follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Chattanooga FR-S

Drives: Monogram Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
My car came with two normal keys and one valet key.
What keys should I expect to get with a new Monogram? My understanding is that the "key" will essentially just be a key fob. So I should expect to get 2 of those, right? Is there a "valet fob"? The actual keyhole is plugged/covered on Monograms, right?
Chattanooga FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattanooga FR-S View Post
What keys should I expect to get with a new Monogram? My understanding is that the "key" will essentially just be a key fob. So I should expect to get 2 of those, right? Is there a "valet fob"? The actual keyhole is plugged/covered on Monograms, right?
You will get 2 fobs; no valet. There are physical keys in the fobs that can unlock the driver side door as well as the trunk. I believe that those are the only places where you can use the physical key. No hole in the passenger side door.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
Chattanooga FR-S (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
@AznBRZer is correct. You'll get two keyfobs. Both have a very small emergency key in them used for unlocking the driver side door in case power is ever lost.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jyn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Chattanooga FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
@AznBRZer is correct. You'll get two keyfobs. Both have a very small emergency key in them used for unlocking the driver side door in case power is ever lost.
So if the batteries in the keyfobs die, there is no other way to start the car? Obviously BOTH of them probably wouldn't die at the same time, but just to know?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
So if the batteries in the keyfobs die, there is no other way to start the car? Obviously BOTH of them probably wouldn't die at the same time, but just to know?
Actually, it's TOTALLY possible that they could "die at the same time." There'll be enough residual charge that if you hold the key upto the push-start button that it'll start the car. The batteries only have a life of about 1.5 years regardless of usage because they're constantly transmitting.

All this info is in the manual.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #20
Chattanooga FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
All this info is in the manual.
I am really hoping that the manual gets delivered today or tomorrow... inside my new car!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chattanooga FR-S For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (03-25-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #21
Liliflower

Drives: 2008 FT86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_ View Post
I am also interested in this and have looked on ebay for a replacement key, is it possible to make it work with the FRS? I also only have one key (prior owner out there somewhere has the other which makes me slightly uncomfortable...)

Yes, if you have still have one key in hand, it can be done. Using x100 plus, Toyota G chip supported.
Liliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #22
Maggie_Mullen

Drives: Subur / Scion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliflower View Post
Yes, if you have still have one key in hand, it can be done. Using x100 plus, Toyota G chip supported.
I would not be so sure of that. A lot of the keys that are out there on eBay are already programed. Make sure that the person that you are purchasing from is a reputable seller. I have had friends that have gotten replacement fobs from eBay and eventually they figured out that it was already programed. The key was uncut and everything, which made everyone think it was legit. The locksmith he talked to said they just get blank slider key (which is the snake patterned key type that you see on the car keys without the double bitting) and attach it to the fob. Seems impractical to me, but apparently it happens.

There are companies out there that are pretty reputable. When I got my key I made sure that the company had a customer service line so that I could talk to an actual human if there was an issue. This is not just to protect your money, but also to make sure that the job gets done. And it made all the difference.

I made it through the entire list of instructions and it was not working. One more time to try and find my mistake...and still nothing. There was something really small that I would totally forget if I had to do it again. It was not on the instructions, but the person over the phone knew it somehow. Do what you need to do not to pay the dealership. It saves money, and seems like less of a hassle personally, then doing it yourself and hopefully leaning something (Just to prepare you, there is no real skill you get out of this, because the reprograming does not transfer to most other cars).
Maggie_Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #23
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie_Mullen View Post
There are companies out there that are pretty reputable. When I got my key I made sure that the company had a customer service line so that I could talk to an actual human if there was an issue. This is not just to protect your money, but also to make sure that the job gets done. And it made all the difference.

I made it through the entire list of instructions and it was not working. One more time to try and find my mistake...and still nothing. There was something really small that I would totally forget if I had to do it again. It was not on the instructions, but the person over the phone knew it somehow. Do what you need to do not to pay the dealership. It saves money, and seems like less of a hassle personally, then doing it yourself and hopefully leaning something (Just to prepare you, there is no real skill you get out of this, because the reprograming does not transfer to most other cars).
What did you end up spending? I really need to get a replacement and the cost at the dealers is pretty outrageous.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #24
FRS311

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Bumping this. I recently bought my 2013 FRS used and the dealership only had one key for it. The local Toyota dealership quoted me $425 for a new fob, laser-cut key and reprogramming for the fob. Out-friggin'-rageous.
FRS311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Some info on the topic. Not sure but Toyota probably has something similar that I just can't find.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1355508627