follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #99
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
I have no issue with that and I was very friendly to those that suggested different options in a friendly manner. I was pretty shocked by the unfriendly ones that kept coming back.
Meh. That happens. You get used to it.
itsjustdavep (09-04-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #100
bradsm87

Drives: It has 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_W View Post
After about 40k miles on my BRZ, I stand behind my initial impression, this car would be absolutely perfect with 50% more engine. Like the OP, I've had many boosted and swapped cars and I understand and appreciate the various ways to make power. An EZ30 would fit the bill perfectly here and with a good header and tune, you could expect about 10-12% more power. Combine that with a 4.56 rear end, the right sounding exhaust and I think it would be nirvana.

My real question is after the physical issues are solved, how is everything going to play out with accessories? A/C, Tachometer, Cruise Control, etc... my BRZ is my daily and wouldn't want to compromise any of that.
Yeah it'd be brilliant. The EZ30 is surprisingly small due to its smaller cylinder spacing.

I believe that all of that stuff should work with the AGT CAN converter. Keep an eye on here for updates:

https://www.facebook.com/AGTEngineering/
bradsm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradsm87 For This Useful Post:
-Willis-86touge (06-06-2016), Calum (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #101
Chad_W

Drives: 2013 BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge View Post
Ok, about the ez30 maybe it will be good and maybe not. Here are some suggestions about the ez30. A lot of headach for payoff. And I think this is everyone's main objection. But people should follow up on why not just put it down! And here's why brad you say you want a small engine. Stock they dyno at 181hp and 181tq. The fa20 can manage that easily. But yes the ex had a better torque curve so probably better as a daily driver. Also my research has lead me to believe at most the engine would have fully built its aroun 230 hp and 230 tq. So after spending God know how much on the swap you would still Spend plenty on the build as well. Still 230 is probably pretty good for are chassis seeing how a bad supercharger offers around the same and people love it. No with all that said is it worth it to you. Who knows that's for you to figure out. Others should support your decision and not criticize you. Personally I don't belive 230 is worth the headache. But that's me. My choose is lfx and I stand by it might be a headache but 300whp fully built na seems worth it to me. With the added lightness and balance off course. Which may I add is what people I think are overlooking in what you want to do. Griffin has proven our car can run with the bigg boys by lighten it up. Power was never what Toyota had in mind. Now as for the fa20. I think he's way more to come. 2.3 stroker to add with this I belive we will be able to achieve more hp and maybe not mor tq as the ez30. This to is why I wouldn't go that route. But this is just my opinion. To each their own!!!

I'm not sure I understand where your numbers are coming from, but I think we're in the same ballpark. The BRZ has roughly 14% drive train loss.

You can expect about 172whp/130wtq stock
With an EZ30 that would put you at 208whp/188wtq stock

Let's say you do header and tune for both, and let's say the EZ30 increases 10% and the BRZ increases 12%

Now we're at
FA20 193whp/145wtq
EZ30 229whp/207wtq

The results for EZ30 are little less HP and little more TQ than the Edelbrock S/C Kit which costs about $5,500. Any idea what the cost of this swap would be? (more labor for sure...)
Chad_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #102
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_W View Post
I'm not sure I understand where your numbers are coming from, but I think we're in the same ballpark. The BRZ has roughly 14% drive train loss.

You can expect about 172whp/130wtq stock
With an EZ30 that would put you at 208whp/188wtq stock

Let's say you do header and tune for both, and let's say the EZ30 increases 10% and the BRZ increases 12%

Now we're at
FA20 193whp/145wtq
EZ30 229whp/207wtq

The results for EZ30 are little less HP and little more TQ than the Edelbrock S/C Kit which costs about $5,500. Any idea what the cost of this swap would be? (more labor for sure...)
The numbers come from numerous videos and post. So the numbers are not exact but in the ballpark at what it's should be. Id know the highest hp I have found was 235hp, torque unknown. I figured torque was roughy the same because on most dynos it showed near same. Your figures are stating torque would be lower. Ez30d is rated at 243hp and 219tq witch with 14% loss would be 208whp and 188tq. And the older ex30 is rated at 219hp and 217 tq witch would be roughy 186whp and 181 wtq. So yes I believe we're close to the same I think it would matter on witch engine model and dyno. The moral is I still think it way low for cost. Cost wise not sure! No one will till it would be done.
-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #103
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge View Post
The numbers come from numerous videos and post. So the numbers are not exact but in the ballpark at what it's should be. Id know the highest hp I have found was 235hp, torque unknown. I figured torque was roughy the same because on most dynos it showed near same. Your figures are stating torque would be lower. Ez30d is rated at 243hp and 219tq witch with 14% loss would be 208whp and 188tq. And the older ex30 is rated at 219hp and 217 tq witch would be roughy 186whp and 181 wtq. So yes I believe we're close to the same I think it would matter on witch engine model and dyno. The moral is I still think it way low for cost. Cost wise not sure! No one will till it would be done.
It was 5 years ago, but I'm 95% sure I made 230whp 100% stock with the EZ30 on an honest low-reading dyno. We were quite surprised. I'm at work but I asked the wife to have a look through the filing cabinet and try and find the dyno sheet.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #104
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I feel brain dead after reading this whole thread. I'm not usually the trolling type, but as a public service, someone change the title of this thread to "6 cylinder pipe dream". With all due respect to the OP, I feel like this whole discussion is a bunch of dreaming similar to what I used to do when I was twelve, dreaming about all the cool shit I would do when I got my first car. I never did install that 440 six pack into my parents old 1998 Pontiac Grand Am

Seriously, if you're just opening this thread for the first time, hit the back button and never return.
SkAsphalt (06-09-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #105
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
I feel brain dead after reading this whole thread. I'm not usually the trolling type, but as a public service, someone change the title of this thread to "6 cylinder pipe dream". With all due respect to the OP, I feel like this whole discussion is a bunch of dreaming similar to what I used to do when I was twelve, dreaming about all the cool shit I would do when I got my first car. I never did install that 440 six pack into my parents old 1998 Pontiac Grand Am

Seriously, if you're just opening this thread for the first time, hit the back button and never return.
There is nothing wrong with planning FFS

What would be more stupid would be to go and buy the car and realise afterwards that the chassis is not best for what you want to do. It's called research.

A new user to a forum should not need to prove their background or upload a bank statement to be taken seriously!
The Following User Says Thank You to bradsm87 For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-07-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #106
-Willis-86touge

Quote:

I understand your frustration, if I could sh** gold I'd do it!! Lol but sometimes people really want something and have to work for it. Last time I did a swap I got the same criticism. Everyone told me it would never happen. And it took me three years of dreaming. After it was said and done I loved it. And because it took so long I appreciated it. Only car I ever really loved till I got an 86. I would of keep it till I died. But some one stole it. I guess some people can't wait for what they want!
The Following User Says Thank You to -Willis-86touge For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (06-07-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #107
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with planning FFS

What would be more stupid would be to go and buy the car and realise afterwards that the chassis is not best for what you want to do. It's called research.

A new user to a forum should not need to prove their background or upload a bank statement to be taken seriously!
I think the annoying part is the thought that this isn't actually planning. This is just dreaming, google battling, and the dismissal of real world educated opinions.

Your reply just makes me want to bang my head on the desk..... you want to make sure the chassis is good for what you want it to do? You're buying an engine with the idea of wrapping a car around it? lmao.

I don't think anyone wants a background check or a copy of your bank statement, but a touch of logic and open mindedness might not hurt.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #108
bradsm87

Quote:
I think the annoying part is the thought that this isn't actually planning. This is just dreaming, google battling, and the dismissal of real world educated opinions.
It is planning. This build will be cheaper than my daily car. I'm not some high school student dreamer. I've been building fast cars for 11 years.

I haven't dismissed any real world educated V6 or H6 options. I have my reasons. I'm not out for outright power or torque. I want something that I can have fun driving at 100% that is not forced induction and maintains as close to 50/50 weight distribution as possible. I just want something that's got a bit more than what a tuned FA20 can give me, especially in the midrange department.

At the end of the day, I just don't have to justify why I want a particular type of engine. I simply started a thread asking if there were more of that particular type of engine worth considering, which there was, hence why I'm looking at both the LFX and EZ30 now. I've ruled out the 2GR, because the LFX is much easier. The thread has served its purpose, but it keeps continuing with people having a go at my engine type choice or calling me many nasty variants of a dreamer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradsm87 For This Useful Post:
Calum (06-07-2016), cf6mech (06-07-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #109
-Willis-86touge

And I and maybe a few learned about the can converter witch might help someone!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -Willis-86touge For This Useful Post:
bradsm87 (06-06-2016), Calum (06-07-2016), Chad_W (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #110
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Guys, if you really want OP to stop posting, then lead by example. At this point all he's doing is responding to people belittling him.

You guys are trying to tell someone how best to spend his money. He asked about engines...

Last edited by Calum; 06-07-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
bradsm87 (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #111
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
It is planning. This build will be cheaper than my daily car. I'm not some high school student dreamer. I've been building fast cars for 11 years.

I haven't dismissed any real world educated V6 or H6 options. I have my reasons. I'm not out for outright power or torque. I want something that I can have fun driving at 100% that is not forced induction and maintains as close to 50/50 weight distribution as possible. I just want something that's got a bit more than what a tuned FA20 can give me, especially in the midrange department.

At the end of the day, I just don't have to justify why I want a particular type of engine. I simply started a thread asking if there were more of that particular type of engine worth considering, which there was, hence why I'm looking at both the LFX and EZ30 now. I've ruled out the 2GR, because the LFX is much easier. The thread has served its purpose, but it keeps continuing with people having a go at my engine type choice or calling me many nasty variants of a dreamer.

The LFX isn't "much easier," namely because it literally will not fit. The oil pan won't clear and due to the way it's integrated into the motor and bellhousing it cannot be modified enough to make it work.

You want to run the EZ30? Go for it. But the LFX isn't happening. It's not like the old EJ20R twin turbos and how everyone wanted to put it in a LHD Impreza, and how people said "it won't fit!!!!11!1!1!" For years and it turned out all you had to do was change the angle of one weld on one uppipe so some dude did it in his shed in rural Georgia. This is like, a very big sturdy integral part of the engine that physically will not fit.

And not to be a total **** but that's the third time that's been mentioned

Now if you're serious, stop posting and get building. I'll throw in on @spartatus' bet and add fifty to the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XanRules For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #112
bradsm87

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanRules View Post
The LFX isn't "much easier," namely because it literally will not fit. The oil pan won't clear and due to the way it's integrated into the motor and bellhousing it cannot be modified enough to make it work.

You want to run the EZ30? Go for it. But the LFX isn't happening. It's not like the old EJ20R twin turbos and how everyone wanted to put it in a LHD Impreza, and how people said "it won't fit!!!!11!1!1!" For years and it turned out all you had to do was change the angle of one weld on one uppipe so some dude did it in his shed in rural Georgia. This is like, a very big sturdy integral part of the engine that physically will not fit.

And not to be a total **** but that's the third time that's been mentioned

Now if you're serious, stop posting and get building. I'll throw in on @spartatus' bet and add fifty to the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BS. That type of oil pan can (and does all the time) be modified. It's NOT a deal-breaker. If cutting and welding is too difficult, I know a guy that can CNC the top half and I can box up and get a lower half welded to it just like the 2GR swap into an 86 (google it).