follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #267
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlives View Post
I went with Weir Performance fd. $300 for FD and solid Pinion Spacer
How you ordered it? I tryed on website but i dont see something like buy it now. Oh and i did not see paypal
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #268
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was thinking the opposite - stock car makes decent power all the way to redline (at least with a proper tune), the longer intake runners essentially 'compress' the torque curve so your top end drops just a wee bit after 7000 but you get a meatier torque curve after 5500.

I had these at one point and was planning to install with my long tube EL headers (good bump in torque 3500-5000 and then again 6000+), and was thinking the combo of those two when tuned by someone who knows how to optimize for both would be a great combo. I'd think the biggest differences would be in cam timing to optimize for both.

E85 ups knock resistance and has some cooling effects - maybe ignition timing changes & cooling affect cam timing/overlap?

Either way I decided to go FI so there the blocks and long tube header don't really make as much of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
On a stock car stock tune The block shift the power band lower in the rpm range and can make a little more peak power as they shift the power band to where the engine is working more efficiently , stock.

Once you get tunes and headers then your usually chamging cam timings and also shifting where the engine is most efficient , this is often higher in the rpm range so the block work against this unless your headers and cam timings are designed to work with the blocks. Same deal with E85 it makes good power through the rpm band but does well over 5500, and the efficiency of engines with the blocks is starting to drop off past that rpm range unless you have made other specific changes to suit the blocks.

So in generall the blocks work well on stock untuned cars and their effectivness drops off as you add other mods

if your going to use blocks then you might be better with something like an ACE CS 400 header which is also designed for low midrange torque

talk to your tuner, see what they recomend
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #269
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
I was thinking the opposite - stock car makes decent power all the way to redline (at least with a proper tune), the longer intake runners essentially 'compress' the torque curve so your top end drops just a wee bit after 7000 but you get a meatier torque curve after 5500.

I had these at one point and was planning to install with my long tube EL headers (good bump in torque 3500-5000 and then again 6000+), and was thinking the combo of those two when tuned by someone who knows how to optimize for both would be a great combo. I'd think the biggest differences would be in cam timing to optimize for both.

E85 ups knock resistance and has some cooling effects - maybe ignition timing changes & cooling affect cam timing/overlap?

Either way I decided to go FI so there the blocks and long tube header don't really make as much of a difference.
Guy did some dyno testing here , for sure if you get specific tune for blocks and pick your header chararataristis to suit should work well

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62007
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (12-30-2016)
Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #270
kitlives

Drives: 2013 Gt86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
How you ordered it? I tryed on website but i dont see something like buy it now. Oh and i did not see paypal
shoot them an email with what you want to order. theyll give you a quote and their paypal email to send payment. theyre quick in shipping once they receive your payment. I know theyre busy so it make take a few days to respond to your email but they will respond to it. thats how I ordered it. or you can call them
kitlives is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kitlives For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-03-2017)