follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
At 60k miles, I'd suggest new upper mounts.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Top nuts make noise over smooth pavement as small perturbations make the damper move in the mount. Noise over bumps sounds more like sway bar end link issues. Check for play in your new lca, removing the end links and going for a drive is a surefire way to confirm or eliminate the possibility.

Edit: over 50k miles on my top hats and they look nearly brand new, ignore the flaking of the paint, it's not indicative of wear.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Right, jacked it up. Just felt with hands no wrench, but everything seems to be snug. I felt all the bolts in this picture

Use a wrench. I have tightened plenty of bolts that I thought were "tight" only to get more then a half turn fairly easy and the noise disappeared

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-27-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
Dee

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So thank you all for responses. I have an alignment tomorrow at 2:00, I took off work tomorrow so I can jack the car up and disconnect the end link.

I got under the car (not jacked) and felt the endlink from underneath the control arm. It was kinda close to touching the bottom of the control arm. Is it possible the endlink could be hitting the control arm? Although it was very sturdy

I am thinking of sliding some cardboard between the endlink and the LCA and seeing if it muffles the clunking. But if that does not work I will disconnect it. Correct me if I am wrong but I plan on disconnecting the end link from the bottom of the control arm and zip tying it up somewhere for a short test ride.

Also. After disconnecting what torque spec should I put the endlink back on at?

Last edited by Dee; 02-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #19
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds correct, swing the sway bar and end link up and out of the way and ziptie them so they can't swing back down and jam against anything moving.

Driving over speed bumps or drainage dips at an angle can help diagnose noises. Shock movement noises are usually due to the the top mount developing even a slight amount of play from a nut backing off or something, but strat is correct that the type of movement will tell you a lot about where to look. I'd say a clunk is likely the shock top nut, but a rattling over bumps is more likely an endlink.

Is it possible a spacer or washer or sleeve was left out during the install? If the top nut is tight, could it be tight against the bottom of the threads of its own shaft and not actually compressing the top hat against the shoulder on the shaft? It might feel like there's no play by hand but it only takes a hair when the vehicle's weight is moving that shock shaft back and forth.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
Dee

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Sounds correct, swing the sway bar and end link up and out of the way and ziptie them so they can't swing back down and jam against anything moving.

Driving over speed bumps or drainage dips at an angle can help diagnose noises. Shock movement noises are usually due to the the top mount developing even a slight amount of play from a nut backing off or something, but strat is correct that the type of movement will tell you a lot about where to look. I'd say a clunk is likely the shock top nut, but a rattling over bumps is more likely an endlink.

Is it possible a spacer or washer or sleeve was left out during the install? If the top nut is tight, could it be tight against the bottom of the threads of its own shaft and not actually compressing the top hat against the shoulder on the shaft? It might feel like there's no play by hand but it only takes a hair when the vehicle's weight is moving that shock shaft back and forth.
Me and a buddy tested the endlinks this morning, noise still there. Only thing left to do is try the bushing and check the top mount. Alignment is in a few hours, I may cancel. I know I used all sleeves, I used every nut that was provider. There was no washers so I guess I am good there as well. I wish someone on here with ST coilovers could provide me some information or a checklist.

There is another thread on here, a guy with ST coilovers who had the exact same clunking. I private messaged him and asked him if he ever solved it, he said he just his mechanic torqued it down more and the clunking went away. However i’m afraid to torque much more cause I don’t want to twist or break the stud
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-01-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #21
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey @Dee did you solve this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Me and a buddy tested the endlinks this morning, noise still there. Only thing left to do is try the bushing and check the top mount. Alignment is in a few hours, I may cancel. I know I used all sleeves, I used every nut that was provider. There was no washers so I guess I am good there as well. I wish someone on here with ST coilovers could provide me some information or a checklist.

There is another thread on here, a guy with ST coilovers who had the exact same clunking. I private messaged him and asked him if he ever solved it, he said he just his mechanic torqued it down more and the clunking went away. However i’m afraid to torque much more cause I don’t want to twist or break the stud
steved is offline   Reply With Quote