follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
brzmaybe

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Aftermarket Sources

So, what web sites should I be trolling to catch the first wave of aftermarket items for the BRZ? And who has a reputation for getting it right the first time?

Is there Subaru-oriented a company like Flyin' Miata that makes a business of becoming an authority on parts and mods the hard way... by practicing what they preach and then publishing the results?
brzmaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yup, there are many of us who make Subaru specific parts. What components are you looking to pick up? I can point in the right direction...though you won't see anything for a while. Several of us are trying to convince SOA to pre-release a car for dimensioning purposes...and access to the ECU.

Right now only GReddy (blah) and Crawford (only plugged into the ECU) have been able to touch one, so don't expect to see much before the car is released. SOA seems to be pretty up tight on this one.

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 12-23-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
brzmaybe

Drives: Subaru
Boomer's Aftermarket Shopping List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
Yup, there are many of us who make Subaru specific parts. What components are you looking to pick up? I can point in the right direction...though you won't see anything for a while. Several of us are trying to convince SOA to pre-release a car for dimensioning purposes...and access to the ECU.
I'd like to do some auto crossing at first. From memory, I think that means tires and rims, different compound bushings, and maybe camber plates. And a good data logger.

For track days I think the list becomes more expansive. First on my list is keeping things cool and safe... different compound tires and brake pads, upgraded brake lines, and perhaps an oil cooler. I suspect that the BRZ suspension was, ultimately, built to a price, and so perhaps another combination of bars, shocks and struts, adjustable to be able to do some corner weighting. After that... probably some more power, in a progressive fashion. Without knowing more about the car, I'd start with an exhaust upgrade, move to a reflash, and then consider whether it's possible to reliably produce enough streetable power to evolve the BRZ from a momentum car to a power steered car.

Other than that, I'd be waiting to see what's weak on the production cars. Clutch? synchro cones? suspension tower bracing? I just don't know...

If there were a fun factor gauge, I'd buy one right away to make sure I never lost sight of the most important metric...

I think that's in keeping with a baby boomer who fondly remembers weekends dodging cones and pilgrimages to the regional track to watch the car club members. And I bet there are lots like me.
brzmaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
If the brake speculations are true (using STI) 5X100 components then I am working on a solution for complete kits OEM and aftermarket.

Also, HID kids, and LED lighting (I know exciting stuff)

Importing GT86 parts from the UK

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^^brakes are the easy part. They're all off the shelf parts that anyone can source. Front lines may need to be a tad long but I doubt it.

As for suspesion components (bushings, braces and all) check Turn In Concepts. Also follow them for control arms, probably made by MSI but they retail their parts. They'll also be carrying 3MI Racing engine components/parts (as it's finally going public from its former tailored prototype parts past)...but known in circles on NASIOC.

I see Race Comp Engineering is on here and I ought to shoot them a message about guinea pigging their springs (no doubt they'll release those and maybe swaybars too), since I'm local.

I suspect Crawford is going to have reflashes (eh) unless they develop something to compete with the accessport. So watch Cobb there. Being it's a Subaru, I'd really wait to see what open source comes about for it.

I'm still trying to get access to plug into one as I'm really more concerned about how much room the injectors have and whether or not the D4-S runs a pressure sensor on the common rail. Also what Deatchwerks for injectors. I'll be pulling some OEM fuel injector connections for higher flow GDI injectors.

I already plans for NA and FI development for ths platform. I'm heavily leaning towards a Rotrex for packaging and driveability of the car, plus an OEM FAxx turbo setup is going to be released. I suspect FA16DIT for BRZ and FA20DIT for the WRX.

...Your 'local' engine geek

-Micah

Last edited by Homemade WRX; 12-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
You are right brake kits are "off the shelf" but having a "dealer lic./connection" I can work deals and have a comprehensive package for people vs them having to go to A,B,C,D to get all the parts

1 stop shop is key lol another reason I dislike some of the BMW parts guys

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
AgentOrange
Powered by B O X E R

Drives: '08 WRB FXT Sports
I want to see awesome results if and ever Cobb Tuning jumps on this platform. And Robispec for suspension tuning as well.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
You are right brake kits are "off the shelf" but having a "dealer lic./connection" I can work deals and have a comprehensive package for people vs them having to go to A,B,C,D to get all the parts

1 stop shop is key lol another reason I dislike some of the BMW parts guys
All they need are STI calipers (new or used) from an 04-07 (or 08? whichever), 04 STI Rotors and pads for the STI caliper. Unless the banjo fitting components (ie, banjo 'housing' differences or bolt diameter, etc) are of a different design then the stock lines will work fine with the setup.

With that much extra fluid moving brake pedal feel might go to shit though, in which case a bigger MC may be needed.

Since Rotors are easily available for cheap from Napa/Autozone/Advanced and pads are a pretty personal choice depending on needs I really don't see much benefit in bundles with those parts, you'd have to stock so many parts I can't see it being worthwhile, and I certainly wouldn't buy a bundle unless you had exactly every part I wanted for significantly less than I could source the parts myself (and I doubt that, you'd have to buy in massive quantities or just offer a monospec than potentially few people would want).

The only thing I could see being hard to source are good used STI calipers.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
Yup, there are many of us who make Subaru specific parts.
You've alluded to this a handful of times in your posts. You've also mentioned you consult with OEM's, which rules out virtually all aftermarket. So who do you work for?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You've alluded to this a handful of times in your posts. You've also mentioned you consult with OEM's, which rules out virtually all aftermarket. So who do you work for?
3MI Racing.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
All they need are STI calipers (new or used) from an 04-07 (or 08? whichever), 04 STI Rotors and pads for the STI caliper. Unless the banjo fitting components (ie, banjo 'housing' differences or bolt diameter, etc) are of a different design then the stock lines will work fine with the setup.

With that much extra fluid moving brake pedal feel might go to shit though, in which case a bigger MC may be needed.

Since Rotors are easily available for cheap from Napa/Autozone/Advanced and pads are a pretty personal choice depending on needs I really don't see much benefit in bundles with those parts, you'd have to stock so many parts I can't see it being worthwhile, and I certainly wouldn't buy a bundle unless you had exactly every part I wanted for significantly less than I could source the parts myself (and I doubt that, you'd have to buy in massive quantities or just offer a monospec than potentially few people would want).

The only thing I could see being hard to source are good used STI calipers.
OK did some more research.. since this is mostly a WRX system (with Legacy rears..) it LOOKS like 04-11 front STI calipers will work. Stock lines will also work. Not sure about the MC differences (no idea if it's a new part, wrx, legacy, sti, etc MC). We will have to figure that out later when we can check part numbers.

The rear of the car is a little more muddy.. the later WRXes aren't a direct swap, but I'm not sure about the Legacy brakes to STI.. based on MotoIQ they were stressing 04-07 calipers for all and I suspect it's because the Legacy and 04-07 WRX were swappable.. but 08+ rears are not.. for 08+ WRX you need 04-11 front STI calipers and 04 rotors but for the rear you need 08+ gear and redrilled rotors... but based on MotoIQ I'll go with this info on the rear for now.

So this, as far as I can tell, is the actual parts list required.
Front: 04-11 STI Front calipers, 04 STI Rotors, 04-11 STI fit front pads of whatever flavor you want.
Rear: 04-07 STI rear calipers, 04 STI Rotors, 04-07 STI fit rear pads of whatever flavor you want. (and more if you like having a parking brake since the STI uses a drum assembly for the parking brake where the FT86 variants use the sliding calipers for parking brake I'm guessing based on how the legacy/older WRX did)

Since the rotors and pads are easily aquired the only potentially hard bit (used) is the calipers. It looks like you can find them on ebay for 1000-1100 plus 30-135 shipping. If you want to rebuild them, add in the rebuild kit costs (100-150?). Add in however much for whatever pads, plus the rotors (cheap at autozone, 65/front, 40/rear, advance is 100+/front, didn't check rears, napa ultra premium is 154 front, 140 rear, tirerack cyro rotors 80-104 depending on brand for blanks.. and maybe that's same pricing for rears, their website is confused, says front left fitment then NOTE: REAR PLAIN VENTER ROTOR under that..).

So you are easily looking at at least say 1050+200 (OEM pads?, but track pads will be a lot more, around 400-450), rotors figure 200 for the cheap autozones, for anyone else at LEAST 400..

So I'd guess the minimum investment (not including lines since they aren't needed at all and ASSUMING the MC is fine and doesn't result in shitty brake feel) is right around 1400-1500 bucks, but realistically probably close to 1600-1800 depending on pads. If you rebuild the used calipers min 1500-1650 or with non cheapest rotors and better than OEM pads probably 1800-2000. With new calipers I'd bet a couple hundread more depending on what they cost.. I think they are around 1200 for the fronts.. I'd GUESS 600-800 for the rears, so you are quickly getting to 3k with new calipers, track pads, rotors like ultra premiums, etc

Oh yeah I guessed on OEM pad prices.. they might be way around 100 for front and rear sets combined, or maybe 300.. I don't know what dealers sell parts online for cheap to check (I'm assuming some Subaru dealers have caught onto internet sales for parts).

Worth it? Up to the owner I suppose... certainly there is no performance benefit here for street use, but repeated high speed stops on the track MAY be enough to overheat the stock brakes with a lot of power and rubber and in that case the large STI heatsinks will be worth it.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'd really like Cosworth to make a full NA rebuild to get 260-280 HP with redline at at least 8.000 RPM. This thanks to forged internals, ITB's,... Dry sump would also be nice. The poblem is the price. 10.000 € is the high maximum.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
MrVito
Grumpy Old Man

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S, 2010 Tundra, 80 626
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dave-ROR is right on the money with pricing. At that point, I'd rather just buy a Stoptech 328mm rotor setup which will weigh significantly less than the very heavy STI Brembos, and be brand spanking new.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
MrVito
Grumpy Old Man

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S, 2010 Tundra, 80 626
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Additionally, a better front brake option may be the 06-07 WRX calipers. They can be cleared by 16" wheels. They're under $700 for the pair ( http://www.gotboostinc.com/su4frbrcasuw.html ), they use the same line fitting as stock sliders. 4 pot monoblock, and it uses the same pad sizes from 02-11 WRX's, huge aftermarket support there. The WRX uses a 295mm vented rotor, and I wouldn't be surprised if the AS1 does as well. I also know that the 4 pots don't suffer from mushy-pedal-syndrome when paired with a stock WRX MC which pushes the same sliding calipers that appear to be on the AS1. To be fair, this does nothing to address rotor size, but if people are all that concerned with actual braking force, this may be a slightly more cost effective option.