follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I love the new electric pony.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Tcoat (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It looks a little funky to me, but that's to be expect with EVs. The different trims and pricing seem spot-on too. I'm happy they went with a dedicated platform as well. Beating Honda and Toyota to market with it is good too. Kudos to Ford if they can launch it without major recalls.

Also, not letting the Mustang nameplate fall into obscurity is smart. Sales will only continue to slide for the Mustang, and no hybrid or electric versions will save it. Taking advantage of the brand recognition is wise and people will eventually forget that the Mustang was ever just a RWD 2-door sports car.

I guess it is more a question of how many more nameplates will land with Mustang badging, and for how long. Does Ford eventually make Mustang a performance trim level?

Anyway, I'm going to lawl when the first videos of the Mach-e GT start going around showing it beating up on GT350s, and GT500s that can't get traction.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Irace86.2.0 (11-19-2019), scotto79 (11-21-2019), Tcoat (11-19-2019), why? (11-23-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
It looks a little funky to me, but that's to be expect with EVs. The different trims and pricing seem spot-on too. I'm happy they went with a dedicated platform as well. Beating Honda and Toyota to market with it is good too. Kudos to Ford if they can launch it without major recalls.

Also, not letting the Mustang nameplate fall into obscurity is smart. Sales will only continue to slide for the Mustang, and no hybrid or electric versions will save it. Taking advantage of the brand recognition is wise and people will eventually forget that the Mustang was ever just a RWD 2-door sports car.

I guess it is more a question of how many more nameplates will land with Mustang badging, and for how long. Does Ford eventually make Mustang a performance trim level?

Anyway, I'm going to lawl when the first videos of the Mach-e GT start going around showing it beating up on GT350s, and GT500s that can't get traction.
If they couldn't convince the public that a FWD sports car was a Mustang when FWD was the hot new thing they are going to have a rough time with an electric crossover!
Personally I have no love of the Mustang name so don't care but still don't see it going over well.

Introducing the 2021 Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-19-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Irace86.2.0 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
radon55

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I can see why they used the Mustang nameplate. Plenty of marketing and clout that come free with the name usage, instead of trying to make a new name and a new legacy. I'm looking forward to seeing these vs. the Tesla Model 3 at AutoX.

I'm just glad there's finally what I would consider a true competitor for Tesla in the "cheaper" end of the electric market. Competition is a good thing for the market.
radon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radon55 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-19-2019), Irace86.2.0 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #19
nwgabrz

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As long as the Mustang Mach-E maintains core aspects of the Mustang brand, it should be fine. Porsche, Lamborghini, and Jeep all have used a brand name on a vehicle type that was unthinkable for it, as well. Remember when Porsche fans were all up-in-arms by the Cayenne SUV? But since Porsche still makes sports cars like the 911, Porsche can call the Cayenne "The Porsche of SUVs".

The Mach-E retains the performance aspects of the Mustang brand, and the idea is that name recognition of the Mustang brand will draw people in. With that being said, we will still have to see if this will be a success or a flop.

Nonetheless, it's a good thing for the automotive industry in general. Here's an interesting read.
nwgabrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nwgabrz For This Useful Post:
why? (11-23-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgabrz View Post
As long as the Mustang Mach-E maintains core aspects of the Mustang brand, it should be fine. Porsche, Lamborghini, and Jeep all have used a brand name on a vehicle type that was unthinkable for it, as well. Remember when Porsche fans were all up-in-arms by the Cayenne SUV? But since Porsche still makes sports cars like the 911, Porsche can call the Cayenne "The Porsche of SUVs".

The Mach-E retains the performance aspects of the Mustang brand, and the idea is that name recognition of the Mustang brand will draw people in. With that being said, we will still have to see if this will be a success or a flop.

Nonetheless, it's a good thing for the automotive industry in general. Here's an interesting read.
That is just it though. Mustang is not a brand it is a model within a brand. A very distinct and separate model. It is not the same as Porsche making an SUV. It would be the same as Porsche building an electric cross over and calling it a 911.
People are not stupid and saying this is a Mustang will not fly with Mustang fans.
Dadhawk (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #21
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is just it though. Mustang is not a brand it is a model within a brand. A very distinct and separate model. It is not the same as Porsche making an SUV. It would be the same as Porsche building an electric cross over and calling it a 911.
People are not stupid and saying this is a Mustang will not fly with Mustang fans.
Ford tries to make Mustang look like a standalone brand not a Ford model; that is my impression based on the fact that there are no Ford logos on a Mustang. I think they are targeting the people who would like to buy a Mustang but prefer buying an SUV in the end. Much like the people who would like to buy a Porsche but end up with a Cayenne instead of 911.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Kind of stupid to slap the Mustang name on this. They could have simply called it Mach-E if they wanted to keep it somewhat related to the Mustang. This is no better than the Eclipse Cross.

With that being said, I'm going to play angel's advocate here and say that at least Mustang fans still have the Mustang. They aren't making this the main Mustang model (and hopefully never will).

The way I look at it, if I were a Mustang owner, I'd be thrilled to buy this as a daily driver and save the actual Mustang (and the gas money for it) for weekends.

Quote:
I still think the same concept applies. There was a time when Porsche build strictly sports cars only, but have since started making luxury sedans/SUVs. They're not any less prestigious than they were because of it. As long as Mustang fans have the actual Mustang, I don't see any reasonable backlash forming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Kind of stupid to slap the Mustang name on this. They could have simply called it Mach-E if they wanted to keep it somewhat related to the Mustang. This is no better than the Eclipse Cross.

With that being said, I'm going to play angel's advocate here and say that at least Mustang fans still have the Mustang. They aren't making this the main Mustang model (and hopefully never will).

The way I look at it, if I were a Mustang owner, I'd be thrilled to buy this as a daily driver and save the actual Mustang (and the gas money for it) for weekends.

I still think the same concept applies. There was a time when Porsche build strictly sports cars only, but have since started making luxury sedans/SUVs. They're not any less prestigious than they were because of it. As long as Mustang fans have the actual Mustang, I don't see any reasonable backlash forming.
But Ford has always made SUVs. Not even remotely the same thing. If I slapped a Mustang emblem on a pickup truck does that make it a Mustang? Should Porsche just call their whole line up 911 and hope the public goes for it? Porsche came up with a whole new name they didn’t try to take their iconic sports car models and turn them into electric crossovers.
I am not a Ford nor Mustang fan and the whole idea is just ludicrous to me so I can’t even imagine what they think of this hair brained badging.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Ford tries to make Mustang look like a standalone brand not a Ford model; that is my impression based on the fact that there are no Ford logos on a Mustang. I think they are targeting the people who would like to buy a Mustang but prefer buying an SUV in the end. Much like the people who would like to buy a Porsche but end up with a Cayenne instead of 911.
This is how they will likely spin it.

But

"OH I really want that sports car but since that EV has the same badge I am going for that instead" probably isn't going to be said often. If it is a good vehicle then it will sell on it's merits but slapping a pony on the front isn't going to fool a single buyer.

I highly doubt many walk into a dealer looking fr a 911 and walk out with a Cayenne instead.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #25
Tcoat

Old 11-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #26
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I highly doubt many walk into a dealer looking fr a 911 and walk out with a Cayenne instead.
I meant they go to Porsche dealer to buy the Cayenne that has the same brand with 911.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #27
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,189 Times in 8,583 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
How long can a shit thread last.......

Mr.Owl?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I meant they go to Porsche dealer to buy the Cayenne that has the same brand with 911.
That is really stretching it. Would they sell more Cayenne's if they badged them 911?