follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #43
a.beck
Doing it wrong.

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varvs View Post
a question for the heroes that drive every second with all assists off:

in what fashion does having these safety measures on infringe on your driving experience on public roads? not 'spirited drives' or mountain runs, your day to day, traffic light to traffic light traffic.

What exactly are these electronic systems crippling in your experience that you so desperately need to disable them?

Hint: "ego" is not a valid answer.
While I take your point in a general sense, if you're trying to convince people, the tone of this post is pretty much the opposite of the right way to go about it.
a.beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #44
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Leave them on or switch them off? It doesn't matter. Random events happens. People already have their own opinions (yep, 'tis the internet to be sure) and that is the world in a can of baked beans.
Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #45
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
but... if we think about all the emergency scenario that could happen... maybe i should stay at home and play video game... ho wait... i could have a heart stroke.....

I just don't see how it is considered reckless driving safely and responsibly with aids off,

(maybe the fact that in quebec, we have a lot of snow for 5-6 months, and with those aids, each time i leave a stop i'm having a hard time to accelerate. or that at every corner that the rear slide a bit, and i want to correct the trajectory, my car cut the gaz and makes me freak out, i have a different point of view on those aids.... like abs... try those in 5 inch of snow an thin ice... you're brakes will just freak outs and your car will never stop....)

those aids in the snow/winter, i really don't like them... maybe if i always had summer, hot asphalt, i would consider them differently... but then... i don't push that car to it's limit on public road... so, i won't see the aids light flash that much...
Walla Walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #46
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I dont quite get people that want these nannies off! As someone has asked here, how is that going to affect your driving experience if youre going from A to B? I understand that if you want to have a bit of action, you can easily turn them off but then again that (despite the "I am god damn good driver") could cause injuries to others and yourself. I see every so often some ****head (usually) with a Holden ute or a beat up ford, doing burn outs, dangerous cornering, etc. Most of the times you can see they struggle to control the darn whale, and I always think if there was a point of doing that? What if one of these kind of spirited dirvers would hit your car? Or hit you, or your dear one? Would you be as understanding? I would probablhy beat the crap out of him, but that is just me. Yep, sure they might do it for the show (oh look at that guy, he's got it so small that he feels the need to overconpensate with some attention grabbing manouvers) or just for fun. Fun? Go to a track!
On the other hand, as long as the "spirited driving" does not endanger any one, by all means do it (at your own risk) but if you do it so it puts others in a risky situation, then might as well be safe, have the nannies on and dont be a 8=D head. Take your "I am a good driver because blah blah" to the track, drive like crazy till the wheels come off, but dont be an idiot on the public roads. Imagine if EVERYONE would do the same thing as these "heroes".
I have meet few good drifting drivers as well as rally ones too. NONE of them have driven their cars like some 18yo on their P licence thinking that they are the drift king because their front wheel automatic car chirped at the lights.

No one wants to live for the rest of their life regreting 10 seconds of retarded fun, believe me.
Be safe!

Last edited by Hawk77FT; 01-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #47
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
driving to coles, if you require the car to hold a bigger slide than VSC sport can offer i think you might be up to no good.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Surok For This Useful Post:
Varvs (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #48
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
To be honest, having covered 750km in two days in mine (Early delivery!), the 'nannies' aren't terribly intrusive if you're keeping the car in a grip intensive situation anyway. I've barely managed to bark the tyres without really trying with the nannies off.

Also; For those that turn these off for everyday driving? Just remember that VSC can do some things that you physically cannot do. These cars aren't fitted with two brake pedals for front and back, afterall. They're staying on unless I'm up in the hills, for me. I don't really feel the need to break traction while I'm buying milk.
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
Varvs

Drives: '97 180SX Type X
Being the best driver in the world does not compensate for the lack of ability you find in your average commuter.

every time you drive, whether you like it or not you are entering a life-threatening scenario. your actions can kill or get you killed. with that in mind, why would you not want to have every advantage available to you in the event of an incident?

I have a car with ABS, and its saved me and my car numerous times. its nice to know that in a split second decision you can throw your foot to the floor on the brake pedal and stop quickly. I can modulate the brakes to beat it - im sure most people given the knowledge and an appropriate area to test it could too. its being able to do it effectively and at the drop of a hat, while also being able to focus on any number of other variables that can crop up in the event of an incident.

Why dont you guys also go ahead and disable your airbags, seat belts and re-enforce your crumple zones? cars from yester-year never had them either.

you are disabling safety features designed specifically to keep you and others alive, may as well turn them all off.

on top of all that a lot of people are coming from front wheel drive cars to these cars and thinking they are Takumi 2.0. muscle memory and habits are much more a factor than anything else, and FWD and RWD react very differently to each other.

Surok sums it up. if you are finding the limits of the systems in your daily driving, you are driving too hard. Do everyones safety and insurance premiums a favor and just stop driving.
Varvs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Varvs For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-02-2013), cuddefred (01-01-2013), MACCAA (01-01-2013), Surok (01-01-2013), t0dd (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #50
JiB

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
having power cut out is an awful feeling though
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #51
kster

Drives: 86 GTS PW
Some people in this thread are getting overly sensitive and dramatising the situation just like a tv sitcom with such things as disabling airbags seatbelts etc.

My Personsal preference is to leave these so called safety features (TSC) off as i have previously stated these are over intrusive and can be dangerous in certain situations.
kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #52
Hawk77FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kster View Post
Some people in this thread are getting overly sensitive and dramatising the situation just like a tv sitcom with such things as disabling airbags seatbelts etc.

My Personsal preference is to leave these so called safety features (TSC) off as i have previously stated these are over intrusive and can be dangerous in certain situations.
Give me an example of one situation when they are dangerous? Dont say snow because you're in Brisie not Montreal.
Overintrusive? LIke someone has mentioned here, if any of the two deactivated TSC or VSC are not giving you enough slide/wheelspin/grin on the face than you (not you in particular) are giving a bad name to this car by taking your "I am the Stig" seriously. Again, not an attack to anyone in particular.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #53
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Give me an example of one situation when they are dangerous? Dont say snow because you're in Brisie not Montreal.
Overintrusive?
it was not directed to me... but i live in Quebec City... we have twice the snow of montreal normaly..... and when i want to accelerate to enter the highway, on the snow... i can manage my car trying to slide and keep it straight while accelerating at a normal rate...

with aids at On, car just stop accelerating, lights flash in the dash, then suddenly i oversteer for like one second, and then the gaz seems to cut.... and, sorry, but i don't find this kind of behavior safe...

we also have something here, wich we call in french Dark Ice... the road seems on the asphalt and everything seems safe, but in reality, there is a thin layer of ice... but you can't see it... you just realise it if you give a shot of gaz..... I want to know when i drive if i should be more carefull, and not just thrust driving aids....

and also, i saw a lot of comment saying *if you think you're a hero* and * keep it to the track*... i'm sorry, but i dont remove those aids so i can drive recklessly... not more than someone who has a mustang 2002, or any kind of other RWD that don't have those aids ....
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #54
Hawk77FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla Walla View Post
it was not directed to me... but i live in Quebec City... we have twice the snow of montreal normaly..... and when i want to accelerate to enter the highway, on the snow... i can manage my car trying to slide and keep it straight while accelerating at a normal rate...

with aids at On, car just stop accelerating, lights flash in the dash, then suddenly i oversteer for like one second, and then the gaz seems to cut.... and, sorry, but i don't find this kind of behavior safe...

we also have something here, wich we call in french Dark Ice... the road seems on the asphalt and everything seems safe, but in reality, there is a thin layer of ice... but you can't see it... you just realise it if you give a shot of gaz..... I want to know when i drive if i should be more carefull, and not just thrust driving aids....

and also, i saw a lot of comment saying *if you think you're a hero* and * keep it to the track*... i'm sorry, but i dont remove those aids so i can drive recklessly... not more than someone who has a mustang 2002, or any kind of other RWD that don't have those aids ....
In your case mate, I totally agree and understand. You need to turned them off in order to drive normally not recklessly.
But in Brisbane, there is the same chance for us to have snow as it is to have Megan Fox calling me today! But then again, I am a good looking guy, so I dont see why not? Just joking!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #55
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Garage
I hope for you there will be snow in Brisbane

but I understand, that on dry asphalt, it is not as intrusive then on ice/snow... just like abs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Walla Walla For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #56
kster

Drives: 86 GTS PW
I will note 2 conditions in Brisbane where it is beneficial to leave the TSC off in the rain and on dirt roads.

E.g 1. Highway driving when it buckets down with rain where the drainage is poor on the sides off the road (Bruce highway, Ipswich motorway etc.) which can cause TSC to intrusively activate and cause loss of control.
E.g 2. Dirt roads as per above it can intrusively activate when not required which can cause loss of control.
kster is offline   Reply With Quote