follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #99
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
The switch transforms your summer tires into snow tires, obviously.
Like the "rollers" in Red Limit Freeway?
Hope one doesnt go "glazed donut" on you...
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #100
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
The switch transforms your summer tires into snow tires, obviously.
Obviously!

Today could not get back up the driveway. Car just slide sideways and almost took out the mail box. Its now sitting in the street and will be left out over night for punishment. No warm cozy garage tonight.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #101
Itzed

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Anyone that can afford snow tires is lucky. I'm a college kid with a part time job so it'll be next winter before I can even buy them for my FR-S. I've been driving to and from school and work and home in the stock summer tires. I'm the like the annoying old lady going 25 mph LMAO
If you were a little older and more mature, like me, you might have considered winter tires and a second set of wheels as part of the purchase price.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #102
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you cannot afford winter tires for your car, you can't afford the car itself.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #103
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
If you cannot afford winter tires for your car, you can't afford the car itself.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she may not have been the one to purchase the car. The fact that she's also from Texas, I woudln't necessarily be thinking of budgeting snow tires down there either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #104
Itzed

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Well my payments on the car are $350 a month, my paychecks are barely $300. Plus I have insurance and food to buy..
Okay, you're forgiven. Sounds like you must have fallen in love, which we all know takes over your entire logic system. Now you need to figure out how to make the relationship last.
Itzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #105
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My hypothesis is confirmed, though I suppose being in Texas means you probably don't really need snow tires. I still stand by my statement, though!
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #106
Poodles

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Yeah, we don't usually get this much snow/sleet/ice this late in the year. I also budgeted for snow tires (most people don't here, that's why everything shuts down when it gets bad here), but used the money cause I thought the season was over. Been sorta lucky that I'm in a rental and the car is in the shop.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #107
Husker BRZ
Go Big Red!!

Drives: 2013 SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I know it wasn't ideal but here in North Texas we got almost 4 inches of snow, and I wasn't planning on having snow in march here just like @Poodles, so I still had the stockers on. I made it to work just fine, it was just a slow go (15 min drive took 1 hour). I did take the time to put extra weight in the trunk as well as a full tank of gas to help. This was the car before I left:
Name:  pictures from phone 009.png
Views: 402
Size:  349.1 KB

I was expecting a lot more adventurous drive but it wasn't bad at all as the back end only slid out when I would have to make an actual turn onto another road.

And yes I know it isn't best case scenario but if you are patient and can be smart about it you can make it around, and of course avoiding other idiots on the road that think 4 wheel drive gives them super powers on ice/snow here in Texas.
Husker BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husker BRZ For This Useful Post:
Lo (03-07-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #108
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea that actually makes me MORE surprised that dealers dont warn them. Because in the end a typical buyer who wrecks because of summer tires in the winter could potentially blame the dealership, like @stugray mentioned.
The problem is that the vast majority of salespeople are exactly the same as these "typical buyers". They don't care any more about tires than the people they're selling the car to. Hell, they care even LESS. Why would they tell the buyer that they'll have to spend another $500 or so on top of the sale price when the weather changes if it means they might lose the sale?
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #109
dodj

Drives: Rallye Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
I also budgeted for snow tires (most people don't here, that's why everything shuts down when it gets bad here),
Actually I'm surprised anybody buys snow tires in Texas. Didn't think you guys got enough snow to last over one night.
My BRZ stock tires have never seen snow and my studded Hankook tires make it the easiest, most predictable car to drive in the snow. You have to turn off the nannies to really enjoy the snow!
Last year I pulled into the dealership to buy some oil filters and there was a BRZ on the original tires. Middle of the lot. 2cm of snow. Driver couldn't get it to move. Just sat there spinning the tires at what sounded like 60mph.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #110
Poodles

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodj View Post
Actually I'm surprised anybody buys snow tires in Texas. Didn't think you guys got enough snow to last over one night.
My BRZ stock tires have never seen snow and my studded Hankook tires make it the easiest, most predictable car to drive in the snow. You have to turn off the nannies to really enjoy the snow!
Last year I pulled into the dealership to buy some oil filters and there was a BRZ on the original tires. Middle of the lot. 2cm of snow. Driver couldn't get it to move. Just sat there spinning the tires at what sounded like 60mph.

Most people don't here, but we also get ICE instead of snow most of the time. It's just that we do occasionally get bad weather and we do stay cold enough for the stock tires to get hard as a rock.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #111
Snazzums

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I live in Central New Jersey, and we've had a few nasty storms, but i havn't had ANY issues at all thanks to my snow tires and two 60 pound sand bags in the trunk.

For the curious, I bought the General Altimax Arctics, and they are wonderful when its under 40 degrees. They are squishy when warm, so plan your tire swaps at the appropriate times. They are also pretty damn cheap to buy, but great quality.
Snazzums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #112
RustyShackleford

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I live in the Northeast (near Philly) and the very first time I drove my BRZ in the snow (winter of 2013-2014) on the factory tires it was ridiculous I slid all over and almost got stuck like 4 times but got around okay.

The next day I ordered a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks and ever since I've had no issues driving in garbage weather. It's still dicey at times but that's just the nature of RWD and this car being so light but at least on snow tires everything the car will do is very predictable so as long as you don't drive like a moron you'll be fine.

Also Snazzums suggestion of sandbags is pretty good. I didn't use sandbags but I have a pair of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells (50 pounds each) and they help out. Honestly you don't need them if you have decent snow tires you'll be fine driving carefully but the extra weight did feel like it made some difference.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote