrade I'll be making as soon as I get my custom tune.

As for a transmission cooler, again a no point mod in NASA, I'm not sure of the benefit or if it is needed. I'm interested to hear what some of the higher profile drivers think about them.
2013 Scion FR-S Hot Lava 6MT Current Mods: KW V3 Coilovers - Raceseng CasCam Plates - Volk TE37SL Black Edition 18x9 +45 - Dunlop Direzza ZIIs 255/35 - Tomei Expreme Ti 60S - FT86 SpeedFactory UEL Catted Header
TrogDor the Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrogDor the Burninator For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (07-26-2014), juliog (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #1699
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Anyone who tracks their BRZ in my opinion needs some kind of oil cooler.

We've been logging our car and even in 75 deg ambient we are seeing 265-275 after 3 laps on every track we drive at.

Currently we will be installing a 215 wrx cooler just to see what kind of drops we can see. Then we plan to try some OTS thermostatically controlled units.

I would be curious on trans cooler opinions. I am inclined to think that trans coolers aren't needed for MT perhaps a rear Diffy cooler though.

Mike
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
becauseracecar1 (07-26-2014), kavanagh (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #1700
TrogDor the Burninator

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FR-S 6 MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavanagh View Post
Thanks so much TrogDor and yes, NASA TT is what we're aiming for.

Can we put the Raceseng CasCam plates on our otherwise stock suspension, and also do it for zero points?

Drivetrain: My Score (+3) for added paddle shifters on the auto

Aerodynamics: My Score (+4) for that tiny little factory spoiler (it counts as points against since it's a dealer option, right?)
So a couple things ...

The 2014 NASA TT rules say this about paddle shifters:

Page 32 under section D. Drivetrain
4) Added paddle/electronic shift +3

I think the key word here is "Added" ... If the Paddle Shifters are stock and come on the car naturally, then I don't believe you take points for this. I would ask your NASA Director on that one ...

Raceseng CasCam plates "might" work on stock suspension, but I think it would be a custom piece that needs to be fabricated. They have a custom coilover form you can fill out, but I haven't heard of anyone with the plates on stock suspension ...

As for the lip spoiler, it's pretty much worthless but yeah, it's a point add. You might look for a more aggressive spoiler that will actually add some downforce if you are going to take points for the one you have now ...

I'm in HPDE3 as well, with a goal of finishing out the season with the TT group. Would like to start next season off in TTD and start accruing points!

Good luck to you !
2013 Scion FR-S Hot Lava 6MT Current Mods: KW V3 Coilovers - Raceseng CasCam Plates - Volk TE37SL Black Edition 18x9 +45 - Dunlop Direzza ZIIs 255/35 - Tomei Expreme Ti 60S - FT86 SpeedFactory UEL Catted Header
TrogDor the Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #1701
AZP Installs

OEM paddles on a non-smg trans I think are free.

Ditch the lip spoiler and get an OEM or nothing.

We are building for TTD as well and it doesn't need that spoiler if you are aiming for that class.

So far we have conti takeoffs and pads and it's coming along nicely.

Ast or ohlins will come this winter.

Mike
Old 07-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #1702
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
OEM paddles on a non-smg trans I think are free.

Ditch the lip spoiler and get an OEM or nothing.

We are building for TTD as well and it doesn't need that spoiler if you are aiming for that class.

So far we have conti takeoffs and pads and it's coming along nicely.

Ast or ohlins will come this winter.

Mike
I see on your website calendar Aug 13 you are having event at Thunderbolt? Any info?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #1703
AZP Installs

It's going to be $300/each should be an awesome day. Registration should be up by the end of the weekend.

Mike
Old 07-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #1704
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
It's going to be $300/each should be an awesome day. Registration should be up by the end of the weekend.

Mike
Awesome can't wait to sign up
Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #1705
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
how many puppies would it take to fill up the track at laguna seca?
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #1706
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Currently we will be installing a 215 wrx cooler just to see what kind of drops we can see. Then we plan to try some OTS thermostatically controlled units.

I would be curious on trans cooler opinions. I am inclined to think that trans coolers aren't needed for MT perhaps a rear Diffy cooler though.

Mike
What are your thoughts on a liquid:liquid cooler like the Subaru OEM coolers vs. a liquid:air cooler like most of the aftermarket?

For the rear diff, what about some of the aftermarket diff covers that increase capacity and have cooling vanes? Would that be sufficient, or would you need an external radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3ro View Post
how many puppies would it take to fill up the track at laguna seca?
Well, technically it IS a track-related question. The real question is will that many puppies be able to stay under the Laguna Seca dB restriction.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #1707
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
What are your thoughts on a liquid:liquid cooler like the Subaru OEM coolers vs. a liquid:air cooler like most of the aftermarket?

For the rear diff, what about some of the aftermarket diff covers that increase capacity and have cooling vanes? Would that be sufficient, or would you need an external radiator?

Well, technically it IS a track-related question. The real question is will that many puppies be able to stay under the Laguna Seca dB restriction.
bingo. I want to fill my FRS with puppies. How many puppies will break the db code?
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #1708
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I couldn't find the decibel measurement of a puppy's bark, so we'll go with grown dogs. The world record dog bark was set by a white German shepherd at 108 dB. It isn't fair to use the record holder, so we'll assume an average of 100 dB. The dB limit at Laguna Seca is 92 dB, which seems very low. Also, neither Guinness nor Laguna Seca's site listed how they measured, so I'll assume it's at 1 meter, since that's the standard.

Since decibels change on a logarithmic scale that requires double the power for a 3 dB increase and half the power for a 3 dB decrease, then 1/8 of an adult German shepherd will produce 91 dB and be legal to run at Laguna Seca.

Math, bitches.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote