follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Should the Toyota version of the FT-86 be a Scion or Toyota in North America?
Toyota 95 87.16%
Scion 14 12.84%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #127
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scion FTS sounds fine to me. If its a Scion
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #128
jmc

Drives: Lexus GS430, Toyota Celica Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I fondly remember the glory days of Toyota sports cars. I am a big fan of the Supra, Celica and MR2. In no way does Scion deserve to have this car under their name. This car screams Toyota, and the return of Toyota sports cars. Toyota Motors will hurt gross sales of this car by selling it as a Scion instead of as a Toyota. Scion is a joke to many people and is not taken seriously. I vote Toyota all the way.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #129
Rickster

Drives: IS350, 350Z, 335i
Scion vs. Toyota badging opinion

Folks, before I start this thread, I just want to state I know there is a million and one threads on this already, so I created this just to share and express my personal opinion. Moderators, if you feel this thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete.

So I read that so many members on this forum say, "If it's a Scion, I won't buy it", or something amongst those lines. MY personal opinion on this is - whether it's a Scion, or a Toyota, it doesn't matter to me. I personally am attracted to the vehicle, not necessarily the badge it carries. I'm attracted to the styling of the vehicle, the motor of the vehicle, the essence of the vehicle, this won't change if it's a Scion or Toyota. Now, if Scion changes the features of the car, that's a different story all together. Then I might not consider it as highly as I would if it was a Toyota. Let's say hypothetically, this was a Hyundai - and reliability is still the same, price is still the same, engine is the same, styling is the same, etc. I'd still highly consider the vehicle, because again - it's the same car, just a different badge. On the flip side, let's say the Hyundai Genesis was a Toyota vehicle, it doesn't mean I'd consider it any more than I currently am. To me, the badge that's on the vehicle is just that, a badge. The badge doesn't make the vehicle, but it's the features of the vehicle that defines it.

I know many of you might not agree, but I just wanted to take a moment and share my opinions with you guys. for taking the time to read my rant! :happy0180:

Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #130
Zorro

Drives: G35 V36 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
You know what? This could be excellent... I've mentioned this before, but with the engine position where it is, they could put in an H6 without messing too much with the handling. (Hell, Subaru hung the entire EG33 in front of the front axle and the SVX's handling didn't suck.)

Now what car in Toyota's sterling past could this remind anybody of? This hypothetical Celica, which at a later point in time could could be turned into a 'super' Celica with the addition of a 6 cylinder powerplant. Hmmm... whatever could I be talking about? Maybe give it a new front-end to distinguish it from the non-'super' version. A lightish-weight RWD Toyota 6 cylinder sports car with no turbo.

Celica ST 145 hp 2.0L (current un-modified FB20?)
Inexpensive, economical, volume car. By inexpensive I mean 'Even less money than they were originally talking about'. $18k-$20k

Celica GT-S 200 hp 2.0L Harder edged. The car most of us want. At the target price. 2800bs MAX!

Then after a year or two introduce:

Celica-Supra 240 hp 3.0L H6 (I think that is the number from Subaru's current 3.0L) With a minor re-style this could appeal to older crowd, smoother, but don't turn it into a marshmallow. Maybe an optional twin-clutch? Base price +$3k-$5k? 3100 lbs MAX! Lexus version? How would this price and performance compare with the fabled Mustang?

On a single platform this gives 3 very different cars that hit a huge potential market range. Plus it gives a potential product 'Ladder' within Toyota. It fits in with the past, and by using the Celica-Supra name, it re-introduces the Supra nameplate but reminds us turbo Supra owners that there were two generations before it was the hardcore turbo beast most know, and can justify its non-GTR performance that way.

I really like your idea of a eco version to up the sales, and perhaps bring down the cost of parts.

However I gotta Disagree with putting an N/A 6 in here. I would MUCH rather see a factory boosted 4 banger in this car. Something I can get some serious numbers out of with just a few grand in mods.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #131
Toyota4Life

Drives: 1994 Toyota Pickup
Basically all of the people who don't care what badge it's on should then support us for not wanting it to be a Scion and wanting it to ba Toyota. You've already said you don't give a shit, so then support us in our fight to slap Toyota silly and do the right thing.

It's this non-chalant attitude that Toyota for some reason wants to listen to and encourages them to do stupid shit like this. "see, they don't even curr what brand it's sold as. Let's make a new 500HP Supra and call it the Scion FUKu!!"
Toyota4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #132
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
^ They have a new powerful supra. Its under the L badge though.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #133
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Mehhhh let's just name this thing a Lexus BWAHAHAHAH
Archer256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #134
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Normous View Post
^ They have a new powerful supra. Its under the L badge though.
I don't call LFA a supra successor. They are completely different. LFA neither carry over the I6, not cost nearly 100K. LFA is in the class of its own.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #135
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

ISF dude
Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #136
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
Folks, before I start this thread, I just want to state I know there is a million and one threads on this already, so I created this just to share and express my personal opinion. Moderators, if you feel this thread is unnecessary, please feel free to delete.

So I read that so many members on this forum say, "If it's a Scion, I won't buy it", or something amongst those lines. MY personal opinion on this is - whether it's a Scion, or a Toyota, it doesn't matter to me. I personally am attracted to the vehicle, not necessarily the badge it carries. I'm attracted to the styling of the vehicle, the motor of the vehicle, the essence of the vehicle, this won't change if it's a Scion or Toyota. Now, if Scion changes the features of the car, that's a different story all together. Then I might not consider it as highly as I would if it was a Toyota. Let's say hypothetically, this was a Hyundai
I stopped reading when you mentioned Hyundai.

If you read around--you'll see all of the reasons why members want to see the car as a Toyota, and the vast amount of people who would much rather see this car as a Toyota than a scion.

I don't think I want to write another post to the Scion vs. Toyota badging argument so I'll leave it as is.
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #137
Archer256

Quote:
ISF dude
slurp.

Lexus is semi-luxury? Wow Im going to guess you think German engineering is the best ever too? I wont get into that debate about Lexus being better than BMW and Mercedes, they are at some and some not so much, but dude Lexus is luxury lol.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #138
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer256 View Post
slurp.

Lexus is semi-luxury? Wow Im going to guess you think German engineering is the best ever too? I wont get into that debate about Lexus being better than BMW and Mercedes, they are at some and some not so much, but dude Lexus is luxury lol.
I fail to see your point?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #139
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
ISF dude
4doors, V8, automatic 8 spd. I fail to see how it's the Supra's successor.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #140
Archer256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midship Runabout View Post
I fail to see your point?
sry the ISF is sick, the second half of my post was responding to this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GoZoom View Post
Hear me out on this. Toyota has built brand recognition around the FF Hybrid Synergy cars and the comfortably beige sedans it builds. They want to keep that, and I agree. Scion is a sport brand, much like Lexus (ick) is a semi-luxury brand. Bring it over to Scion to keep them alive. It will compliment the TC well. Name it the Celica or FT-86 or FR4 in the spirit of the MR2. But positioning it in the Scion category would work well for it. May kill resale value, but that's not the point of the car anyway.