follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #15
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckable View Post
Thank you both for the feedback and recommendations. Much appreciated.

Anyone else have any comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a base 2017 as well and added the factory fog lights when I bought the car. Here is the thread I had going about the installation with some pictures:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Lights

I think they look pretty nice on the front of the car and they put out good light to the edges of the road. When it is raining hard I find them most useful. Honestly, though, the regular LED headlights are so bright I don’t use them that much. On dark roads I tend to use high beams to see up ahead to better avoid deer. These fog lights don’t do that. As designed they shine down. I do tend to use them when there is a lot of traffic and I don’t feel like constantly flipping the high beams off and on or I don’t want to blind the person in front of me.

It is not possible to use fog lights and high beams together, as they will turn off when the high beams are on. I’ve heard it’s possible to rewire that on your own, but that’s above my pay grade.

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
Chuckable

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thank you, Myriad. That’s exactly the kind of helpful information I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuckable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
HIDs being better than LEDs in terms of light output? Not sure about that one. That definitely used to be true but I don't know about anymore. LEDs have come a long way.

I have the new Morimoto LED headlights and they are brighter than the base model FRS headlights equipped with 35w Morimoto 5000k HIDs.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #18
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
HIDs being better than LEDs in terms of light output? Not sure about that one. That definitely used to be true but I don't know about anymore. LEDs have come a long way.

I have the new Morimoto LED headlights and they are brighter than the base model FRS headlights equipped with 35w Morimoto 5000k HIDs.
you're confusing 2 aspects of lighting.

there is the light source. there is also the optic assembly the light source utilizes.

hid offers more lumens than any current led sources can easily provide within the same assembly size. tossing an hid light source into any random housing designed for a halogen bulb is going to have very mixed results.

the led offering you're talking about was designed from the ground-up to be an led light source. the optical assembly is drastically different.

so while a custom-designed, complete led module could perform better than a random hid bulb in a housing it was never realistically intended to be placed into, that does not mean that all hid assemblies are worse than led assemblies.

if you start looking into dedicated hid projectors such as the murano, fx-r, or s2k for starters, you'll find that while the led assemblies are getting closer, they're just not there yet.
NyC Zn6 (11-21-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 PM   #19
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post

Not according to Morimoto or TRS:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=172

They have more scatter, so they may appear to be brighter, especially up close, but this is like throwing a set of HIDs into a projector headlight and another into a reflector headlight then claiming the reflector headlight is brighter because looking at it is often blinding. If you want focused illumination then HID will have better penetration for seeing down road, but LEDs may offer better visibility up close because of the scatter.

I want better visibility to see what is down road to plan what to avoid versus seeing better of what is too late to avoid.