follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #4145
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
alright ill try asking again. I'm trying to gauge my options here, I need to figure out a solution to where to run my oil temp and pressure gauge sensors. Ive only heard bad things about the kraftwerks oil sandwich plate so id rather avoid that. should I just run the sensors to the block? or is there another sandwich plate I can use?

I asked this question to kraftwerks and to no surprise I got "Our sandwich adapter can be found here: http://skunk2.com/brz-frs-oil-filter...ooler-kit.html. As far as leaking, we have not had any issues with that."
lol wow. they straight lied to you about that. i emailed them before about that problem and they thought I had a pre production model and i didn't. after their "fix" and sending me their o-rings it still failed...

Take a look at what I did. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23

The above doesn't solve your oil sensor port problems. but this should:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=4

do what batstig did in the link above and that will solve your problem.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #4146
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I just ordered the upgraded 30MM belt system. Does it change the sound any? No retune required?
no sound change. no re-tune required all it is the width that is changing. How wide the pulley is. the diameter isn't changing. if the diameter changed than that would require a retune.
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Helios (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #4147
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Drives: FRS RS1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
lol wow. they straight lied to you about that. i emailed them before about that problem and they thought I had a pre production model and i didn't. after their "fix" and sending me their o-rings it still failed...

Take a look at what I did. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23

The above doesn't solve your oil sensor port problems. but this should:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=4

do what batstig did in the link above and that will solve your problem.

Ah so the TRD plate DOES fit with the kraftwerks kit? thats what i was unaware of lol
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #4148
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Ah so the TRD plate DOES fit with the kraftwerks kit? thats what i was unaware of lol
you're probably gonna have to get a low profile oil cap like the perrin one I have. or take a dremel and shave off the top of the yellow oil cap to make it flat.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #4149
MartyMcfly

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I picked up one of these thin oil caps. It works, and is about half the cost of the Perrin:
Custom billet aluminum oil filler cap for Scion FRS Subaru BRZ 2013. http://r.ebay.com/odBsKa

MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartyMcfly For This Useful Post:
JoeeStacks (03-19-2018), Super Dave (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #4150
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Drives: FRS RS1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
I picked up one of these thin oil caps. It works, and is about half the cost of the Perrin:
Custom billet aluminum oil filler cap for Scion FRS Subaru BRZ 2013. http://r.ebay.com/odBsKa
are you running a sandwich plate by any chance?
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #4151
MartyMcfly

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
are you running a sandwich plate by any chance?
Yes. I have the motul setup. bottom to top: spacer->sensor plate->oil cooler plate

It works. The key is to no leaks is to have good gaskets, and set them up properly. double-ring facing up and the convex side facing down, all gaskets inserted into the bottom side of each plate. Depending on which bolts they come with, you'll need a socket somewhere in the 25-27mm range. I tightened mine down snug, but not too tight. sorry, I'm too lazy to use a torque wrench sometimes.

MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #4152
JoeeStacks

Drives: Brz
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Broke my first belt yesterday. It was a 30mm belt on around 9000 miles. I think it was due to a pulley bearing going bad, it was making some audible noise then a snap. The belt was snaked around the supercharger pulleys so it stopped the charger from spinning, but it took out the rotrex inline filter as it happened.
Gonna rip apart the supercharger bracket and see which pulleys need to be replaced. Douglas @ Kraftwerks was very helpful during this ordeal.
JoeeStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeeStacks For This Useful Post:
MartyMcfly (04-22-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #4153
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeStacks View Post
Broke my first belt yesterday. It was a 30mm belt on around 9000 miles. I think it was due to a pulley bearing going bad, it was making some audible noise then a snap. The belt was snaked around the supercharger pulleys so it stopped the charger from spinning, but it took out the rotrex inline filter as it happened.
Gonna rip apart the supercharger bracket and see which pulleys need to be replaced. Douglas @ Kraftwerks was very helpful during this ordeal.
I'm sorry to hear that. but honestly I'm not surprised that even their "upgraded" 30mm kit is still snapping belts... Once the pulley bearings fail it's game over. Only a matter of time before the belt starts to get irregular wear because the pulley is not rotating straight, but rather wobbling..... It's a bummer since the rotrex is such a great blower, but the design of not having an auto tensioner is disappointing to say the least. Glad they are taking care of you though.
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
JoeeStacks (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #4154
JoeeStacks

Garage
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. but honestly I'm not surprised that even their "upgraded" 30mm kit is still snapping belts... Once the pulley bearings fail it's game over. Only a matter of time before the belt starts to get irregular wear because the pulley is not rotating straight, but rather wobbling..... It's a bummer since the rotrex is such a great blower, but the design of not having an auto tensioner is disappointing to say the least. Glad they are taking care of you though.
An auto tensioner would be awesome. Hotter days cause more belt dust and colder days the belt is totally fine. The weird thing is that regardless of the weather the belt still twisted 90 degrees.
Hopefully they make a auto tensioner revision (highly doubt it).

Love the rotrex system
Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #4155
Wpomp

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Has anyone had their system gradually increase in volume? I've noticed in the past few weeks that my Supercharger "whine" has become more of a WHINE. With the hood open it is almost unbearable to be near the car, hurts your ears.

Oil looks fine, no discoloration, so doesn't seem like its a lack of oil circulation or anything. Could it be pulley bearings? Any way to lubricate or replace the bearings used? If they are off the shelf bearings and can be pressed out/in that would be rad..

Any input would be super appreciated!

Thanks
Wpomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #4156
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpomp View Post
Has anyone had their system gradually increase in volume? I've noticed in the past few weeks that my Supercharger "whine" has become more of a WHINE. With the hood open it is almost unbearable to be near the car, hurts your ears.

Oil looks fine, no discoloration, so doesn't seem like its a lack of oil circulation or anything. Could it be pulley bearings? Any way to lubricate or replace the bearings used? If they are off the shelf bearings and can be pressed out/in that would be rad..

Any input would be super appreciated!

Thanks
make sure your belt isn't too tight. too tight of a belt will cause the supercharger whine to become audibly louder and you can potentially snap your main supercharger bolt, and too loose of a belt will have almost no audible whine...
Old 05-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #4157
Wpomp

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Quote:
make sure your belt isn't too tight. too tight of a belt will cause the supercharger whine to become audibly louder and you can potentially snap your main supercharger bolt, and too loose of a belt will have almost no audible whine...
Thanks, yeah the first thing I checked was belt tension. Noise was consistent no matter the belt tension.

Been in contact with kraftwerks. Two of my pulleys have a small amount of play/wobble, but spin freely. One has no play, but is a bit tighter and does not spin as freely. Rotrex unit does not have any shaft/impeller play.

Still waiting to hear back from kraftwerks about what they suggest for further diagnosing, but they haven't responded in the few days since I sent the video of the pulleys.

Other than shaft play, any other diagnostic type things that can be done to determine if the rotrex unit is on its way out?
Wpomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #4158
JoeeStacks

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpomp View Post
Thanks, yeah the first thing I checked was belt tension. Noise was consistent no matter the belt tension.

Been in contact with kraftwerks. Two of my pulleys have a small amount of play/wobble, but spin freely. One has no play, but is a bit tighter and does not spin as freely. Rotrex unit does not have any shaft/impeller play.

Still waiting to hear back from kraftwerks about what they suggest for further diagnosing, but they haven't responded in the few days since I sent the video of the pulleys.

Other than shaft play, any other diagnostic type things that can be done to determine if the rotrex unit is on its way out?
Do you have a video of the noise?