follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM   #617
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That's because the head goes out of spec as it breaks in. That's part of my argument in favor of service over replacement. How could I, as a customer, offer to pay straight time extra to shim the valves?
If they are replacing the springs, I would imagine they need to re-shim/check valve clearance as part of the install.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #618
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
If they are replacing the springs, I would imagine they need to re-shim/check valve clearance as part of the install.
Toyota instructs the tech only to keep the parts sorted for reassembly. :/
Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #619
FRS_Ken
((•||=(86)=||•))

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT; '13 Yaris
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I got my recall notice last week .(
They’ll have to wait until Spring when the csrcomes out of hibernation
Cusco Suspension Braces | Eibach F & R sway bars | aFe/Takeda Intake | GReddy EVO3 | D2 RS Sport Coil-overs | TSW Interlagos | Centric Front Discs | Hawk HP+ (F) / HPS (R) | Goodrich SS brake lines | TSW & OZ Racing wheels | Continental & Hankook tires | JDP CF Front Lip | Rexspeed CF ground-effects kit | APR CF parts | Winjet headlights & fog lights | Valenti Smoked Reverse | TOM's LED taillights | CF interior upgrades | LED upgrades | and much more
FRS_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #620
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
So I have a June 2013 build date car, but haven’t received anything in the mail and the dealership says I have “no open recalls”

Should I keep calling to confirm or does that mean I’m in the clear?
I also have a June '13 build date car. My guess is that since a lot of the early production model issues were resolved starting in May '13 builds (pretty sure it was May, could have been June) that we fell just on the other side of the cutoff date.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #621
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I received my recall on Saturday. I just scheduled my appointment with Longo Toyota for next week.They need 7 days to get the parts. This where I bought the car and Longo has the biggest & best service department. A recall like this, I only trust them to the work. Even though I live closer to other dealers. They said it will take 4 to 5 hours to complete.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #622
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
here is the recall schema and HowTo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uUi...ew?usp=sharing
Thanks for sharing! These instructions are significantly more detailed than the standard manual. In particular the illustrations for the packing seal. They also have specify a new SST that is used as a guide for installing the cam plate and timing cover. When I did my timing cover I told myself I would make some guide bolts if I could do it all over.

Looks like they are doing everything they can to minimize the chances of people coming back with problems after the fix.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-07-2019), RallySport (01-08-2019), Trap63 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #623
microSDHC

Drives: '13 FR-S 6AT (Argento)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafrs View Post
its monday so i guess there's not much to do now but show up for the appointment. I wouldnt be handing over my keys until i knew the dealer was aware they were removing the engine and replacing all 16 springs.
Dropped my FR-S off at Stevens Creek Toyota today. Double checked with the service advisor about the scope of the work and he agreed that it would not be a 4hr job. It's a big job and I was told that it may take 2-3 weeks. They have to order some parts. They gave me a 2019 loaner corolla free of charge. I also asked to have my spark plugs changed and my timing cover power washed to remove all the sludge from the oil leaks.

Fingers crossed that everything goes well...
microSDHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to microSDHC For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #624
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafrs View Post
that is...thorough.

reading through that, add-on services in order of simplicity:

- cam plates (MT - they already take these off)
- serpentine belt (they take it off)
- motor mounts (the engine is out)
- spark plugs (coil packs are removed)
- engine components (chain, heads, forged rockers, etc)
- clutch work (will be accessible on engine)
- header replacement (exhaust manifold will be detached from engine)
- direct injectors (engine out makes this easier, but intake manifold stays on for the recall work)
- transmission work (TOB/clutch fork) (i'm assuming a dealer would insist on dropping the transmission for this, not working on it under the car)
This was going to be my next question after looking at everything involved. Who here is going to do more "while you're in there" work?

I'm at 50k miles, so the spark plugs are an obvious addition.

Meanwhile, the manual doesn't call for timing chain or hose replacement for the "life" of the car, but is anyone else considering just having them replace all of that with new since it's all coming off anyway?

I do have the clutch fork squeak, so that may be worth having them fix while in there.

I noticed the automatics need some of the suspension disassembled, but not the manuals. I've got the tie rod groan going on, so I thought about adding that to the list. Mine's a manual though so probably no break there.

On the flip-side, I know it can be dangerous to pile too much into one service because it gets easier for stuff to get missed.

What's the internet think?
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #625
Bunsin
Car Goes Bang

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
This was going to be my next question after looking at everything involved. Who here is going to do more "while you're in there" work?

I'm at 50k miles, so the spark plugs are an obvious addition.

Meanwhile, the manual doesn't call for timing chain or hose replacement for the "life" of the car, but is anyone else considering just having them replace all of that with new since it's all coming off anyway?

I do have the clutch fork squeak, so that may be worth having them fix while in there.

I noticed the automatics need some of the suspension disassembled, but not the manuals. I've got the tie rod groan going on, so I thought about adding that to the list. Mine's a manual though so probably no break there.

On the flip-side, I know it can be dangerous to pile too much into one service because it gets easier for stuff to get missed.

What's the internet think?

I'm in this boat as well (45K). I have a leaking cam carrier seal so that one is obvious, but adding that to an already loaded Toyota tech who has likely done 1 of these repairs may be asking for problems. Still biggest issue is if they will do this with all the mods attached. I really don't want to take them off just to have an inexperienced tech fill the engine up with pieces of used gasket if they are not careful enough. What is worse, spinning a bearing due to pieces of junk in the oil or risking a valve spring failure?... Anybody got a coin I can borrow?
Bunsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #626
squall leonhart
kuro kitsune

Drives: 2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsin View Post
I'm in this boat as well (45K). I have a leaking cam carrier seal so that one is obvious, but adding that to an already loaded Toyota tech who has likely done 1 of these repairs may be asking for problems. Still biggest issue is if they will do this with all the mods attached. I really don't want to take them off just to have an inexperienced tech fill the engine up with pieces of used gasket if they are not careful enough. What is worse, spinning a bearing due to pieces of junk in the oil or risking a valve spring failure?... Anybody got a coin I can borrow?
For what it's worth - it seems from the procedure that they won't be giving this job to any inexperienced techs. At least it's clearly spelled out to the dealership that they shouldn't.

I'm a bit apprehensive myself though. I've never had any work done at my (current) local Toyota.
squall leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #627
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
here is the recall schema and HowTo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uUi...ew?usp=sharing
148 pages and what looks like a million steps and pieces. Too many opportunities to mess something up!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM   #628
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
While there is always the opportunity for screw-ups I'm not as worried about that honestly. It behooves Toyota to do this right because it's going to cost them far more if they screw it up. Assuming you're going to a larger dealer I'd think you should be fine.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #629
NIKOLA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So, I got my recall notice today for my 2013 FR-S built in September 2012. My problem is that I have a Sprintex Super Charger on my car. No heat exchanger connected to complicate matters. However, it is a significant mod. I have more than 45000 miles on my car and the super charger has been on the car since April 2017. About one year after my 3 year warranty ended.

The question is, "will Toyota honor the recall on my car regardless of the fact that I have a supercharger on it?" After all, the "presumed" problem with the valve springs were from the very beginning well before I added a super charger on the car. It has been running smoothly nonetheless since I don't push crazy boost. Do I go in for the recall???
Currently driving a Sprintex Supercharged FR-S in Ultramarine with an Invidia N1 Catback with Catless Front Pipe, Invidia Over Pipe, Injen Catless 4:1 EL Headers, Perrin Aluminum Drive Pulley & Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft. Also, looking to upgrade wheels someday to Enkei PF01's (17x8's).
NIKOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #630
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKOLA View Post
So, I got my recall notice today for my 2013 FR-S built in September 2012. My problem is that I have a Sprintex Super Charger on my car. No heat exchanger connected to complicate matters. However, it is a significant mod. I have more than 45000 miles on my car and the super charger has been on the car since April 2017. About one year after my 3 year warranty ended.

The question is, "will Toyota honor the recall on my car regardless of the fact that I have a supercharger on it?" After all, the "presumed" problem with the valve springs were from the very beginning well before I added a super charger on the car. It has been running smoothly nonetheless since I don't push crazy boost. Do I go in for the recall???
Recall ≠ warranty. Ultimately, the dealer has the final say whether they want to take your car in or not, but you're technically entitled to the recall repair regardless of your warranty status.
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KL For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-08-2019), NIKOLA (01-09-2019)