follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,185 Times in 4,286 Posts
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
I've done the research, spent hours online and on the phone. Everybody has had problems and there are inconsistencies except for MoTeC. If you try to save money and cut corners you will pay twice. Do it right the first time and just buy MoTeC!!
I did the exact same thing.. I spent months trying to figure out what really worked and what not on each solution. Because if you just read on the surface or just casually ask, everyone will say "everything works" on my car.

But when you dig deep, one person A/C works sporadically, another A/C does not work at all, the next person does not have ABS working, other their gauge tank reads in increments of 1/8th, others Power Steering is in limp mode and the list goes on and on....

Motec was the only one where you actually had everything working from factory like it should. Now, it seems Emtron has everything working similar to Motec and Element Tuning apparently with their Nemesis plug and play package also have basically everything working like factory.

Tell you what, it has been a chore to locate a Local Motec tuner, and everyone who I even ask about tuning Emtron first thing they say is "what is that?"...

There's a local who will be using the Element Tuning Nemesis plug and play so I'll be able to see first hand how much it actually works.

Don't get me wrong, the Motec is not perfect. I have gone through some trial and error with it, but I can honestly say at the end of the day, Pure Automotive has made everything RIGHT no matter what. But given you can get a complete package with harness and ECU from a single point and from people who actually stand behind their product is a big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob 2fast4u View Post
I spent a weekend making my own harness for the 2jz with my EMU classic in my brz. all new sensors turned out to be less than 3,000$, also got a tablet dash with real dash app so it displays anything I want without buying more gauges or one could get a lcd race dash (aem, ecu master, aim,...)
That's really good when you can save the cost of buying a harness and can make your own.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 08-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
emtron has a complete plug and play for the FA20 and frs. So they have the logic done. Now when you use the KV8 version for the ls swap, you have to integrate the same logic which shouldn't be hard. I have my build going through and I have KV8
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
HawaiianMike

Drives: 2015 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm all for standalones, but if I can't trick the emissions guy when getting an inspection then it won't work for me. Only thing I can see right now is to dual ecm and have them talk, only to have the brz ecm say everything is fine, regardless of what the actual engine is doing. (Much like my life; I just tell myself everything is fine)
HawaiianMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,185 Times in 4,286 Posts
Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianMike View Post
I'm all for standalones, but if I can't trick the emissions guy when getting an inspection then it won't work for me. Only thing I can see right now is to dual ecm and have them talk, only to have the brz ecm say everything is fine, regardless of what the actual engine is doing. (Much like my life; I just tell myself everything is fine)
@Zer0 is going down the path of getting his swap legal in California, so pay attention to his build on that front.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm going to attempt it the legal way for sure, and if I'm unsuccessful I will let you guys know what will need to be changed.

Last edited by Zer0; 08-18-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #20
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I hate to keep bursting that bubble, but a state that requires tailpipe and all monitors ready will be next to impossible to pass on a vehicle after '96. Now if you swap all of the fuel and emissions related components and have a good ref...maybe.