follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #911
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
It simply takes attention to detail to not mess it up. .

That right there is a totally foreign concept to someone whose goal is just to make time on a shitty paying warranty job. 'Flat rate' and 'attention to detail' are almost always mutually exclusive. Throw in some general 'don't give a fuck about life' and 'questionable technical ability', and it's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by venturaII; 02-19-2019 at 03:11 PM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #912
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Broad sample size? There were 26,000 Twins in the recall. I doubt we have more than 100 different people that have posted here. Of those maybe 30 have said they had the work done so far. There are now 5 reported issues. I don't know how you define "broad" but I doubt a sample size of .12% meets the term.

Those that have failures should push the issue and should get their cars repaired properly if the repair caused that issue.
I hoped the italics would convey sarcasm. I absolutely agree a handful of failures is not indicative of a faulty process.

Sloppy work produces sloppy results. Simple as that.

As an example... Benz has a bulletin on the V6 diesel, engine oil cooler leaks. It's a huge pain, in the valley under the manifolds. Shortly after that DTB, there is a new one, "Engine seizing shortly after oil cooler repair". If you wash all the oil and junk down in to the engine it takes out a main bearing. They had to publish a document to explain that
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #913
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I hoped the italics would convey sarcasm. I absolutely agree a handful of failures is not indicative of a faulty process.

Sloppy work produces sloppy results. Simple as that.

As an example... Benz has a bulletin on the V6 diesel, engine oil cooler leaks. It's a huge pain, in the valley under the manifolds. Shortly after that DTB, there is a new one, "Engine seizing shortly after oil cooler repair". If you wash all the oil and junk down in to the engine it takes out a main bearing. They had to publish a document to explain that
DAMNIT We really need the sarcasm font!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #914
cwb48

Drives: 2013 FR-s Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Recall done

I had the valve spring recall done last month. They (Apple Valley Toyota in Martinsburg, WV) said it would take 3 days, but it took a full week. I asked them to install new spark plugs while they were at it, but they "forgot". Since my car only has 21K miles on it, that doesn't bother me too much, except for the forgetting part. They found a rodent nest in my airbox, so they did replace the air filter, and charged me $24 total. The invoice listed new oil, but no coolant. The car ran fine on the way home from the dealership, and there are no puddles of oil on the garage floor, but since I don't drive it in the dead of winter, I can't really say much more at this point. So far the most annoying thing is having to reprogram the radio, but I'll let you all know how it goes.
By the way, the fuel pump still ticks.
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #915
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just spoke with Toyota and they are only willing to cover 2 days worth of rental. Are they just BS ing me or is this the same with everyone else?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #916
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
Just spoke with Toyota and they are only willing to cover 2 days worth of rental. Are they just BS ing me or is this the same with everyone else?
I told them not to sign me up for a rental if they weren't sure they could guarantee I wouldn't pay. Needless to say, I caught the shuttle and walked to work. Since this could be break/fix for them, rather than warranty repair, I wouldn't hold your breath on a complimentary rental
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #917
ScionWolf

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My repair took 3 days and the rental was covered for all 3. I call shenanigans.
ScionWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScionWolf For This Useful Post:
lupindub (02-19-2019), Summerwolf (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #918
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Why? What would it prove? To track failures without knowing the number of successes is dirty data. It is worse than meaningless since it does not consider all the possibilities. Even if we could track the failures vs the successes on here it would still be meaningless since we are just too small a sample size to compile any form of accurate statistics.
It is indisputable that there have been some problems but to emphasize those issues while ignoring the successes is nothing but fear mongering and irresponsible.
Everybody needs to just take a step back, take a big breath and relax. Going on a quest to find issues only will result in finding only the issues and not the reality of the situation.
Not trying to prove anything but just for interest sake and to organize the post coming in about the issue. The more info we gather from members the better informed we all are. Nothing wrong with that.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-19-2019), Tcoat (02-19-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 04:06 AM   #919
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

You needed that!

humfrz
But if the "new springs" don't break , then there must be some difference to the
"old springs" that break!
Different alloy,different heat treatment,stiffer or what?
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #920
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
But if the "new springs" don't break , then there must be some difference to the
"old springs" that break!
Different alloy,different heat treatment,stiffer or what?
Different metal probably. They are not going to change the power of the car one way or the other. Especially to any level you will see on a dyno.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #921
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Different metal probably. They are not going to change the power of the car one way or the other. Especially to any level you will see on a dyno.

Well we have one report of someone that had a broken spring and didn’t know it. Not sure how a valve that is floating wouldn’t impact performance. Although I think the dealer is full of shit that the spring was broken when they received the car. They probably botched the job and blew the engine after doing the recall and then claimed the spring was already broken on arrival so they could fix all the damage they caused on Toyota’s tab rather than their own.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #922
Tcoat

Broken spring is a different matter. The request made was if anybody had before and after dynos with the new springs to see if there was a drop in power. There would not be and measurable (or even unmeasurable) difference in power from some valve springs.
Summerwolf (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #923
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
If the fix is quoted at 2 days and it takes them 30.... they're covering 30 days. (IMO). Not your fault they can't do things correctly. Take it up the chain.

Subaru did a timing belt for me on my old forester, one part apparently wasn't in stock and it took them 4 days total. I had a new legacy for 4 days, no charge, and a smile upon return. It depends on the dealer, but this particular issue is a major recall.... someone is covering a rental.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #924
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
So, if this recall is mandated by the NHTSA, theres a good change there WILL NOT be a recall in every country outside USA. On the other hand, some countries might follow suit. I guess it`s a waiting game..
Actually it wasn't mandated by the NHTSA, Subaru notified the NHTSA they were doing a voluntary recall.

Quote:
: From the Recall On November 1, 2018, Subaru filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of their intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall on 2013 model year Scion FR-S vehicles.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-20-2019), wbradley (02-21-2019)