follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question on Invidia N1 exhaust silencers

Obviously there are numerous references to this exhaust, even a review or two (or three...) but I've yet to see anyone describe the difference in sound with and without the silencers installed. I'm also curious if anyone with too much time and money on their hands has ever done a dyno test to see the difference.

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 02-27-2015 at 02:33 PM.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I wish I could help but mine never fit. I heard mention of some that hammer theirs in place, but I wasn't gonna try it. I also tried to buy aftermarket ones to fit, but that didn't go as planned. If it's like past silencers that I've used in other cars, it will tone down the exhaust and drone quite a bit.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:
mid_life_crisis (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
AlphaFRS

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
When I first installed my N1 I actually ran the first day without and the second with the silencers. The silencers greatly reduce the drone. I think the car sounds slightly louder than stock with them on and preferred the sound without them. Hope this helps!
AlphaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
I'm also curious if anyone with too much time and money on their hands has ever done a dyno test to see the difference.
Since even a full catback will never actually give you more than 10 hp (and that's about the highest, most ridiculous claim I've seen, most are low single digit), I doubt you'd lose anything at all. If you still have cats in that's really gonna be your limiting factor. Just a sound preference at that point.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Since even a full catback will never actually give you more than 10 hp (and that's about the highest, most ridiculous claim I've seen, most are low single digit), I doubt you'd lose anything at all. If you still have cats in that's really gonna be your limiting factor. Just a sound preference at that point.

That makes perfect sense and now that I consider it, I already knew that so it was kind of stupid question. I suppose I was really thinking about a system that was modified in other ways such that the catback would become the choke point in the exhaust.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
That makes perfect sense and now that I consider it, I already knew that so it was kind of stupid question. I suppose I was really thinking about a system that was modified in other ways such that the catback would become the choke point in the exhaust.
I'd guess you'd end up with some sort of minimal loss - probably the reverse of what an increased diameter would give you. If I had to guess, and I'm not an automotive engineer or anything, it'd be pretty small. I'd be interested to know just out of personal curiosity. When my HKS comes this week, I'll be running the silencer unless it's the weekend. I want my neighbors to like me!

fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote