follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #71
Wylie1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My windows started squeeling after about 4 months of use. When it rains or I wash the car water remains in the window for DAYS.... It has been in the garage for 4 days now and there is STILL moisture on the outside of the windows after being lowered and raised!!! The last water you will see is confined to the two inch and a half or so wide verticle strips on each window (mentioned in ano5her post on this subject) I believe this is a design and/or manufacturing defect and Subaru/Scion need to do something about it promptly. Mine is going in to have the original internal gaskets replaced next week. This IS a warranty issue. If your car is exhibiting these symptoms take it to rhe dealer asap. The excess of water in the door is not good for speakers/locks/window compnents or your peace of mind when your window is all water spotted every time you use it for days after getting wet.
Wylie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #72
Wylie1

Take it to the dealer this a design/manufacturing defect!
Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #73
KevinBRZ

Drives: BRZ
I have had the squeak since I got it 3 months ago. The window is mega scratched along where the guide or whatever is rubbing. The dealer said they will replace the window if they determine it's a defect.
KevinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #74
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Here's how mine looks like.

The parts have been ordered 2 months and 1 week ago, and it still isn't here yet.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #75
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
Here's how mine looks like.

The parts have been ordered 2 months and 1 week ago, and it still isn't here yet.
I also had this issue on the passenger. I remedied it by cleaning the glass really well ( making sure to get all the rubber residue off), and cleaning the rubber with a silicon window seal friendly lube and worked it in really well. It doesn't do it anymore but the seal is permantly deformed now compared to the driver side. I showed my dealer and they are replacing it at the next oil change.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #76
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
I also had this issue on the passenger. I remedied it by cleaning the glass really well ( making sure to get all the rubber residue off), and cleaning the rubber with a silicon window seal friendly lube and worked it in really well. It doesn't do it anymore but the seal is permantly deformed now compared to the driver side. I showed my dealer and they are replacing it at the next oil change.
What's the silicon window seal friendly lube you used? I cleaned my window and rubber also and it got better, but it's still doing it. Lube probably will help a lot.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #77
Gords_zenith

Drives: WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
What's the silicon window seal friendly lube you used? I cleaned my window and rubber also and it got better, but it's still doing it. Lube probably will help a lot.
Straight from Subaru.
Wurth Lubricating Silicone compound
Btw, They didn't give me it

Tried uploading from photobucket, can't make it work. But I'm using iPhone, so who knows.
Gords_zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #78
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRunner View Post
We've had nonstop rain here in south florida for the past week. I've been getting the sqeaking and the rectangular shaped water marks on the window as well. I tore off the door panel today in a fit of rage and snapped these photos. The red arrows show the culprit for those rectangular water marks. Water is getting inside and my window regulator looks a bit rusted as well. I've only had the car for 6 months now! Wtf subaru!
You guys unhappy with just the sound and the rectangular water/dirt marks - that's not a problem! My driver's door window is terribly scratched after 6 months of use in that "rectangular" areas. The window is scrathed by those things marked red on the photo.

Claimed this as a warranty case - the dealer says they are in e-mail exchange with Toyota on this, for nearly 2 months already!!
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #79
aghuman

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Did anybody here process any warranty claims related to this while having tinted windows? If so did they refuse to warranty it or was it a non issue?
aghuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #80
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghuman View Post
Did anybody here process any warranty claims related to this while having tinted windows? If so did they refuse to warranty it or was it a non issue?
I got tnit from outside of the dealer after I picked up the car. They did not say anything about it and just covered it under warranty. But..., it's been 2 months and 10 days and parts are not here yet... I put some blue painters tape yesterday, and it works well. No rubbing noise and no pinching of rubber.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:30 AM   #81
jermyzy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT
Just had it happen today myself. It only happens when rolling window down, and past 75% mark. Never happened before today...but...it's a LOUD squeal. There also tiny scratch marks on the window now too! Is it worth bringing to dealership to get looked at or is there something I can do myself to get rid of the squeal?
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #82
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Chirps and squeeks..
Our cars are truly one of a kind
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #83
Wylie1

Angry There needs to be a recall...

All of this squeaking, scratching, freezing etc. on FR-S and BRZ windows is due to a basic design defect of the gasket at the bottom of the window opening. There is a totally ineffective seal there that allows excessive water to enter the body of the door during car washing, rain, fog, or anytime a wet window... from dew in the morning for example...is rolled down. There needs to be a redesign of this gasket (one that has a squeegee like edge resting against the window like 99% of all the other cars in the world have might be a good idea...HINT HINT Subaru!). Take your squeaking, scratched cars back to the dealer as many times as you can and YELL. This is ridiculous. I am heading back tomorrow. I have had both window sill gaskets AND the main overhead gasket replace under warranty. The overhead gasket was catching and pinching as described in other parts of this thread and I immediately lightly armor all'd it when I got home...no problems with that so far... But the squeaking is driving me crazy. All you owners in the desert...be glad for the dryness!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #84
weedtank

Drives: Ultramarine
I was at the dealer this weekend and mentioned the squeak. They lubed up the rails and all is fine so far. Let's see how long until it squeaks again.
weedtank is offline   Reply With Quote