follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #8135
gtfapollo

Drives: Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZed View Post
I'm a rhd buyer, so waiting for confirmation that the kit is available for RHD applications.
Yep, we will be waiting for a while :-(

But worth it :-)
gtfapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #8136
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Look what came in the mail today!
This new kit is so nice. Now I can see what the long silence was about. Rob has been very busy with improvements and refinements. As has been mentioned, the DR tube is gone replaced by a two position activation switch. Something not mentioned is that the switch and meter now have quick disconnects on them. This will make installation much easier. And the battery tray is much simpler now. It'll be a lot more difficult to screw up the install.
And it comes with a nicer meter and the fuse is integrated into the harness.

All and all I am very happy with the new kit. I'll be installing it this afternoon. Shouldn't take long. I'll let you know how it goes.
Attached Images

WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-06-2015), Gums (01-06-2015), jflogerzi (01-06-2015), raven1231 (01-06-2015), Sojhinn (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #8137
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Look what came in the mail today!
This new kit is so nice. Now I can see what the long silence was about. Rob has been very busy with improvements and refinements. As has been mentioned, the DR tube is gone replaced by a two position activation switch. Something not mentioned is that the switch and meter now have quick disconnects on them. This will make installation much easier. And the battery tray is much simpler now. It'll be a lot more difficult to screw up the install.
And it comes with a nicer meter and the fuse is integrated into the harness.

All and all I am very happy with the new kit. I'll be installing it this afternoon. Shouldn't take long. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jelly!
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #8138
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu-Tang View Post
I ran 2 odysseys as dump packs with the additions of 2 half dumps, We saw no gains, only difference was they didn't need to be warmed up, I could hit full boost off the bat however the dump packs would need to drain a few times before they proved useful.

@robwbright Sorry Ive been loosely following this thread as of late. Are you still having battery issues? did you determine if it was the start battery that has gone bad? do you have the stock battery still? maybe install back in the car and drive around for a week without the ESC, this could help you determine if have a drainage issue, just an idea.

P.S. Im back to the original starter battery, the same one majority of us are using, it was -20C - -25C in calgary this week and the car wasn't started for 4 days and still started pretty decently.
Cheers
Didn't have any issues for a month because it never got below freezing. Now it's colder at night and the car isn't starting. Still looking for a compact starter battery with just a bit more power than the Powersonic... The car will start after a very short time on a charger, so it's seems that it's just BARELY too weak to start the car.

This is an interesting idea... a jump start pack the size of a large cell phone:

http://junopower.com/collections/aut...e-jump-starter
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #8139
robwbright

The power sonic is 21ah capacity. If I'm understanding it correctly, I just need a bit more capacity.

Anyone have any idea of the largest battery tray one can fit in the battery area? The 15 dump pack tray appears to be about 7.75" x 12" outside measurement. It looks like 7.75" is about as wide as it can get, but it appears it could get about an inch longer without causing any issues. Can anyone confirm?

This is less than 1/2" wider (thereby needing a 1/2" longer tray), and it's 45ah... it's got F2 terminals, though and I don't know if a connector is available to make it work:

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...nk&product=220

And here's a 60ah that's less than an inch and a half wider.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...nk&product=136

And here's a 26ah that's actually slightly smaller than the powersonic.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...ink&product=26

I wonder if a 20% increase in capacity would be sufficient to resolve my cold start issue..? Thoughts? Or recommendation on a larger battery tray size?
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #8140
robwbright

Oops. Just noticed 2 of those are 6 volt. The 26ah is 12 volt, though.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #8141
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Partial boost update and installation procedure!

Partial boost activation:
In rev 2 kits partial boost activation has been included as standard and Drag Reduction has been removed. Partial boost will activate between 70 and 75 percent physical throttle when configured correctly. This will allow you to use all of the cars natural NA power(0 to about 65% physical throttle) and then transition into slightly more boost as you require more acceleration.

Partial boost is a 2 stage system, on your activation WOT switch you will hear two distinct "clicks" of engagement. The first click will engage a USER configurable amount of boost between 0 and 2 PSI. By default Rob has setup the first stage activation at about 1.5psi (we found this to be the most smooth during testing). The second stage of the system activates closer to 100 percent physical throttle and gives you the full ~4.85psi.

To setup partial boost properly follow these steps:

1. Disable ESC arm switch so the system is completely OFF
2. Turn car to 'ON' position and connect your OFT.
3. Bring up the "throttle" monitoring bar graph. You can do this by going to your live datalog monitoring and clicking the "throttle" menu item. Once selected this should result in a nice bar graph that goes from 0 to 100 percent based on your physical throttle position.
4. Install the WOT activation switch exactly as Rob has depicted in the Installation guide. *Note* it must be completely straight, if the switch is bolted in at a angle the geometry could be off resulting in one of the stages to not engaging correctly.
5. Once installed, bend the metal activation lever so that the first "click" lands between 70 and 75% on the OFT.
6. Lastly confirm that the setup activation "click" happens at or before 100 percent physical throttle. If you do not hear the second click you will not get full boost, check your WOT switch installation to ensure everything is straight.

It is important to note that you should not set the first stage activation below 70% physical throttle. If you set it too low your car may not be in closed loop fueling causing fuel trims to get out of whack. This will not damage your car as it can compensate for this but it will not feel as smooth. When i originally started testing this we set it at about 65% and this just wasn’t as smooth and would result in the occasional rich condition causing exhaust backfires

My suggestion is to try 73-75 percent first and see how you like it.

As far as the user configurable boost, i will get the exact details from Rob on how to set this. There is a small twistable (with small screw driver) switch that will set the first stage of the system between 0 and 2 psi... i just don’t know what 1 revolution of the switch results in for boost.

Thanks all!
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (01-07-2015), DAEMANO (01-07-2015), Gums (01-06-2015), raven1231 (01-07-2015), zc06_kisstherain (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #8142
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
Fenton it would be good if you could put a date when you do an update on your first post so it gives people a timeline of progress with this setup.

I have been following this on and off for quite sometime as I find it very interesting to see this new tech progress so just a suggestion to make it a bit easier to follow.
Good Idea, i will try and catalog my updates and post links on the first page so that it is easier for the occasional lookers to follow.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #8143
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
The power sonic is 21ah capacity. If I'm understanding it correctly, I just need a bit more capacity.

Anyone have any idea of the largest battery tray one can fit in the battery area? The 15 dump pack tray appears to be about 7.75" x 12" outside measurement. It looks like 7.75" is about as wide as it can get, but it appears it could get about an inch longer without causing any issues. Can anyone confirm?

This is less than 1/2" wider (thereby needing a 1/2" longer tray), and it's 45ah... it's got F2 terminals, though and I don't know if a connector is available to make it work:

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...nk&product=220

And here's a 60ah that's less than an inch and a half wider.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...nk&product=136

And here's a 26ah that's actually slightly smaller than the powersonic.

http://www.batteryspec.com/cgi-bin/c...ink&product=26

I wonder if a 20% increase in capacity would be sufficient to resolve my cold start issue..? Thoughts? Or recommendation on a larger battery tray size?

Rob, just get the pc680 odyssey. It's the new starter battery.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #8144
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Rob, just get the pc680 odyssey. It's the new starter battery.
Even though it's rated lower "ah"? Please clarify. I probably just don't understand the "ah" and other ratings.

This one, right?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc680.htm

Will I need any other connectors, or is the "L bracket adapter" that's included all that I need?

Thanks!
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #8145
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Even though it's rated lower "ah"? Please clarify. I probably just don't understand the "ah" and other ratings.

This one, right?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc680.htm

Will I need any other connectors, or is the "L bracket adapter" that's included all that I need?

Thanks!

Yeah that's the one. Use the batterymart link on phantomsupercharger.com to be sure. As for the what is needed: you *may* need to make the eyelet on the negative cable slightly larger. And you will need to order a terminal post for the battery. (Rob includes the terminal post with the upgrade or new kits) I believe through batterymart the terminal posts are 12 bucks.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
robwbright (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #8146
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Yeah that's the one. Use the batterymart link on phantomsupercharger.com to be sure. As for the what is needed: you *may* need to make the eyelet on the negative cable slightly larger. And you will need to order a terminal post for the battery. (Rob includes the terminal post with the upgrade or new kits) I believe through batterymart the terminal posts are 12 bucks.
Terminal posts are $12.95. I assume I don't need the L adapters, too..? They're an extra $5.95 on batterymart.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 01-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #8147
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Terminal posts are $12.95. I assume I don't need the L adapters, too..? They're an extra $5.95 on batterymart.

Shouldn't need the L adapters.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
robwbright (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #8148
robwbright

Thanks! Basically the same price on Odyssey's website and includes L adapters... but if I don't need them, then...
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive