follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
Djratrap

Drives: BRZ CSB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Best Dash Cam

I recently had a run in with the Ruston PD for "not stopping" at a stop sign and have now decided to purchase a dash cam. It's always a good feeling to have an officer make up a traffic offense(fucking bullshit) when you are driving as you should. I was wondering if any of you guys are running dash cams and or had some recommendations.
Djratrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My DR400 crapped out on me so I won't recommend that one. I've considered replacing it with the DR550 but I'm not sure. It would be nice to have a rear facing camera as well.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
OoLong
#TeamAURA

Drives: BRZ Limited Lighting Red '13
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djratrap View Post
I recently had a run in with the Ruston PD for "not stopping" at a stop sign and have now decided to purchase a dash cam. It's always a good feeling to have an officer make up a traffic offense(fucking bullshit) when you are driving as you should. I was wondering if any of you guys are running dash cams and or had some recommendations.
Same thing happened to me and it was such a BS "quota needs to meet" ticket... I've been using the DR550 and it is pretty nice since you get the rear feed also.
OoLong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OoLong For This Useful Post:
Djratrap (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoLong View Post
Same thing happened to me and it was such a BS "quota needs to meet" ticket... I've been using the DR550 and it is pretty nice since you get the rear feed also.
I just looked what's new out there and the reviews were good. I just "primed" a 550 on Amazon. Looking forward to having a rear camera too.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
[ame]http://youtu.be/Eo76bkytA3o[/ame]
I've put one of these in my car as very much an entry level experience into dash cams.
It's been in my car for 2 months now in ridiculous Georgia heat and still functions flawlessly. Actually takes fantastic video, sound quality is so-so, and it is insanely cheap.
Got 2 of them off ebay for $130 shipped. Incredibly easy to install in the FRS due to our hidden 12 volt plug in the glove box. You literally run the power line, suction cup the mount, put in the MicroSD and forget about it. Even used mine for a few group ride videos.
I actually had it installed for about 3 days and got pulled over for running a stop sign. Reviewed back while the cop was running my ID and l couldn't remember for the life of me even seeing a stop sign. But as it turned out l did actually go thru a stop sign , where there wasn't a soul around for miles at about 2 mph. You could even hear the car almost stall out l was going so slow when l dumped the clutch to start off.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mooseknuckle44 For This Useful Post:
Djratrap (07-08-2014), husker741 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post

I've put one of these in my car as very much an entry level experience into dash cams.
It's been in my car for 2 months now in ridiculous Georgia heat and still functions flawlessly. Actually takes fantastic video, sound quality is so-so, and it is insanely cheap.
Got 2 of them off ebay for $130 shipped. Incredibly easy to install in the FRS due to our hidden 12 volt plug in the glove box. You literally run the power line, suction cup the mount, put in the MicroSD and forget about it. Even used mine for a few group ride videos.
I actually had it installed for about 3 days and got pulled over for running a stop sign. Reviewed back while the cop was running my ID and l couldn't remember for the life of me even seeing a stop sign. But as it turned out l did actually go thru a stop sign , where there wasn't a soul around for miles at about 2 mph. You could even hear the car almost stall out l was going so slow when l dumped the clutch to start off.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Does it record at all when the car is off?
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Curious, what are the ages of ya'll that have been given bullshit tickets for running stop signs/red lights? I'm in my 40s, and have never had a cop give me a totally fabricated ticket. I have been given a couple tickets for not completely stopping at stop signs, but I admittedly performed rolling stops, taking off when I saw no cross-traffic.

BTW, if that is all you are trying to avoid, you don't need the "best dash cam". A $50-100 dash cam would give you great value. Check out techmoan's youtube channel or website.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
Curious, what are the ages of ya'll that have been given bullshit tickets for running stop signs/red lights? I'm in my 40s, and have never had a cop give me a totally fabricated ticket. I have been given a couple tickets for not completely stopping at stop signs, but I admittedly performed rolling stops, taking off when I saw no cross-traffic.

BTW, if that is all you are trying to avoid, you don't need the "best dash cam". A $50-100 dash cam would give you great value. Check out techmoan's youtube channel or website.

I'm 31. I did "rolling stop" so l didn't argue. It was still bullshit and they were just fillin their quota.

As for recording when the car is off, it does not. But that is REALLY an unnecessary feature. There's only a few things you MIGHT capture with that, but even then identity of a person(s) that may do something to your car would be fairly hard to find out. They'd have to be incredibly careless/unaware to get caught screwing up your car. You get a fairly limited viewing angle with all these cams. Only about 15% of the viewable area from the camera. So 85% of your car would still be exposed. I'd honestly pass on that feature. That and GPS. It's another waste of money imo.
That video l posted was from Techmoan byw. Dude does great reviews.

2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mooseknuckle44 For This Useful Post:
husker741 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
husker741
Banned

Quote:
I'm 31. I did "rolling stop" so l didn't argue. It was still bullshit and they were just fillin their quota.

As for recording when the car is off, it does not. But that is REALLY an unnecessary feature. There's only a few things you MIGHT capture with that, but even then identity of a person(s) that may do something to your car would be fairly hard to find out. They'd have to be incredibly careless/unaware to get caught screwing up your car. You get a fairly limited viewing angle with all these cams. Only about 15% of the viewable area from the camera. So 85% of your car would still be exposed. I'd honestly pass on that feature. That and GPS. It's another waste of money imo.
That video l posted was from Techmoan byw. Dude does great reviews.

What is the motion detection feature in the specs from this article?

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/
Old 07-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
What is the motion detection feature in the specs from this article?

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/g1w-gs108/
I'm not 100% sure. These camera's are so easily "knocked off" by chinese competitors that I think I got one of the knock offs. Mine doesn't show a
motion detection option in any of the menus. But it's very easy to use.
Fairly easy to navigate the menu options and since you'll find out that 98% of the time your driving around nothing happens anyways, it's really just a cheap form of piece of mind in the unlikely event you're in an accident or being accused of committing a traffic crime.
Mine has honestly been more for group rides. Which is still kinda silly since I'm almost always leading. LOL.

I'd say you won't be dissappointed with it. And even if you are you're literally out less than $100 and a few minutes of install time.
If you do get this one keep in mind, you WILL need to get your own recording media as it does not come with one. It says explicitly, several times that it will not operate with a Class 10 Micro SD. Only Class 4 or 6.
I picked up some cheapish class 4's on amazon. All in all I have less than $160 in 2 of them. I haven't installed the 2nd one in my DD yet cause I'm lazy. I'm more concerned with the FRS anyways.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/G1W-C-1080P-H-264-Capacitor-Model/dp/B00JJ3SQRI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404829125&sr=8-5&keywords=G1W"]Amazon.com : G1W-C Full HD 1080P H.264 Capacitor Model - No Battery | Ships from USA | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | Authentic NT96550 + AR0330 : Car Electronics[/ame]

I believe this is the exact one I ordered. There are others on Amazon that are even cheaper than this. But so far, 2 months in, I can say that this product from this vendor is good. At least one of the two is. I doubt I luckily picked the good one of the 2 to put in my ride though.
Again, Hope all this helps. I promise when someone gets in your ride that's never seen one before, you'll have instant 20 minute conversation.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
husker741
Banned

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure. These camera's are so easily "knocked off" by chinese competitors that I think I got one of the knock offs. Mine doesn't show a
motion detection option in any of the menus. But it's very easy to use.
Fairly easy to navigate the menu options and since you'll find out that 98% of the time your driving around nothing happens anyways, it's really just a cheap form of piece of mind in the unlikely event you're in an accident or being accused of committing a traffic crime.
Mine has honestly been more for group rides. Which is still kinda silly since I'm almost always leading. LOL.

I'd say you won't be dissappointed with it. And even if you are you're literally out less than $100 and a few minutes of install time.
If you do get this one keep in mind, you WILL need to get your own recording media as it does not come with one. It says explicitly, several times that it will not operate with a Class 10 Micro SD. Only Class 4 or 6.
I picked up some cheapish class 4's on amazon. All in all I have less than $160 in 2 of them. I haven't installed the 2nd one in my DD yet cause I'm lazy. I'm more concerned with the FRS anyways.
That article I posted recommends this one, or for a little more, the Mini 0801. Either of them seem like good, cheaper choices. The only issue I have is that I would have to hard wire it because my DRL LED strips are wired to my cigarette lighter in the glove compartment, so no more power comes through that.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Mooseknuckle44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
That article I posted recommends this one, or for a little more, the Mini 0801. Either of them seem like good, cheaper choices. The only issue I have is that I would have to hard wire it because my DRL LED strips are wired to my cigarette lighter in the glove compartment, so no more power comes through that.
Since getting to the 12V plugs wiring in the center console is so easy, you may be able to splice into that and run a wire up thru the console-behind the dash and add a 12V plug that way. If you're wiring savvy that is. Iwouldn't think that would be ALL that hard to do. And accessory plugs are pretty cheap too. Or maybe even run the cameras power cord across the headliner and down a door pillar and run another accessory plug from the center console that way. Your options are limitless with a little imagination.

Edit. I want to say the camera's power cord is pretty long, 10+ feet.

Good Luck bro.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mooseknuckle44 For This Useful Post:
husker741 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
husker741
Banned

Quote:
Since getting to the 12V plugs wiring in the center console is so easy, you may be able to splice into that and run a wire up thru the console-behind the dash and add a 12V plug that way. If you're wiring savvy that is. Iwouldn't think that would be ALL that hard to do. And accessory plugs are pretty cheap too. Or maybe even run the cameras power cord across the headliner and down a door pillar and run another accessory plug from the center console that way. Your options are limitless with a little imagination.

Edit. I want to say the camera's power cord is pretty long, 10+ feet.

Good Luck bro.
One of the things I want the parking mode for is when it's at the dealer

So I'm looking at other ones right now, but I appreciate all your info on yours. I wonder if it would plug into the USB port in the car?