follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #29
Sugi

Drives: 2015 FR-S - Halo
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Every person, everyday violates the law in some shape or form, even if they realize it or not. If the peace officer knows his/her stuff, you can get a ticket for just about anything. If it helps you sleep better at night because you knew you were in the wrong, pay it. Not to say that it is the right thing to do or not, but you got caught (even if the every single person passing you while you were stopped was speeding), the officer pulled YOU over gave you a cite and that's the end of the story. IMO even if you knew you were wrong, it doesn't make you a bad person to attempt to dismiss the cite.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #30
Alex0827a
This Is A Custom Title

Drives: Not an 86 :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Your mileage may vary, results not typical, terms and conditions apply, please talk to your doctor and see if going to court is right for you. If you have an erec...
If it doesn't go away, call more ladies! :p
Alex0827a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #31
PMPB

Drives: BRZ Sport-tech
If there are points and this is your first offence, plead to the judge for a reduction.

Otherwise, own up to being caught like a decent human. Maybe next time you'll think about speeding. I have gotten my fair share of driving offences, the only one I ever fought was the one I know I wasn't speeding.
PMPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #32
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdq85 View Post
but in all seriousness, fight it in court. Worse case scenario, you are exactly where you started. Best case scenario, trooper doesn't show up. Middle of the road scenario, they drop points and you only pay fine.
This is the exact reason why courts are so backed up. I can't tell you how many people backed up on their story in their arraignment in the hopes that the charging officer wouldn't show up in court for the trial. One example, when asked if they were guilty of speeding (115 mph on the freeway), motorcyclist pleaded guilty. He then asked the judge how much the fine would be. Fine was more than the motorcyclist anticipated, so he changes his plea to not guilty. Imagine this happening with every other traffic offender. To go from your arraignment to the trial now takes ~6 months to schedule. If you are guilty, man up and pay your fee so you can get on with your life and not waste other people's time. /rant
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #33
cdq85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop View Post
This is the exact reason why courts are so backed up. I can't tell you how many people backed up on their story in their arraignment in the hopes that the charging officer wouldn't show up in court for the trial. One example, when asked if they were guilty of speeding (115 mph on the freeway), motorcyclist pleaded guilty. He then asked the judge how much the fine would be. Fine was more than the motorcyclist anticipated, so he changes his plea to not guilty. Imagine this happening with every other traffic offender. To go from your arraignment to the trial now takes ~6 months to schedule. If you are guilty, man up and pay your fee so you can get on with your life and not waste other people's time. /rant
I'm not worried about paying the fine. I don't want the points on my record so I'm gonna try to fight it. This is god damn america last time I checked and I get a right to a fair trial, correct? Sorry you have to spend an entire day doing that shit but it's part of your job. Quit if you don't like it /rant

Last edited by cdq85; 10-31-2015 at 09:36 AM.
cdq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 AM   #34
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdq85 View Post
I'm not worried about paying the fine. I don't want the points on my record so I'm gonna try to fight it. This is god damn america last time I checked and I get a right to a fair trial, correct. Sorry you have to spend an entire day doing that shit but it's part of your job. Quit if you don't like it /rant
Believe it or not, I'm not a law enforcement officer but I do respect their time. The point that I was trying to make was that if you break the law and know you did, you should accept the consequences. I think that having public servants spend their time dealing with something that you know you did wrong is selfish. I would rather not spend my afternoon sitting in a court room when other people may have legitimate cases to argue. Time is a non-renewable resource unlike money.
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cop For This Useful Post:
pushrod (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 08:14 AM   #35
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Believe it or not, I'm not a law enforcement officer but I do respect their time. The point that I was trying to make was that if you break the law and know you did, you should accept the consequences. I think that having public servants spend their time dealing with something that you know you did wrong is selfish. I would rather not spend my afternoon sitting in a court room when other people may have legitimate cases to argue. Time is a non-renewable resource unlike money.
Glad to see I'm not the only person that reasons this way.

I remember a buddy of mine was very pissed off that a neighbour of his sent the police to his house to ask him to keep the noise down, instead of being a man and coming over himself.

It was 3am, on a Sunday, in the winter.

Some people feel really violated when they get into twubble and they need to fight it to give themselves a sense of control. It's infantile, but they have the right to.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #36
cdq85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I agree about owning up to your mistakes, however, I don't understand why you wouldn't go to court. Have you ever test driven a car and not bought a car with that salesman? I'm willing to bet you have. So you wasted his time because he didn't make a dime and spent an hour with you. At least everyone in that courtroom is being paid to be there.
cdq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdq85 For This Useful Post:
SVTSHC (11-02-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #37
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
This is an absurd statement. If you don't want to waste other people's time do the right thing and make speeding tickets illegal. They are not for safety, they are for revenue generation. They should not exist, and whoever wants them should be executed. You want to keep the courts free, make it illegal to issue any ticket for money. There is something very wrong with a society that thinks it is ok to randomly charge people money for doing nothing wrong.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:46 PM   #38
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
This is an absurd statement. If you don't want to waste other people's time do the right thing and make speeding tickets illegal. They are not for safety, they are for revenue generation. They should not exist, and whoever wants them should be executed. You want to keep the courts free, make it illegal to issue any ticket for money. There is something very wrong with a society that thinks it is ok to randomly charge people money for doing nothing wrong.
WOW.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #39
Alex0827a
This Is A Custom Title

Drives: Not an 86 :(
Quote:
Just take away speed limits in the passing lanes, easier solution. That said, I do think that some speeding tickets are ridiculous. If I'm on an open stretch of road with no other cars in front of me, and I want to go 100, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to. The only person I'm putting "at risk" is myself, and that should be my decision to make. That said, I don't condone speeding like that when there are a bunch of other people around. They didn't give you permission to jeopardize their safety.
Alex0827a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #40
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
115 would cost that man his license for months.
115 would cost that man over $2000 in ticket/responsibility fees
115 is an automatic 11 points and a serious increase in insurance for the next few years.

Yeah I would have plead not guilty also. F*** the courts "time" this is my LIFE that is at stake.

Can't pay the fine, don't do the crime? Again, we all do dumb things; we're human. It's not as though that guy would have gotten off scott free. Between lawyer fees and whatever the ticket was dropped to, he'll still have learned an expensive (likely still near $2000) lesson.

Quote:
That's poor logic when it involves your license and in a lot of cases your job. People make mistakes. Some people have above average work commutes and when the average person is only capable of FOCUSING for around 20min.... You don't need 100% focus to drive but you do need 100% focus to drive and keep it under the speed limit in today's world.
  • Most people drive above the speed limit, meaning traffic flow is above the speed limit.
  • Personally, I find it more dangerous when everyone and their mother is flying past me because I'm concerned with doing the speed limit. The last thing I want is to be rear ended by some texting teenager.
  • Artificially low speed limits are a thing in this country. A thing for generating revenue; this becomes evident when "speed traps" are a real thing. You know the ones, those areas where the speed limits suddenly and unexpectedly drops about 20mph.... like right after a bridge *coughClearviewExpresswaycough* (coincidentally the exact speed you need to get a 6pt ticket)
  • Modern cars (for the most part) are numb. Numb to the point where older drivers who are use to driving largely by feel end up speeding.

There are plenty of things you can list. There are plenty of people that would call those things excuses, but the fact of the matter is they aren't all excuses.

Yes there have to be speed limits, Yes we should obey those speed limits, Yes you should have to pay for your mistakes BUT you should always fight a moving violation. Money is one thing, points can screw your life for years and are largely unnecessary. People mess up, they have for years and will continue to do so till the end of time... no need to often be as heavy handed as the law tends to be.

Quote:
This didn't sound absurd when you wrote it?

I don't know about you but I'd like to think I'd keep my speed respectable but the honest truth is if speed limits didn't exist I'd treat most roads like road courses at least 75% of the time.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku

Last edited by SVTSHC; 11-02-2015 at 01:44 PM.
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Dude. Go image search "fatal car crash" and get back to me on this.
wireman957 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 PM   #42
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
115 would cost that man his license for months.
115 would cost that man over $2000 in ticket/responsibility fees
115 is an automatic 11 points and a serious increase in insurance for the next few years.

Yeah I would have plead not guilty also. F*** the courts "time" this is my LIFE that is at stake.

Can't pay the fine, don't do the crime? Again, we all do dumb things; we're human. It's not as though that guy would have gotten off scott free. Between lawyer fees and whatever the ticket was dropped to, he'll still have learned an expensive (likely still near $2000) lesson.

That's poor logic when it involves your license and in a lot of cases your job. People make mistakes. Some people have above average work commutes and when the average person is only capable of FOCUSING for around 20min.... You don't need 100% focus to drive but you do need 100% focus to drive and keep it under the speed limit in today's world.
  • Most people drive above the speed limit, meaning traffic flow is above the speed limit.
  • Personally, I find it more dangerous when everyone and their mother is flying past me because I'm concerned with doing the speed limit. The last thing I want is to be rear ended by some texting teenager.
  • Artificially low speed limits are a thing in this country. A thing for generating revenue; this becomes evident when "speed traps" are a real thing. You know the ones, those areas where the speed limits suddenly and unexpectedly drops about 20mph.... like right after a bridge *coughClearviewExpresswaycough* (coincidentally the exact speed you need to get a 6pt ticket)
  • Modern cars (for the most part) are numb. Numb to the point where older drivers who are use to driving largely by feel end up speeding.

There are plenty of things you can list. There are plenty of people that would call those things excuses, but the fact of the matter is they aren't all excuses.

Yes there have to be speed limits, Yes we should obey those speed limits, Yes you should have to pay for your mistakes BUT you should always fight a moving violation. Money is one thing, points can screw your life for years and are largely unnecessary. People mess up, they have for years and will continue to do so till the end of time... no need to often be as heavy handed as the law tends to be.

This didn't sound absurd when you wrote it?

I don't know about you but I'd like to think I'd keep my speed respectable but the honest truth is if speed limits didn't exist I'd treat most roads like road courses at least 75% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dude. Go image search "fatal car crash" and get back to me on this.
Neither has anything to do with what I said. I did not say people should speed, I said speeding tickets for money are evil and do absolutely nothing. This is the simple truth. They are for revenue only and the police and the counties budget ticket money, so they desperately need you to speed so they can use you as an ATM machine.

You want to eliminate speeding? Easy. For every mile an hour you go over the speed limit, you must do 40 hours of community service. I bet no one would ever speed. That is a real way to eliminate speeding. The courts, cities, etc, etc, ad naseum do not want to eliminate speeding, they want to use the citizens as ATM machines for their idiotic pet projects and bribes.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote